The perfect OS

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Keniff, May 9, 2009.

1. Keniff macrumors 6502a

Keniff

After using this website/forum for a few months now, I've come to the conclusion that a lot of people seem to moan (ALOT) about different OS systems within different Laptops and desktops...

So, here's my question, can somebody just nail the perfect system?
    Or will we just turn into grumpy geeky old men, and never be happy?

2. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

No.

Unless it's a OS capable of sentient thought and an evolving code-base that can change any aspect of itself to please it's master.

3. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Why would someone want to make the perfect OS? If it was perfect there would be no reason to continue development of any software ever again. That would suck for the economy.

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I'd say the perfect OS is the one that doesn't have rabid fanboy followings that refuse to admit its shortcomings.

5. sapota macrumors member

Best OS depends on what you use it for.

Windows - most popular OS in the world. everything is pretty much menu driven. most software, games, etc available. Windows xp was a huge success. But frequent maintenance(registry clean, disk defragment, adware, etc) driver issues are its drawbacks. comes pre installed in most PCs and is cheaper to begin with.

Linux - Ubuntu, Red Hat, debian...and various versions of it. Great OS. popularity is growing. very popular among self proclaimed geeks. somewhat menu driven; but requires terminal & command line knowledge to install/uninstall stuff. support is somewhat minimal; you have search your way through forums to figure out issues. driver issues are common. cheap (even free versions are there) & can be installed in a variety of PCs.

Mac OS - Great OS...again popularity is growing. used to be popular with self proclaimed geeks, but now that Macs are cool and college kids and more people are switching to it, it somewhat pisses off the old school self proclaimed geeks. But nevertheless takes all the ease of a menu driven approach with the stability of Linux/Unix based systems. driver issues are contained as hardware & OS is from same company. The OS offers lots of features not available on Windows OS & Linux natively. somewhat expensive to start with, but IMO that starting extra expense is averaged out by spending less of your time fixing issues.

I have obviously only touched the basics of the different OSes from a layman point of view. but u shud get the idea.

6. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

The best OS is one that people don't like that much? Interesting:rolleyes:

7. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

What? You can still like something and yet acknowledge it has faults. What does this have to do with... anything?

8. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

If an OS has faults then it is not perfect.

9. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Since "Perfect" is not a hard definition, there will never be a one-size-fits-all solution in the first place. Lock the thread? :)

10. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

True. There will always be someone around to complain.

11. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

Hm... what features did you have in mind? I can think of precious few that fit in this category. In fact, the only ones I can think of right now are multi-touch and CD drive sharing (ala. MacBook Air.)

<facepalm>

That used to be true about 7 years ago, but now it's patently false. Many modern distros are highly GUI-driven. You don't need the terminal or command-line knowledge to install anything. You need the terminal about as much as you need Terminal on OS X.

That's a half truth. The commercial distros (think RedHat Enterprise Linux) offer phone support (which, by the way, MS does not -- at least not to individual users). Canonical (the folks that make Ubuntu) also offer commercial support services, as do many other vendors.

If you're willing to take the DIY route (as you're forced to with Windows, and as many people choose to with Macs), then yes -- you'll likely end up on a forum such as this.

Used to be. Hardware support nowadays is excellent, and a modern distro supports more hardware out of the box than Windows 7.

Yes, there are still driver issues -- but what general-use OS doesn't have those? Mac OS X only runs on an extremely limited hardware set, and Windows has a hell of a lot of driver issues last I checked (about 5 days ago w/ the Windows 7 RC.)

Most distros are free. Some are free, but require payment for the support. A very, very few are actually commercial -- and most users will never want nor need to use said commercial distros.

And yes, it can be installed on damn near anything. :p

12. barkmonster macrumors 68020

barkmonster

That sort of thing makes me imagine some kind of scary hybrid between Vicky in iRobot and Brainiac off smallville?

Bit too dangerous for me. :confused:

13. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Only if it is not perfect. Perfection is by definition something that no one would complain about. That is why perfection is unattainable.

14. mags631 Guest

So perfection is determined by the qualities of its users (being able to admit that...) as opposed to the qualities of the operating system itself?

I think one aspect of a perfect operating system is true "plug and play" -- no drivers ever needed for new hardware devices. Another quality of such a system is that it would never go down or require a reboot (unless you happen to be moving the machine and cannot provide sustained power).

15. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Let me explain it to you then. If it is perfect, then no one will have any complaints. If no one has complaints, then everyone will love it a lot. You claim that the perfect OS is one that users like only a little. If users like an OS only a little, then they have complaints about it. Complaints mean that the OS is not perfect.

Your perfect OS is one that is not perfect by definition.

16. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

I don't think that making an OS is "just" that simple.

can somebody just create the prefect car ? plane ? train ? tv ? engine ? perfect propulsion energy ? perfect economic system ?

Why can't students just make perfect exams ?

I don't know if I miss something in your question but I think the answer is obvious. All OS's developers ARE trying to make "just" the best OS ever ... but things are not that simple otherwise we would live in a perfect work.

17. arjen92 macrumors 65816

arjen92

What's the point of the best os. It's all relative. :p

18. throttlemeister macrumors 6502a

LOL.

Yeah, it supports more hardware. Like everything from last year, and before. So the largest part of its hardware support is completely irrelevant, and if you dare buying the latest and greatest, be prepared to do your own work. If you buy/have mainstream hardware, it is indeed just fine. But please, get off the cool-aid. Hardware support for the stuff you can actually buy today is still and will always be better with Windows than it is with Linux. Unless there is a big mentality change with the hardware manufacturers and they start releasing drivers for Linux when they release them for Windows, or they release the specifications so the smart linux dev people can develop their own.

19. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Yes.

Right, thus the paradox. And you're just incorrectly making an assumption (using subjective terms like "a little") about what I said in the first place.

BTW: I kind of miss your annoying formatting. Whatever happened to all of the bold words distributed throughout your posts? :-(

20. DaSal macrumors regular

I know Linux supporters like to *say* it's false now, but just because the GUI is improving doesn't mean you don't still NEED the terminal in Linux. Cause honestly, you do.

I installed Ubuntu on a laptop and desktop computer in the last 12-6 months (depends on the machine). On both of them I had to do some terminal work to get it to work properly, wether it was manually adding the proper resolutions because it didn't detect my monitor's capabilities properly or adding wireless drivers or proper video drivers.

Not to mention a friend of mine installed Ubuntu just a few weeks ago and I had to help him use the terminal to fix his wireless card, 3G and I had to install NTFSFix using the terminal to mount his external hard drive.

I mean, Linux has lots of positive points, but I'm so over Linux supporters saying you can use it without using the terminal now. Cause it's just not true. The only way you could possibly "use" Linux without using the terminal is if someone else installed the OS and all applications you need for you, so that you don't have to yourself. Then you could "use" Linux without using the terminal, however you definitely can't "install" Linux and all the required applications and fixes without using the terminal.

21. darkcurse macrumors 6502a

darkcurse

Yes there is a perfect OS. And its coming next Tuesday :p

22. robo456 macrumors 6502

robo456

SKYNET? Oh... wait... that's bad.

--rob

23. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

Sigh.

Did I say you could do the initial setup of a Linux box without using the command line?

No. I didn't.

Likewise, I'd never say that you can setup a Windows machine without mucking about with its internals, because for the most part that's just not true.

I do, however, stand by my assertion that a properly configured Linux install won't require the average user to use the terminal at all. I say this because I currently administer a couple dozen Linux machines, all of which are used by non-technical users.

I know, I know... someone will come forth with an anecdote about how "Linux isn't ready for the desktop because my mother can't get two monitors configured with a pair of HD 4850's in Crossfire mode", etc... but the reality is that once the install and configuration is done, it's more than usable by average users.

24. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

I bold for clarity, not to entertain you.

25. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

What, are you saving Amiga OS 4.0 for PPC isn't perfect. :eek: