The perfect USB-C hub?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jogl, Jun 11, 2019 at 3:09 AM.

1. jogl macrumors member

Hi all.

Officially retiring my Mac pro and making my Mbp my main work machine and struggling to find a decent USB-C hub.

I need Gigabit Ethernet, Displayport/HDMI, passthrough charging for a 15" (ideally with a cable rather than connecting to the side of the laptop) and also a few USB-A&C ports. Not fussed about card reader etc.

What do you all use?
    Only found ones that look like cheap knock offs so far so any help appreciated!

thanks

2. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

I would suggest a dock rather than a hub unless you must have portability. The vast majority of hubs have short, fixed length cords that make them awkward to use once you have all those heavier cables plugged in. I suggest CalDigit’s TS3+.

3. danielrsmith macrumors newbie

I have the OWC Thunderbolt 3 14 Port Dock - https://www.owcdigital.com/products/thunderbolt-3-dock-14-port

It's a big pricy - but it does everything I need it to, including dual monitors, gigabit ethernet, plenty of USB-A ports, and 85W power passthrough. I am using it with a Late 2016 15" MBP.

Full disclosure - I reviewed on for OWC - but would purchase it in a heartbeat.

4. jabbawok macrumors regular

jabbawok

5. dukeblue219 macrumors regular

Any true TB3 dock is going to be in the $200+ range. They're not cheap from any vendor. That said, you don't necessarily *need* a TB3 dock unless you need to attach TB3 peripherals or true TB3 bandwidth (4k at 60Hz for example). There are less-expensive USB-C docks that can still provide GbE, HDMI, USB, and (possibly) pass-through charging. The compatibility of a particular dock/computer combination is always sketchy though.

The VAVA USB C Hub 8-in-1 Adapter ($60) is one option that seems to work well enough for folks. What I can't vouch for is whether it'll deliver enough power with USB PD to charge the 15" MBP (and to be clear you'd still need your charger to plug into this hub -- it doesn't have it's own AC adapter or anything).

6. calliex macrumors member

calliex

I have 13 in mbp 2018. I run two monitors off of it with apple's vga adapters. My computer get very hot doing this would the CalDigit alleviate this problem?

7. jogl thread starter macrumors member

Thanks all, i'll check out the suggested! Wasn't looking to spend £2-300 ideally but it might be worth it going forward.

calliex - I think that's probably your integrated graphics card struggling to run two screens and wouldn't imagine a dock would alleviate the problem as it won't handle any processing? Maybe get an eGpu.

8. hajime macrumors 603

I cannot understand why they removed the silver option.

9. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

CalDigit has a cheaper usb-c option but it has been unavailable for some time. Perhaps an update is coming?

10. BayouTiger macrumors 6502

BayouTiger

I have the ElGato TB3 dock and the OWC TB3 dock. Both work very well, but Both are in the $300 range.