Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cyber Don

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 19, 2011
Hello guys! Nice forum! :)

My name is Goutham and i'm from india.

basically, i need a mac for business purposes. I was planning on a hackintosh build but somehow it does not appeal to me! :)

I was also considering the iMac, but the fact that i need to travel puts the iMac out of question.

What i've decided is

Get a MacBook pro or air.
Connect it to a big screen around 21"
Get a keyboard + magic mouse

My Basic needs:

Absolute Zero gaming, i prefer to game on a console, planning a PS3 :p
Play HD movies/videos without any lag :D
Resolution of over 1920X1080 when connected to a bigger monitor. :D

I'm really not sure if the Intel 3000 series would actually help playing HD on a huge monitor. Do i have to go for the airs which have the AMD cards?

I'm not worried about the storage because i wont have too much of music on the air, probably around 20-30GB at the max.

With the budget in mind, i guess the 11" air or the 13" pro would be fine. What do you suggest? Especially with the HD factor?

Thanks a lot guys! :)

Cyber Don

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 19, 2011
i've sorta decided on the high end 11" air. but a question regarding performance and heating issues troubles me... :|

i'll be using it for HEAVY daily work, including but not limited to full HD movies on an external monitor, music running all the time, some heavy-not so heavy downloads including zip files that will be compressed and zipped.

will the air be able to hold on? most importantly, i don't think i'll switch it off.. the only thing i might be doing is putting it to sleep..

suggestions please.!!

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
If you're just doing playback, the 11" /4GB/128GB should be fine, including up to 1080p movies (depending on encoding).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.