Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
I got in on this item on Kickstarter called The Plug

It was recommended to me by a friend and it looks pretty interesting
Thought I would share and let you guys check it out yourself

It is already funded

We re-invented how your devices work

Today, most people have files everywhere. They have one content, but multiple devices. So they spend a lot of time just figuring out where are their documents. And they keep moving their files to-and-from tiny Cloud folders.

So we decided to solve this problem, from its root. We redesigned the way your devices store data, from the ground up. And we’ve built Plug.

With Plug, your devices work as a group. They all contain exactly the same files. Just like if they were one single, unique device.

• Play with exactly the same content at all times, no matter which device you’re using.
  • Put thousands of movies on your iPad, even if you bought a small one.
  • Watch family pictures on your connected TV, without having to transfer them.
  • Share confidential folders with your colleagues without sending them to the Cloud companies.
  • Send documents instantaneously.
  • We think you’ll love it.

We made storage as simple as a Plug

Plug is a small adapter that acts like the brain of your devices. It enables you to transform your old USB drives into a special memory, common to your smartphone, tablet and computers. Install Plug, and your devices will start storing all of their content in this common memory, at Home.

It’s fairly easy: just connect Plug to your Home Internet and connect a USB drive to Plug. Install the Plug app on all your devices, and you’re good to go.

malman89

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Michigan
Oh it seems so wonderful and magical... until you scroll down 75% down and see a separate power adapter not in the video.

Still looks incredible, but just knew it was too good to be true.

It still is a wonderful device. This is something missing that has been holding me back from buying something like a MacBook or Ultrabook with a SSD, still probably most commonly found in 128 GB varieties. I have over 200 GB of movies and TV shows alone and don't want to live tied to an external HD or a media hub device. The ability to have all files on all my devices is highly appealing.

Mr Rabbit

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2013
'merica
I have over 200 GB of movies and TV shows alone and don't want to live tied to an external HD or a media hub device. The ability to have all files on all my devices is highly appealing.

You could stream this content right now using Plex... Works well with both iOS devices and Macs, both in the browser and through the Plex client.

ideal.dreams

macrumors 68020
Jul 19, 2010
A power source doesn't concern me at all really

Seriously, it's already got two plugs going in to it and the thing is called "Plug." What's it matter if there's a third plug? :p

But I think I might buy this when it becomes available. I use Dropbox between me and my family so it can get a bit crammed at times, so this would be a nice solution that wouldn't cost nearly as much as Dropbox.

malman89

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Michigan
You could stream this content right now using Plex... Works well with both iOS devices and Macs, both in the browser and through the Plex client.

Does look like an interesting option, but it is about more than just media, which is where something like Plug would be helpful. I'd rather house everything in one than have yet another service to manage.

pavinder

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2009
Functionally it seems incredibly useful. I've backed the project. But the main concern I have is it seems to work a little like the way iTunes "organizes" a music folder into an incomprehensible mess which only iTunes can understand.

Although one's file system and organization will continue to appear normal, and it will appear as if all files from all machines are now available everywhere (wow, great stuff!), what Plug seems to do under the hood is completely reorganize the data from one's machines and external drives into its own format.

So, for example, you can't simply unplug an external drive from the device and connect it to another machine.

Like a lot of the technology now, it comes down to trust, and the willingness to relinquish custom control of one's data to a third party.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.