The perfect use case for the 6 plus - travel

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Booji, Feb 17, 2015.

1. Booji, Feb 17, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2015

Booji macrumors 6502a

Booji

There are so many debates on the pros and cons of the 6 versus the 6 plus. However, they mostly focus around the use cases that dominate the user’s daily life - which drive the preference.

In my case, I’m a gadget freak and a frequent traveller. I often combine some leisure with a business trip, and one of the hardest decisions to make is which tech gear to take along because I’m also a very light traveller.

I’ve got lots of stuff to choose from - iPhone 6 (company provided), 6 plus (personal), 5, Xiaomi Redmi, iPad Air 2, Nexus 7 2013, Kindle Voyage, Macbook Air (personal) and a Dell ultrabook (for work). There is other stuff, but those are the items I have to choose from for every trip.

The 6 plus made a huge difference in how much I can leave behind and lighten the load.

Originally the iPad made an impact in that would not have to always have a laptop - I check emails and do some office work in a crunch, and a tablet makes the perfect navigation companion and tourist guide. I later got a Nexus 7 as it was a lot more portable and was just as good for travel purposes. Of course, I would also need my company and personal phone as well.

With the 6 plus, I can leave the tablet behind and now and fits in my pocket - yes its a little big but when I’m in tourist mode with cargo pants or a small bag its miniature in comparison to the Nexus 7 or iPad. Also, its easy to use when you are lost and need directions - small enough to hold in your hand, yet big enough to really take advantage of the maps and apps like TripAdvisior.

Its also good enough to be a serious reader - certainly not as good as the Kindle but for news and light reading its a reason to leave the Kindle behind as well

I’ve also found that the screen is just big enough to be able to use MSOffice. Combined with Dropbox, I can access all my files if some urgent request comes in from work that needs a quick look and turnaround.

So for the travellers out there, think of how great it is to use your 6 plus as a do-it-all travel companion.

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

The 6+ fits great into my regular usage style, I haven't tried it while traveling though. I'm pretty sure I'll have to opportunity to travel for work a few times this year!

3. Booji thread starter macrumors 6502a

Booji

Unlocked of course...to drop in a local pre-pay SIM wherever you go

4. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

I would never go on a trip without at least my iPad and possible my MBAir. I do use my 6+ in a pinch for many things but getting real work done on a spreadsheet, etc is not that much fun on the 6+. It would drive me nuts.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Same here, I can't see taking just a phone, while the 6+ is a nice and the larger size is helpful. I'd rather not try to do what I normally do on a laptop