Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

infinitejest

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 1, 2016
Orange County, CA
…right between the 10.9 inch iPad Air and the 8.3 inch iPad mini. Anyone else feels the same?
I have the iPad Air and think it’s just a bit too big and heavy for holding it comfortably for a longer period of time (especially for reading books etc.) and the mini is just a bit too small for basic browsing and typing (emails etc.) in my opinion.

Reactions: orbital~debris

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Perfect size is 11”.
Large enough to enjoy everything in a big canvas. Small enough to still hold with two hands and type with ok effort. No, I don’t mean using keyboard. 12.9” way too big. 8” is closer to iPhone size. Small everything hurts eyes more.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Perfect is thoroughly eye of the beholder (requiring somewhat bad eyes at that, given the maximum extreme of the adjective itself- any hint of reservation/doubt/flaw would fail vs. a descriptor like "perfect").

There is no one perfect... except to any lone individual. Mighty Apple passionately argued for YEARS that a 3.5" phone screen was "perfect"... only to then evolve perfection to 4" for a few more years. Strong arguments/contempt/etc were slung for years against phablet screen sizes and now look what we all have. Apparently perfection in 3.5" and then 4" was quite tenuous. And Apple and us can't even make up our minds from the variety of phablet-sized screens.

This is the perfect home, this is the perfect car, this is the perfect mate, this is the perfect pet, this is the perfect outfit, this is the perfect job, this is the perfect temperature, this is the perfect vacation destination, this is the perfect meal, this is the perfect hair style, this is the perfect shoe, etc. I bet you can't even find 2 people out of the 8B on the planet who could answer that short list exactly the same.

Last edited:

infinitejest

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 1, 2016
Orange County, CA
Perfect is thoroughly eye of the beholder (requiring somewhat bad eyes at that). There is no one perfect... except to any lone individual.

This is the perfect home, this is the perfect car, this is the perfect mate, this is the perfect pet, this is the perfect outfit, this is the perfect job, this is the perfect temperature, this is the perfect vacation destination, this is the perfect meal, this is the perfect hair style, this is the perfect shoe, etc. I bet you can't even find 2 people out of the 8B on the planet who could answer that short list exactly the same.
Shot list? You literally mentioned 11 things with basically infinite possibilities. What’s that to do with two iPad sizes?

infinitejest

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 1, 2016
Orange County, CA
Perfect size is 11”.
Large enough to enjoy everything in a big canvas. Small enough to still hold with two hands and type with ok effort. No, I don’t mean using keyboard. 12.9” way too big. 8” is closer to iPhone size. Small everything hurts eyes more.
Make it an inch smaller and I‘d agree with everything you just said 😄

NastyMatt

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2020
31ah-groundhogday-movies-superJumbo.jpg

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
In my mind it changes all the time, I have tablets of all sizes from 7.9 mini 5 to 14.6 S8 ultra, and whats perfect changes according to how I feel, what I do and what I watch. For 18.9 movies the ultra is perfect. For 16.9 it depends, sometimes the mini is ok, the 11" is great, but sometimes I feel the 12.9 is the best... It's a tradeoff, if I am having lunch/dinner and the tablet is sitting on a stand who cares about weight.... screen size is more immersive
If i am moving around all the time with only 1 hand free, that the 11" is a great size.
In bed the mini wins

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
...a watch that could project a hologrpahic image, a la Tony Stark, that you could make bigger or smaller, based on the situation.

:)

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Happy in the 12.9 realm but I was also happy with any other iPad screen size in the previous years. As humans we can get accustomed to small changes like these in no time if we have to.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
…right between the 10.9 inch iPad Air and the 8.3 inch iPad mini. Anyone else feels the same?
I have the iPad Air and think it’s just a bit too big and heavy for holding it comfortably for a longer period of time (especially for reading books etc.) and the mini is just a bit too small for basic browsing and typing (emails etc.) in my opinion.
I don’t think there’s any inherently very specific ideal size for any particular task (reading, browsing, emails, etc). It really just depends on what size the software was designed for. A website or app designed for 13” will look terrible and illegible on an 8” screen. But if it’s designed for 8” it will look great and legible.
The only inherently ideal size has to do with average human physiology—ie. what the average human finds heavy, big, legible, etc. I’m sure Apple has done their homework and has found the current sizes to meet the needs of the tallest areas of the bell curve that represents people’s preferences.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
In my mind it changes all the time, I have tablets of all sizes from 7.9 mini 5 to 14.6 S8 ultra, and whats perfect changes according to how I feel, what I do and what I watch. For 18.9 movies the ultra is perfect. For 16.9 it depends, sometimes the mini is ok, the 11" is great, but sometimes I feel the 12.9 is the best... It's a tradeoff, if I am having lunch/dinner and the tablet is sitting on a stand who cares about weight.... screen size is more immersive
If i am moving around all the time with only 1 hand free, that the 11" is a great size.
In bed the mini wins
Yeah a lot of the right size has to do with where you are more than what specific task you want to do, although that can also be a factor. Say I’m on a bus, no way I’d want anything bigger than a Mini. If I’m at a cafe, 12.9” is best.

Greybeard2017

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2020
Depends on the media and the location - movies are generally better on a large screen but books a smaller screen - and I might compromise on a smaller screen when traveling

Isengardtom

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2009
Personally I would like that apple increases the sizes of the pro models with 1 inch.
A 12” iPad Pro would probably be a very good sweet spot for what I do

i love my 12.9” pro but on a flight for example it can be a bit too big and it’s quite heavy.
maybe something like

8.3 mini
10.9 base model

11 inch air
12 inch pro
13 inch air
14 inch Pro

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
11 inch and 12.9 iPads Pros compliment each other perfectly. The perfect setup is owning both iPads Pros and an iPad Mini for when you're mainly reading and need that delightful pain-free gripping experience.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
Personally I would like that apple increases the sizes of the pro models with 1 inch.
A 12” iPad Pro would probably be a very good sweet spot for what I do

i love my 12.9” pro but on a flight for example it can be a bit too big and it’s quite heavy.
maybe something like

8.3 mini
10.9 base model

11 inch air
12 inch pro
13 inch air
14 inch Pro
While I would love a larger iPad pro, I wouldn't want to give up an 11in pro, unless apple makes a 9in iPad mini pro.
I like having the 3 sizes, but sometimes I use the 11" instead of the mini simply because of some pro features missing on the mini, like quad speakers (if the mini had it I would have taken the mini) or even just more RAM.
So I like the fact that we have a very compact pro and I wouldn't be agaist an even smaller one, but I talk as someone who doesn't need to compromise by chosing one size since I'll get all the sizes anyway...

Reactions: Isengardtom

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
Perfect size is 11”.
Agreed. I have never felt as though I need more display real estate when watching series, films and YouTube on my 11” iPad Pro, TBH.
It has the perfect screen aspect ratio for content consumption.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.