The potential of the iPod Touch (and iPhone).

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by JWest, Oct 6, 2007.

1. JWest macrumors 6502

It may not be marketed this way, but there's no denying that the iPod touch (and iPhone) are the closest things we've had to an iPDA since the newton.
    I think Apple needs to start making some 1st party apps for this thing (maybe make them available for download off of iTunes).
    These devices have the power to run:
    - The same apps (mail on iPod touch please?)
    - Mobile office applications (iWork Mobile anyone?)
    - Mobile "Widgets" perhaps
    - PDA-esque accessories (external keyboard support and such. This kind of goes hand-in-hand with the iWork mobile idea)

They also have the potential to be used for more entertaining purposes. For example, wouldn't it be nice to hook up your iPod touch to your TV or stereo system and use it to stream content from iTunes like the Apple TV? The hardware's there, it just needs software.

And my final point is the thing everyone wants: An open, easily accessible development environment, IE- User created content.
    I know Apple likes to have control over it's software, but they can't ignore the cries forever. It's something everyone wants, why not give it to us?

These devices have a lot of potential, particularly in the realm of software. I think we need to see more development happening in these areas.

What are your thoughts?

2. mufasa macrumors member

I agree it should include these apps as well as a new York times/news app

3. jackc macrumors 65816

jackc

No, I am against further development. It's just an iPod.

(kidding)

4. JWest thread starter macrumors 6502

Let's hope that Apple doesn't continue to take this stance :)

5. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

i agree with op all along, those who just like ipod, just use your ipod, our need does not harm your usage of the device
    However, I want open platform for 3rd part apps too,

6. tm1000 macrumors member

Considering they sell and make (or try to) money off of the appleTV I doubt this feature would ever be put into the ipod or iphone product line. I'm not saying it shouldn't be there because I fully agree with you, I just doubt it.

Now im off to go buy my composite cable for my touch!

7. jepaz macrumors regular

8. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

Chatter on one Podcast this week suggested that Apple might seek to have an approval program to allow new 3rd party Apps on both devices. And they may also sell them via iTunes as part of this arrangement like they do for games.

9. iCantwait macrumors 65816

iCantwait

please hold while we foward you to apple.

Why tell us? Email Steve.

10. Dublo7 macrumors regular

Some first party apps would be great. I'd probably fork out a few dollars for them, if need be.

11. JWest thread starter macrumors 6502

I just doubt that my words alone would change Apple's stance.

I'll try anyway though, it'll be interesting to see the response I get (if I get one).

12. sundayx macrumors member

13. Four20 macrumors 6502a

Four20

hate to tell you but Apple will never market the ipod touch as a pda.

The Newton II is coming. . .

14. TurboSC macrumors 65816

TurboSC

hahah the new Newton.. that'll be interesting indeed. all they really need is an ultraportable do it all laptop... ( and the new freaking macbookpros need to hurry up and come out )

15. JWest thread starter macrumors 6502

Just thought of another one: Mobile iChat. 'Twould be cool.

16. jolshwar macrumors newbie

iPod apps have to be coming:

Apple, who is so design orientated would not leave the iPod's home screen so bland
    therefore: iPod apps will definitely come... at a cost!

17. JWest thread starter macrumors 6502

I'd be more than willing to pay for more apps. It makes sense to me. They should have an iTunes "App Store".

18. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

I think they should just open up development. This things runs OS X and is limited to like 5 apps... WTF?

19. TheBonk macrumors 6502

TheBonk

The Touch has alot of potentional to survive for years to come. I see many hardware possibilities. There's the possibility of iSight with iChat. It could definently get a larger screen. I have a Touch, it seems like a waste of space to leave the top part of it empty. Why not extend length of the screen? I bet Apple could get rid of the home button and make the front side all screen. Instead of a physical home button, you could have a virtual home button on the screen.

Now I'm no expert on Wi-Fi but I think something like satellite Wi-Fi would be a HUGE plus in the Touch. I'd love to have Wi-Fi in a remote location, or if I'm on vacation in Europe. There's also that wireless spectrum that is being auctioned in January. It would be great if Apple could get that.