Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

12dylan34

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
So After waiting 9 months to buy an iMac when the slim ones came out, I've learned my lesson about playing the waiting game.

Now, my needs have changed, and I'm selling said iMac to get a rMBP instead. I was wondering however, what the expectations for a potential speed bump at WWDC was, though, since buying the laptop is contingent on the sale of my iMac and I've got some time to burn anyway.

Since I couldn't find any speculation on this specifically independent from the Broadwell threads, I was wondering when people think such a Haswell update might happen?

borgqueens

macrumors member
Aug 10, 2013
Denmark
So After waiting 9 months to buy an iMac when the slim ones came out, I've learned my lesson about playing the waiting game.

Now, my needs have changed, and I'm selling said iMac to get a rMBP instead. I was wondering however, what the expectations for a potential speed bump at WWDC was, though, since buying the laptop is contingent on the sale of my iMac and I've got some time to burn anyway.

Since I couldn't find any speculation on this specifically independent from the Broadwell threads, I was wondering when people think such a Haswell update might happen?

Hi the speed bump will be a small one at best. There are no rumors that I know of that indicates that at the WWDC they will release a upgrade rMBP. However the speed bump is overdue so who knows.

Anyways I think it will be between 100MHz to perhaps 300MHz so 0.3GHz at best. Nothing you will notice when using it.

There is a good chance that the iMac will get cheaper in this summer but I do not think they will make the rMBP cheaper again this time.

I actuarially got tied of waiting for the back to school event and ordered an rMBP last week. However if you buy songs and movies in iTunes you can wait for the bad to school and score 100$ gift card.

I actuarially asked a similarly question a few weeks ago and the responses I got was that the speed bump is not worth the wait. Also the coronet rMBP is suppose to be a very good and fast notebook ( getting my rMBP the on thursday so don´t know from personal experience. )

Hope this helps

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I was wondering however, what the expectations for a potential speed bump at WWDC was
Slim to none, Apple hasn't released any new Macs or announced any updates in WWDC for a very long time. I'd say the focus as it has been for the past few years is iOS/iPhone. that means we'll not see any announcement on a speed bump.

Even if it were a speed bump, I'd say it would be minor in nature, if you want to get one now, go for it.

arctic

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2008
As much as I'd love to see the Apple Store silently surprise us with a quiet update anyday now, I'm going to be conservative and go with Kuo's forecast. That said, this speed bump would be coming after we get the iPhone 6 this fall. It's sad that it's a long way off. This means the Broadwell updates will be a few months away (2015), thanks to Intel's "timely" production.

Attachments

• applekuoroadmap.jpg
    applekuoroadmap.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 164

MrT-Man

macrumors regular
Jan 22, 2008
This means the Broadwell updates will be a few months away (2015), thanks to Intel's "timely" production.

No, that rumor has been discredited. Last week Intel said that Broadwell would "qualify for shipping to customers" at the end of June, which would seem to suggest that we could very well see Broadwell MacBooks in the fall.

arctic

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2008
No, that rumor has been discredited. Last week Intel said that Broadwell would "qualify for shipping to customers" at the end of June, which would seem to suggest that we could very well see Broadwell MacBooks in the fall.

I see where you're coming from. Brian Krzanich's statement in the earnings call is due to Intel's retaliation to the slump in PC sales. It's optimistic but until I see specific chip designations and further details, there's no clear way of knowing if these are successors to the current chips utilized in the Macbook Pros. As of now, we still don't have concrete signs of upgraded versions to the i7-4750HQ and the i7-4960HQ. The mid-range chip i7-4860HQ alone is not gonna cover the whole lineup.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.