The Portability + Added Monitor Question

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Cyber Don, Nov 19, 2011.

1. Cyber Don macrumors newbie

Nov 19, 2011
    Hello guys! Nice forum! :)

My name is Goutham and i'm from india.

basically, i need a mac for business purposes. I was planning on a hackintosh build but somehow it does not appeal to me! :)

I was also considering the iMac, but the fact that i need to travel puts the iMac out of question.

What i've decided is

Get a MacBook pro or air.
    Connect it to a big screen around 21"
    Get a keyboard + magic mouse

My Basic needs:

Absolute Zero gaming, i prefer to game on a console, planning a PS3 :p
    Play HD movies/videos without any lag :D
    Resolution of over 1920X1080 when connected to a bigger monitor. :D

I'm really not sure if the Intel 3000 series would actually help playing HD on a huge monitor. Do i have to go for the airs which have the AMD cards?

I'm not worried about the storage because i wont have too much of music on the air, probably around 20-30GB at the max.

With the budget in mind, i guess the 11" air or the 13" pro would be fine. What do you suggest? Especially with the HD factor?

Thanks a lot guys! :)
  2. Epic Xbox Revie macrumors 6502a

Epic Xbox Revie

Jun 15, 2010
    Washington, D.C.
  3. Cyber Don thread starter macrumors newbie

Nov 19, 2011
    is it the 4GB RAM or the 2GB RAM MBA you're using? I guess 4GB would be helpful, but the price difference between the 4GB RAM MBA and the 13" Basic MBP isnt too much!
  4. Cyber Don thread starter macrumors newbie

Nov 19, 2011
    i've sorta decided on the high end 11" air. but a question regarding performance and heating issues troubles me... :|

i'll be using it for HEAVY daily work, including but not limited to full HD movies on an external monitor, music running all the time, some heavy-not so heavy downloads including zip files that will be compressed and zipped.

will the air be able to hold on? most importantly, i don't think i'll switch it off.. the only thing i might be doing is putting it to sleep..

suggestions please.!!
  5. jdechko macrumors 68040

Jul 1, 2004
    If you're just doing playback, the 11" /4GB/128GB should be fine, including up to 1080p movies (depending on encoding).