the Photographer's Library

driftless

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 2, 2011
Chicago-area
I started this thread on a 43's site although it might be at home on MR's as well. I thought that it would informative and interesting to start a list of both the "must have" and recommended books that should be in all photographer's library. How to's, technique, philosophy, biographical, etc. should all be included. Assuming that I can forever edit this first post, we can also compile a list. Thoughts?

How to's
1. Understanding Exposure, Bryan Peterson
2. Understanding Shutter Speed - Bryan Peterson
3. The Photographers Guide To Light - John Freeman
4. Scott Kelby's manuals

Technique
1. Light: Science and Magic: An Introduction to Photographic Lighting by Hunter, Biver, and Fuqua

Magazines
1. EOS magazine (quarterly from the UK)
2. PhotoPlus magazine Canon Edition (from the UK)

Last edited by a moderator:

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
Periodicals for the Library

If you are a Canon user you want subscriptions to:

EOS magazine (quarterly from the UK)
PhotoPlus magazine Canon Edition (from the UK)

You can get the paper copies via Amazon magazine subscription manger for good prices. You can get PhotoPlus electronically via your iPad and save around half compared to it being mailed to North America.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
I'm surprised we made it to the 5th post without someone mentioning Light: Science and Magic: An Introduction to Photographic Lighting by Hunter, Biver, and Fuqua. It's extremely informative and helpful, even for people who work exclusively with available light.

ijohn.8.80

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2012
Adelaide, Oztwaylya.
Add these books I've got on my iPad, and am slowly making my way through...

David Busch - Mastering Digital SLR Photography
David Busch - Digital Photography Bucket List
Scott Kelby - Digital Photography Box Set (1-4)
Bryan Peterson - Understanding Close-Up Photography
Bryan Peterson - Learning To See Creatively
Adobes Classroom In A Book series for whatever programs you need
Chris Johnson - Science For The Curious Photographer
Cyril Harnischmacher - Tabletop Photography
Don Marr - Available Light - Photographic Techniques for Using Existing Light Sources
Evan Sharboneau - Trick Photography & Special Effects
John & Barbara Gerlach - Digital Nature Photography
John Beardsworth - Advanced Digital Black & White Photography
Lee Varis - Mastering Exposure
Mark Galer - Photography Foundations For Art & Design
Michael Freeman - Perfect Exposure
Michael Peres - The Concise Focal Encyclopaedia Of Photography
Nat Coalson - Nature Photography Photo Workshop
Pete Carr & Robert Correll - HDR Photography Photo Workshop
Amanda Quintenz-Fiedler - Ten Photo Assignments To Develop Your Photographic Skills
Rafael Concepcion - The HDR Book
Rick Sammon - HDR Photography Secrets For Digital Photographers
Rob Sheppard - Landscape Photography From Snapshots To Great Shots
Tim Grey - Mastering Exposure In Digital Photography
Tim Grey - The Digital Photographers Guide To Color Management
Yvonne Butler - The Advanced Digital Photographer's Workbook

I've got quite a few others on there too, but they are specific to my make and or model of camera, so I left them out. :eek:

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
Books about some of the great photographers from the past... to borrow from a library, perhaps, rather than buy. It's fascinating to see what they produced, often with big plate cameras, when every exposure had to count. People like Ansel Adams (obviously), Brett Weston, Minor White, Aaron Siskind, etc. Using large-format negatives, they produced images of tremendous clarity, tonality and luminosity. See some original prints (mostly b/w) and they'll take your breath away; seeing them in books is the next best thing.

atari1356

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2004
I really like this one, for great tips on composition:

The Photographer's Eye - Michael Freeman

MacCruiskeen

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2011
Books about some of the great photographers from the past... to borrow from a library, perhaps, rather than buy.
Yes, unfortunately, collecting photo books can get expensive fast. I only own a few--Atget, Weegee, Arbus, Frank. Fortunately, for me, I work for a university with a large art library. Most "how-to" books I find kind of useless. Tim Rudman's books on printing and toning are good. Stroebel is it for large format. John Daido Loori's The Zen of Creativity isn't strictly a photography book, but Loori was a photographer, so there's a strong emphasis on it in the book.

driftless

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 2, 2011
Chicago-area
Yes, libraries are great resources. I would have been better to title this thread as "the Photographer's Reading List" instead.