The Perfect Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by THX1139, Feb 1, 2009.

1. THX1139 macrumors 68000

THX1139

Hi everyone,

Since we are always hearing about the problems with the new Macbook Pros, I thought I'd let everyone know that I bought a Macbook Pro 2.53 and it's perfect.

I have been reading so about so many issues with the Rev.A that I seriously thought about waiting for Apple to work the kinks out before taking the plunge. Then I ran into a situation that required me to buy now. I thought about going with the last generation because those don't seem to have as many issues (aside from the graphics card troubles), and there are great sales on them. But in the end, I decided I'd be happier with the newer technology.

Anyway, I finally took the plunge and got my 2.53 at my campus bookstore. They gave an additional $100 buck off the student discount ($200) and threw in a HP all-in-one printer too. I took the machine home and fearfully took it out of the box expecting to see a scratch, or a dent, or finger prints under the glass screen, or loose hinges, or a loose battery cover (did I miss anything?). But after looking it over carefully, I couldn't find any blemishes. It was perfect! Next I booted up and crossed my fingers that I wouldn't have any bad pixels, or buzzing screen, or clicking noises, or over-heating issues (did I miss anything?).

After the boot, I loaded up pixel checker and found the screen to be perfect. Whew! I also tested all of the other hardware and almost everything works perfect. I say almost because when I tried to migrate my data from my mac pro via firewire, the new laptop wouldn't let the data transfer. It got stuck at "waiting for data" or something like that, and the continue button was grayed out. I wound up using ethernet and it took about 5 hours to transfer!!

The only issues I'm trying to get used to is the glossy screen and the loud clicking trackpad. The glossy screen is a love/hate relationship... so I'll leave it at that. The trackpad click is annoying, so I turned on "tap to click", it's much better but I'm still trying to teach myself the subtleties of selecting without causing a double click.

Sorry for the long post, just thought that someone would like to know that there ARE perfect Macbook Pros out there. Don't be afraid to buy, it's a great machine! :D

2. mcavjame macrumors 65816

mcavjame

Nice... good to hear someone can purchase without regret.

Still waiting for next Mac Pro.

3. iNeko macrumors regular

:) that's fantastic news, any idea what production week the macbook pro is? :D These threads just make me anticipate getting mine even more!

4. TheSVD macrumors 6502a

TheSVD

yeah i havent had any of those problems too, mines perfect :D

5. apersianboyCOM macrumors 6502

6. numbersyx macrumors 65816

numbersyx

Me too. Hope it's just as perfect..

7. tcphoto macrumors 6502a

tcphoto

I have had a MBP since the first day it was available. It's early, so I'll give you a little while before you experience your first freeze and hard reboot. I have only had seven in the past three months and I think that I've been lucky. That is the only reason I haven't upgraded to 4GB of RAM.

8. jagilby macrumors newbie

Fingers crossed!

Mine arrives on Wednesday... I hope I can report back with the same experience :D

2.8GHz, 4GB ram, 250GB 7200rpm HDD. Can't wait!!!

9. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

I got a good MB Pro after 3 attempts, and I'm in love now hahaha :D;)
    It's fantastic, I got the 2.53 with the faster hard drive. It's sssooooo much better then the last model.

10. lovetheduns macrumors regular

I was a little timid to purchase my new Pro as well. I got the lower end 2.4. I was fluctuating between the upper level Macbook and this Pro. The killer for me was Firewire since my friend has me make videos of all of her sales horses and I couldn't very well ask her to get a new camcorder.

Plus my coworker is buying my old Macbook for 700.00 so I thought-- well at the end of the day it is not a bad deal (with my EPP discount too).

Mine seems to be perfect. I didn't have a firewire cable to transfer everything from my Macbook so I did it over the wireless-- took 4-5 hours to complete.

I used the pixel testers-- no issues. No worrisome dust-- F keys look straight and nice. My battery is solid and tight. And no overheating-- in fact I dont think I have seen the temp go over 48 celcius.

Mine was built in between the 18th and the 24th (per the serial number application).

11. THX1139 thread starter macrumors 68000

THX1139

I ran the serial number and it said it was built in Shanghai, China the second week of December. Fairly recent so I'm sure Apple has been working on some of the issues. Like for starters, having the factory workers wear gloves in the clean room while installing the glass. LOL.

12. THX1139 thread starter macrumors 68000

THX1139

While I appreciate your situation... you are kind of a "Debbie Downer" eh? First off, you bought yours on day one so your odds of having problems are greater. AND... what makes you so sure that MY machine is going to develop problems later, just because yours did? If it does and it's software issues, I'll deal with it via backups. If it's hardware related, that's what Applecare is for.

Sorry you've had a hard time but don't try to drag others down with you. (cue sound effects (whaaaaa-whaaaaaaa). Okay... just kidding ;)

13. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...this is about to go "down" hill fast...:D

14. jlocalled macrumors member

jlocalled

Bought mine on October 26, only two weeks after the release, and it is still almost perfect after three months. It's the base model, with no upgrades what-so-ever.I don't have any of the problems that are widespread, except for that screenshot+battery+9600M=Freeze Issue. But it is not at all important, as I am never in any circumstance, away from the MagSafe and need a screenshot and on the 9600M GT at the same time. And no, I haven't yet had a hard reboot.

15. Artin macrumors newbie

Awesome! I hope my 17" will be like that! :)

What pixel checker did you use?

Artin

16. iNeko macrumors regular

That's even better news! :) I hope my CTO is a recent build :( shame it's been delayed thanks to the country shutting "due to all the snow" we're having in the UK (Snow indeed, psh, what a joke :rolleyes: )

17. polaris20 macrumors 68020

Mine is perfect too. You hear more problems than you do praises; that's the problem with the internet.

18. Brad Trent macrumors member

Me Too....

After hemming and hawing about what I was gonna do for a second laptop, I also just picked up one of the last-generation 2.6GHZ machines from MacMall who is closing them out...200mb/7200 drive, 4 gig RAM, Applecare...free shipping, no tax...2200 bones all-in. The same thing with the newer model/2.53GHz/250gig-HD was gonna hit me up for $3032.00...and for that I'd have to live with the crapola glossy screen that would make me crazier than I already am! I got it Friday...I'm very happy.

BT in NYC

19. cwwilson macrumors 65816

cwwilson

Great to hear! I will be joining all you fellow MBP owners once I get my tax returns done. The wait is agonizing. :)

20. HarleyMan macrumors member

HarleyMan

Got mine coming mid week too.

I got a 15"MBP coming in this week. Well I'm a realist, so I am pullin' that mine will be a problem free one.......but I gotta say that if the quality of the service I got from the people that took my phone order, is the same quality level that the machine will have...it will be great.

I know, I know, Their all nice to you when they have a shot at getting an order and money from you.....I know lol

And if it's anything like my good old Power Book G4 little workhorse, It will be fine.

And unlike the government, I'll have faith in Apple!

21. Quagmire1088 macrumors newbie

Quagmire1088

i am in much the same position as you, got my 15" comming this week and im just praying that it is all good but you can only hope....

22. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

When I picked up my 2.53Ghz it was also perfect out the box. Still is.

23. DAMNiatx macrumors 6502a

DAMNiatx

i am too....:D

24. designgeek macrumors 65816

designgeek

Yeah, mine is fine aside from fan noise, I wonder if they'll fix it if I send it in. I got mine less than a week after they came out and I haven't noticed any other issues. I use the trackpad with my thumb on the bottom as if there were a button there and that works 98% of the time. I'm excited to maybe upgrade to a SSD and 6GB of ram, even though I didn't get the fastest processor its still a ringer to most other laptops out there.