The Plug: On Kickstarter - Personal Dropbox

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by MacDawg, Aug 2, 2013.

1. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I got in on this item on Kickstarter called The Plug

It was recommended to me by a friend and it looks pretty interesting
    Thought I would share and let you guys check it out yourself

It is already funded

2. malman89 macrumors 68000

Oh it seems so wonderful and magical... until you scroll down 75% down and see a separate power adapter not in the video.

Still looks incredible, but just knew it was too good to be true.

It still is a wonderful device. This is something missing that has been holding me back from buying something like a MacBook or Ultrabook with a SSD, still probably most commonly found in 128 GB varieties. I have over 200 GB of movies and TV shows alone and don't want to live tied to an external HD or a media hub device. The ability to have all files on all my devices is highly appealing.

3. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

Looks good. I still email myself to share photos. :p

4. Squilly macrumors 68020

Squilly

5. MacDawg thread starter macrumors P6

MacDawg

Nope, not even close
    You should read the page completely

----------

A power source doesn't concern me at all really

6. Mr Rabbit macrumors 6502a

Mr Rabbit

You could stream this content right now using Plex... Works well with both iOS devices and Macs, both in the browser and through the Plex client.

7. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

8. ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

Seriously, it's already got two plugs going in to it and the thing is called "Plug." What's it matter if there's a third plug? :p

But I think I might buy this when it becomes available. I use Dropbox between me and my family so it can get a bit crammed at times, so this would be a nice solution that wouldn't cost nearly as much as Dropbox.

9. malman89 macrumors 68000

Does look like an interesting option, but it is about more than just media, which is where something like Plug would be helpful. I'd rather house everything in one than have yet another service to manage.

10. pavinder macrumors member

Functionally it seems incredibly useful. I've backed the project. But the main concern I have is it seems to work a little like the way iTunes "organizes" a music folder into an incomprehensible mess which only iTunes can understand.

Although one's file system and organization will continue to appear normal, and it will appear as if all files from all machines are now available everywhere (wow, great stuff!), what Plug seems to do under the hood is completely reorganize the data from one's machines and external drives into its own format.

So, for example, you can't simply unplug an external drive from the device and connect it to another machine.

Like a lot of the technology now, it comes down to trust, and the willingness to relinquish custom control of one's data to a third party.