Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

popinjay

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 24, 2009
This is such an idiotic question, but ever since I connected a second display to my MacBook Pro, every time I open a new Firefox window, it opens shrunken to the smallest possible size in the upper right corner of my screen -- even when the second display isn't connected. How do I get it to recognize my only display as the primary display and open in full size?

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
That is odd. Does this occur in other applications besides Firefox? If not, then... a trip to about:config may be needed. I looked in there, but couldn't find a setting for the size of new windows. The setting might be in Firefox's preference file (a .plist file on Mac OS X).

popinjay

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 24, 2009
It happens only with Firefox -- I think because it was the only application I maximized to full size on the second display.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Try moving Firefox's plist file to the Desktop (while Firefox isn't running) and relaunching it. If that cures the problem, great! However, your preferences will be reset to their defaults.

scienide09

macrumors 65816
May 5, 2007
Canada
Try connecting the external again, moving Firefox to the external, resize the window to something normal, move it back to your main display, then close Firefox. That may help as well.

popinjay

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 24, 2009
I tried both proposed solutions, and neither was effective. I also deleted the application and the plist file and reinstalled Firefox, which didn't work either. But my bookmarks and stuff are all still here, so I assume I didn't do a complete enough uninstallation or something.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.