Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sleepyyellow

macrumors regular
Original poster
Hey,

I got an iPad 2 not too long ago, and love it, has exactly what i want. So when i bought it already had 5.0.1 installed so i thought ill give this iCloud a go. It backed up everything great, and i bet its good if you have a mac to sync it with, in this case i do have one.
However, once i plugged my iPad in to charge, and iTunes started doing its annoying background stuff, and after the pad was fully charged i unlocked it and saw all my stuff erased. obviously i must have pressed something, but then i thought no worries i got this iCloud backup. Great, i have no way to restore my backup.

so my question is whats the point if you can backup but not restore, unless you do a factory reset? Of course each time i want to do a factory reset i get those annoying error messages!!

for some stuff i wouldn't mind to use iCloud, but not if i can't restore in case it formats. is there away to use both iTunes and iCloud backups?

cheers,

swordfish5736

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2007
Cesspool
you may have to select what you want to sync with the ipad in itunes if it hasnt been done before. There is a check box on the main screen in itunes when you select the ipad that says back up this device to itunes or icloud. Mine is set to backup to icloud so my iphone and ipad will backup on there own every night but i still have wifi sync enabled so if i want to sync with the computer i can do that also.

You can restore from an icloud backup but you have to force the setup page to allow you to select restore from icloud. I do not know how to do this but im sure this is a way.

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
To restore from an iCloud backup, you must first "Erase All Content and Settings" on the device itself. Then when going through the setup, you can choose to restore from iCloud.

You can use both iCould and iTunes backups.

Not really. When one is on, it disables the other from backing up. You'd have to change your settings on the device every time before backing up to iCloud or iTunes.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Not really. When one is on, it disables the other from backing up. You'd have to change your settings on the device every time before backing up to iCloud or iTunes.

What you do is, you keep the device set to iCloud backup. Then, whenever you connect to iTunes, you right-click the device icon in iTunes, and select "backup" from the pop-up menu. This way, you have a backup both in iCloud and iTunes.

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
What you do is, you keep the device set to iCloud backup. Then, whenever you connect to iTunes, you right-click the device icon in iTunes, and select "backup" from the pop-up menu. This way, you have a backup both in iCloud and iTunes.

Does it actually backup? I was under the impression it wouldn't.

sleepyyellow

macrumors regular
Original poster
weird i set this post to instant email me, never received one so i didn't think anybody bothers to reply lol. well now i checked...thanks. i will check it out.

@ HazyCloud
i tried the eras all data and content, but it was formatting for over an hour so i googled it and it said it takes a couple of hours so i thought in that time i might as well restore it myself.

@ CRIIM44
i don't quite get it. so it just iCloud backup and wifisync? so my mac (iTunes) has to be open to do this wifi sync?

Well actually my main concern is right now if i would do an iCloud backup, would it erase everything again? since i travel a lot (US and Europe) i got two iTunes account so i can get pandora netflix etc in the us and similar stuff on the european market. as of now it all works great with the backups with iTunes, don't know how iCloud will deal with it.

Last edited:

Ashwood11

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2010
US
To restore from an iCloud backup, you must first "Erase All Content and Settings" on the device itself. Then when going through the setup, you can choose to restore from iCloud.

I back up to both and I never change my settings.

Diane B

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2010
Western NC foothills
moving from one Ipad to upgraded

I have gen 1, IOS5.0.1 and backup daily to Icloud. Am I backing up the whole Ipad as when I do backup in Itunes? (I have certain apps like Goodreader set to backup but I have to admit I'm a bit confused how this is working--admit I don't feel very secure using Iclouds so am redundant using Dropbox for all my apps that are integrated with it). When I buy Ipad 3 will I be able to move content, apps to Ipad 3 by using restore? I want to be sure I will be doing it correctly and not lose all my content, of which there is a lot. Quite a bit is also on Dropbox, but that gets very time consuming to reinstall from there. In upgrade to 5.0 I had to restore a lot of apps from app store--it did not completely restore so I'm a bit wary. I have done firmware upgrade to 5.0.1 and am thrilled I don't have to do the Itunes thing for firmware but a bit nervous about ugrading Ipad. I also plan to keep Ipad 1, wiping it and using for Rhapsody downloads and other music as my Touch is showing its age. Haven't figured out the order in which to do what and how LOL.

Diane

iKIKO

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2011
i think iCloud is one of the best things apple has made. i love it. how it backups your contacts and add them to your other devices. absolutely love it. cant imagine doing it without it now :D

sleepyyellow

macrumors regular
Original poster
i think iCloud is one of the best things apple has made. i love it. how it backups your contacts and add them to your other devices. absolutely love it. cant imagine doing it without it now :D

for that stuff i use google :p

i don't know how you guys manage to backup to iTunes and iCloud because when i select backup to iCloud on my iPad it says it will no longer backup to iTunes and the same when i do this in iTunes, which i think is bull!

DefBref

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2011
Selecting backup for one service (itunes or cloud) switches off automatic backup to the other. However its still possible to manually backup to either service at any time.

itunes: right click on your iphone/ipad under devices and select backup.

icloud: settings - icloud - storage and backup - backup now.

kobyh15

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I use iCloud to sync my calendars, app store purchases, song purchases, etc. across my iPhone and MacBook Pro. I don't use it to backup my phone though. I backup to my computer. I just don't know if I'm ready to backup to the cloud yet. Haha, I have this terrible paranoia that when something actually does happen that I'll go to backup from iCloud and all my stuff won't be there. But anyway, I have a question that may be slightly off-topic. So I am thinking about getting the iPad 3 when it is introduced. I know that iCloud can be used to sync apps across all your iOS devices. So my question is, when you buy an iPhone app, will iCloud sync that iPhone specific app to your iPad? Or will it know that you need the iPad version of that app and download that version specifically? I ask because I know that certain apps have iPad-specific versions that take advantage of the extra screen space, and I don't want to miss out on that.

Jare

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2010
Canada
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I use iCloud to sync my calendars, app store purchases, song purchases, etc. across my iPhone and MacBook Pro. I don't use it to backup my phone though. I backup to my computer. I just don't know if I'm ready to backup to the cloud yet. Haha, I have this terrible paranoia that when something actually does happen that I'll go to backup from iCloud and all my stuff won't be there. But anyway, I have a question that may be slightly off-topic. So I am thinking about getting the iPad 3 when it is introduced. I know that iCloud can be used to sync apps across all your iOS devices. So my question is, when you buy an iPhone app, will iCloud sync that iPhone specific app to your iPad? Or will it know that you need the iPad version of that app and download that version specifically? I ask because I know that certain apps have iPad-specific versions that take advantage of the extra screen space, and I don't want to miss out on that.

If you enable automatic downloads on the new iPad, yes.

kobyh15

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2011
So the iPhone apps that I already have on my phone (Facebook, for example) will automatically download to the new iPad as their iPad-specific version?

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
So the iPhone apps that I already have on my phone (Facebook, for example) will automatically download to the new iPad as their iPad-specific version?

No. They will just download the iPhone versions. You'll have to check the app store to see if there are iPad versions of your apps. Some apps are universal (marked with a "+" sign in the app store). Those will switch to the iPad interface when installed on an iPad.

Jare

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2010
Canada

No just the ones you download after you enable it on the iPad. And they'll be whatever version you downloaded on the iPhone itself.

kobyh15

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2011
So will I have to pay again for the iPad versions of paid apps (Angry Birds, for example) that I already have on my iPhone? And it looks like if I want an app specifically for iPad (Goodreader) I need to just buy it on my iPad.

Jare

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2010
Canada
So will I have to pay again for the iPad versions of paid apps (Angry Birds, for example) that I already have on my iPhone? And it looks like if I want an app specifically for iPad (Goodreader) I need to just buy it on my iPad.

Correct.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.