The POP server "pop.gmail.com" rejected...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by garyjcarr, Aug 13, 2008.

1. garyjcarr macrumors member

garyjcarr

Has this happened to you? My mail 'stamp' at the bottom of my computer will for no apparent reason start bouncing up and down and a message will appear
    in a box on my desktop that says: The POP server "pop.gmail.com"rejected the password for user "carr.gj". Please re-enter your password or cancel. There appears a box to write my password in. I enter it and every things fine and then it happens again. The other day it repeated itself at least 15 times.
    The other thing is I have an account that I cancelled with a server. When I delete that account I know my mail will be gone with that account however will my mailboxes that I have stored under "on my MAC" be lost as well?
    Thanks Gary

2. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

no, the mail IS ON UR MAC afterall. sorry if it seems rude to have everything caps, but it is ON ur mac, so no worries. and to the problem, just delete the account and add it back. or retype the port number, and the mail server (out and in) ip addresses. sometimes it corrupts the ip addresses and that screws things up.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It usually means the Gmail server is temporarily unavailable, either due to your connection, or just busy. Do you have the password stored in your Keychain? If so, you don't need to enter it... it will be automatically filled in for you. Also, you may want to check out using IMAP for your Gmail protocol, instead of POP. It works great!

4. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

enable both the POP and IMAP. and just sort of "reset" everything, sometimes port numbers are changed, outgoing mail server is changed, etc.

5. garyjcarr thread starter macrumors member

garyjcarr

thanks for the tip.

How do you enter a password in your keychain?

6. absurdio macrumors 6502

This DOES happen to me. And boy is it irritating. The worst part is, if i check the "Remember password in keychain" box, it makes no difference at all. The same window will pop up again a few seconds later, prompting me for the same (correct) password I'd just supplied.

Ugh.

7. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68020

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
  8. Mpulsive81 macrumors 6502

This is the website i used to configure both my gmail accounts to Apple Mail. Worked like a charm.