The PERFECT setup

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ApoorvPrem, Jun 28, 2015.

1. ApoorvPrem macrumors regular

ApoorvPrem

Hi guys...

I have had a Mac 13 2011 for 3 and a half years now. So I decided, its time to change - I will be ordering a Macbook Pro 15 with dGpu - Casual gaming and college work ( CAD and other 3D softwares ). Now my question is - What do you guys use for your setup? I mean, what is the perfect setup? :apple:

1- Monitor - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00UFCVKI4...lid=3D5NWXR983WZV&coliid=I3ST2HZ7MIABY9&psc=1

Now I like this one. It has a nice aesthetic appeal to it and doesn't cost much either. Do you guys think this is the perfect option? I don't want 68K and gazzilion pixels - Something as sharp as a retina or even just near to it would work just fine. I won't be doing ANY photo editing at all. Minor video editing. Medium game playing ( GTA V and the lot - No witcher 3).:confused:

2- Mouse - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002HWRJBM...lid=3D5NWXR983WZV&coliid=I3S61W2NB3LEKP&psc=1

Marques Brownlee (MKBHD youtube) thinks this is quite a good option. And decent price too. Don't want the new one cos it's really REALLY expensive. :rolleyes:

3- Dock - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JEVHYMS...lid=3D5NWXR983WZV&coliid=I35DME854TG244&psc=1

Now the university is providing me with a really small study table. So I liked the idea of having a spacesaver dock like this one. Not to mention it looks sweet!!!:D

4- Keyboard - http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Wire...TF8&qid=1435482717&sr=1-18&keywords=Keyboards

I like my desk clutter free. And so this wireless keyboard. Also its quite affordable.:D

Noe these are my suggesting. Depending on what you guys suggest I would be finalising the list by the next weekend. This would be my most expensive laptop purchase ever and I want it to last. Including the setup. So any suggestions regarding the same would be highly welcome.

Cheerrs!!!:)

2. Studflower macrumors member

You should consider getting a higher resolution monitor if you're going larger than 23".

http://www.amazon.com/PB278Q-27-Inch-LED-lit-Professional-Graphics/dp/B009C3M7H0

I don't know if this is within your budget, but highly recommended if you want a crisp looking screen at a good price. The PB IPS series by ASUS is regarded one of the best IPS on a budget. It's not 4k, but much better than 1080p.

3. applesith macrumors 68020

applesith

I completely agree. I have an ASUS with 1080 and it's awful.

4. ApoorvPrem, Jun 28, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2015

ApoorvPrem thread starter macrumors regular

ApoorvPrem

Oops. Thats almost 150 dollars more!:oops: Its waaaay out of my budget. Any other suggestion? :) Upto 300 dollars ? If not then I will have no choice but to downscale to 23inch.

I found this - Don't know how it will be -

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QS0AKVK/ref=psdc_1292115011_t1_B00JB6HCIC

5. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Anything above 21.5" will need something better than 1920x1080.

So your best option is to stick back to a 21.5" display (1920x1080) to get reasonable clarity.

Try the Dell S2240L. It's lovely.

6. ApoorvPrem thread starter macrumors regular

ApoorvPrem

7. yjchua95 macrumors 604

8. ApoorvPrem thread starter macrumors regular

ApoorvPrem

Thanks! I will go for the Acer then.

9. HFoletto macrumors member

Hi!

About monitor, I would go to this one. It's a 24" QHD display, with a great hardware, solid and good looking.
    Another good thing is the 3 years guarantee, that will replace your monitor even if only one bright pixel is found.

I know it's $20 more than you would like to pay, but I think you could get this differences by getting a somewhat cheaper stand, like the Just Mobile AluBase.

I would also recommend you a Mac specific keyboard. The Logitech K750 is known for its great performance. I have it, and I never, ever had to replace batteries, nor worry about charging. The solar panel works great!
    It's way more expensive than the keyboard you mentioned, however I think you should consider this one. You would also not have to spend money on batteries.

10. ApoorvPrem thread starter macrumors regular

ApoorvPrem

Thanks for your suggestions!!:)

One question - Does this keyboard requires a specific receiver.? Or can I use the logitech mouse and keyboard just with bluetooth of Mac?

I will look in this monitor. Hopefully I will get some sort of store credits from Apple ( Back to school sale ) ,save few dollars and use them here.

11. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

If you're still looking for a decent monitor - try ViewSonic - they have a monitor section on Amazon. I have been using their displays for years and I find them to be very nice. Some of the larger IPS models are quite expensive, but if you're looking for a 1080P display in the 21-23'' range, they have a lot to choose from, from VESA mountable to mirrorless. I've had my current ViewSonic for over 2 years now. It's crisp, bright, and has pretty nice viewing angles for being a $100 1080P monitor. Built in audio as well, while not exceptional, sounds pretty good and it may appeal to you since you don't appear to like clutter.

Perhaps it's not your style as you stated Wireless in your initial post - but I just recently purchased (and reviewed in sig) the new Das Keyboard for Mac. It's wired, but if you're willing to compromise for it being mechanical, having a USB hub and media controls, it's worth a look - quite expensive though.

I'd recommend Logitech for a mouse. They have a nice "control panel" preference panel that you can install into System Preferences that allows you to remap buttons and monitor your battery life amongst other things. I use a basic M510 - which is a $30 mouse that has rubberized grips, side buttons, and vertical as well as horizontal scrolling. If you want something a little more advanced they have the Performance series with the MX and new MX Master.

I can't really comment on the Dock, but a lot of people on this forum seem to toss the name Twelve South around and seem to recommend it. I have no personal opinions though.

I hope this helps.

12. ApoorvPrem thread starter macrumors regular

ApoorvPrem

13. HFoletto macrumors member

You're welcome ^^

Most (if not all) logitech wireless devices uses a little receiver called unifying. You can pair up to 5 logitech devices to one of those receivers. It works nicely, I had no problems. This mouse for example uses this receiver, so you could connect both devices using only one USB port. There are lot more that uses this technology.

14. yukyuklee macrumors 6502

yukyuklee

If you don't mind not having the number pad I'd suggest the Logitech K811!

15. ApoorvPrem thread starter macrumors regular

ApoorvPrem

Oh! That is just too expensive for me :eek:

16. BoneDaddy Suspended

BoneDaddy

I got mine manufacturer refurbished for 60 dollars. It's well worth 100, but you can find them for 40. I usually don't like to push products on to people, especially when they don't have the money, but I'd seriously recommend saving for the k811.

17. ApoorvPrem thread starter macrumors regular

ApoorvPrem

Oh! I will definitely save for it then! But whats so special about it? Why is it so better than the other laptops mentioned above?

18. BoneDaddy Suspended

BoneDaddy

Well it's more a preference matter than which is better. Based on your needs for a wireless keyboard, either of the logitechs will work. It just depends on which features you want. The K811's backlit keyboard is helpful to me. It can be connected to multiple devices, which I need. It is rechargeable through a micro USB cable. Otherwise, I'm sure the other one has some cool features too. You may also want a number pad. I personally don't need one. But they are right about a Mac specific keyboard.

19. yukyuklee macrumors 6502

yukyuklee

Trust me this keyboard is so much better. But you are going to buy a $60 stand for your mbp lol

Yup! I use this on my mbp setup and I can switch the keyboard to work with my Mac mini I think this is worth every penny compared to the one that Apple sells.

20. ApoorvPrem thread starter macrumors regular

ApoorvPrem

Done then. I am getting this :D