Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

The Pokémon Company Releases New 'Pokémon Duel' Strategy Game for iOS

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The Pokémon Company today launched its newest game designed for iOS devices, debuting Pokémon Duel. Pokémon Duel is a strategy board game where the goal is to collect a range of different Amiibo-style Pokémon figures, each of which has unique abilities.

Six Pokémon figures are used to build a deck, and with a deck, players can compete with other gamers around the world in ranked League Matches.

According to the app's description, the object of each game is to be the first player to get a figure to the other player's goal, carefully choosing a route and using strategy to outmaneuver an opponent.
The rules are simple! The object is to be the first player to get one of your figures to your opponent's goal. How will you get to the goal? You'll need to carefully choose your route! In duels, you and your opponent take turns moving your figures. Set up a strategic formation and attack your opponent, or simply block their path--it's all about tactics! Plan your strategy and defeat your opponents in this game of cat and mouse!
Pokémon Duel is compatible with iPhones and iPads running iOS 8 or higher. The game is free to play, but includes gems that can be purchased in-app to speed up and enhance gameplay.

Pokémon Duel was previously available to iOS users in Japan, but is today expanding to the United States and other countries around the world.

Pokémon Duel can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: The Pokémon Company Releases New 'Pokémon Duel' Strategy Game for iOS

trainwrecka

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2007
Earth
Those digital figures look like they would fetch a lot of cash in the "toys-to-life" genre. My kids love the amiibo Pokemon figures.

Comment

WRChris

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2016
Indiana

The Pokémon Company today launched its newest game designed for iOS devices, debuting Pokémon Duel. Pokémon Duel is a strategy board game where the goal is to collect a range of different Amiibo-style Pokémon figures, each of which has unique abilities.

Six Pokémon figures are used to build a deck, and with a deck, players can compete with other gamers around the world in ranked League Matches.

According to the app's description, the object of each game is to be the first player to get a figure to the other player's goal, carefully choosing a route and using strategy to outmaneuver an opponent.Pokémon Duel is compatible with iPhones and iPads running iOS 8 or higher. The game is free to play, but includes gems that can be purchased in-app to speed up and enhance gameplay.

Pokémon Duel was previously available to iOS users in Japan, but is today expanding to the United States and other countries around the world.

Pokémon Duel can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: The Pokémon Company Releases New 'Pokémon Duel' Strategy Game for iOS
Why would the Pokémon company want to create an app? They could/should have just helped Niantic by adding in these features(battle) to pogo. I've only got room for 1 Pokémon game on my phone and neither option looks very good.

Comment

DeepIn2U

macrumors 604
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Why would the Pokémon company want to create an app? They could/should have just helped Niantic by adding in these features(battle) to pogo. I've only got room for 1 Pokémon game on my phone and neither option looks very good.

Revenue is shared with Niantic like Pokemon Go with Nintendo. You'll see this stopping with future iOS Nintendo Games, that you can trust. Plus control and support structure is a bit of a mess but was done VERY well for this type of collaboration.

These figurines look like those Disney released for Nintendo Wii that was killed. I got a Tron Legacy one just for nostalgia reason's. I may seek out the Black Panther one if it really exists.

Comment

Iconoclysm

macrumors 68020
May 13, 2010
Washington, DC

Developers can't just jump into another project and make it good - that usually leads to making it very, very bad. Also, Niantic is probably the best dev around for their sort of genre. There are other Pokemon games on the phone too, by the way.

Comment

bulldoze

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2011
Nintendo really need to release a Pokemon card game similar to Clash Royale. Kids round here play Pokemon Go (although the interest is waning) but they love swapping Pokemon cards.

Clash Royale is king with the kids at the moment - a card battler.

Pokemon Duel is nowhere near as polished.

Comment

WRChris

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2016
Indiana
Developers can't just jump into another project and make it good - that usually leads to making it very, very bad. Also, Niantic is probably the best dev around for their sort of genre. There are other Pokemon games on the phone too, by the way.
You are the only person who has ever claimed Niantic are good at anything. I'm not talking about rockstar jumping in to help, I was talking about the Pokémon company. I'm pretty sure the only liscensed Pokémon games are go and now duel. It's easiest to be the best when you are alone. Niantic are not good, they are the exact opposite of a good software developer.
[doublepost=1485371724][/doublepost]
Revenue is shared with Niantic like Pokemon Go with Nintendo. You'll see this stopping with future iOS Nintendo Games, that you can trust. Plus control and support structure is a bit of a mess but was done VERY well for this type of collaboration.

These figurines look like those Disney released for Nintendo Wii that was killed. I got a Tron Legacy one just for nostalgia reason's. I may seek out the Black Panther one if it really exists.
I can't complain about the plus because I won't buy it regardless, but the pogo watch app is a freaking joke. Your last sentence is confusing to me, the plus control and support is a MESS but was done VERY WELL?

Not sure why I even care. I quit playing when they gave everyone charizard after I walked 400km to get mine.

Last edited:
Comment

DeepIn2U

macrumors 604
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
You are the only person who has ever claimed Niantic are good at anything. I'm not talking about rockstar jumping in to help, I was talking about the Pokémon company. I'm pretty sure the only liscensed Pokémon games are go and now duel. It's easiest to be the best when you are alone. Niantic are not good, they are the exact opposite of a good software developer.
[doublepost=1485371724][/doublepost]

I should've been more specific about Niantic being a 'good' developer. I meant to specify that although so many company's have tried and failed miserably at Virtual Reality mixed with the real world, the Pokemon Go application has done this with Aplomb and done quite well considering hiccups and hacks of cornering people to a location to jack them for their phones or taking over private property lawn's we've read about. Actually this proves they've done great wtih this implementation because the accuracy and geo-fencing over an LTE network is quite accurate all things considered. Nobody can mention 1 competing application that uses Virtual Reality over real camera use along with geo-fencing as accurately or over so many devices. nobody, not yet anyway.

I can't complain about the plus because I won't buy it regardless, but the pogo watch app is a freaking joke. Your last sentence is confusing to me, the plus control and support is a MESS but was done VERY WELL?

Not sure why I even care. I quit playing when they gave everyone charizard after I walked 400km to get mine.

I never got to use the actual Disney Inifinity [site] system in any way ... just purchased the Sam Flynn character for nostalgia reasons - I loved the original movie as it has such greate introduction to the world of computers to the mainstream consumer. I idea of what a "user" was. And somewhat very subtly how programmers or programs 'shun' the idea of the "user" being a first class citizen in control of the system. Ahem launch a program on Win7/Win10 or less so on macOS/OSX after Panther and you'll see that SPLASH screen dead center pops-in-your-face EVEN after you launch and quickly switch over to a another app to read/review/enter data in BOOM "Splasssh screeeen".

Comment

zohaali146

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2016
The game seems great, just checked it in itunes, will gonna try it for sure since its a free game with in-app purchases :D

Comment

zohaali146

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2016
Gor the game guys, its worth trying, I will recommend it to you all, its a free game, at least you shoul all give it a try

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.