the power of magnets....

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TheSVD, Feb 11, 2009.

1. TheSVD macrumors 6502a

TheSVD

after having used my MBP with an external monitor on my desk for a few hours, i realised that the left corner area of it was, well, right next to a blummin speaker!
    Okay call me stupid, but im kinda tired so i didnt really notice.
    Im not sure if these speakers are magentically shielded, but aside from obvious HDD damage, what kinda damage could this have done to my MBP?
    I have noticed, after just unplugging it, that the battery life reading is odd - it says 2 hours, but barely goes down!
    As opposed to 5 hours going down in real time, this says 2 hours but its going down reeeeal slow
    gunna reset pram, smc and calibrate battery to try fix this though.
    So yeah, what could this speaker have done to my MBP? :(
    sig machine, btw.

2. taru91 macrumors regular

taru91

I'm not an expert on this kind of stuff, but I think the biggest damage a magnet can cause is damaging the screen, although I'm not sure if LCD or LED screens are damaged by magnets like CRT's

3. Mark2000 macrumors regular

Mark2000

All apple computers have magnets in them more powerful than your speakers. The MBP has magnets to pull the hooks out when you close your lid, for instance. Don't worry about it.

4. Apple Corps macrumors 68020

Mark - do you know the gauss rating of any of the magnets that you are commenting on?

5. nikhsub1 macrumors 68000

nikhsub1

Depends on the speakers, as a blanket statement this is not correct... I agree with the second part though, don't worry about it.

6. Mark2000 macrumors regular

Mark2000

Well, I know they those magnets in the machines, especially the magnet only lids, attract more forcefully that any desktop speakers. So I stand by my statement.

7. PeterQC macrumors 6502a

PeterQC

Someone from my program ruined his hard drive with a magnet. I don't know how he did and how strong it was, but it did happened. It was on a classic MBP though

8. Apple Corps macrumors 68020

Mark - that is because of their proximity to the lower lid versus the distance of the magnet in the speaker. Magnetic field strength degrades exponentially as a function of distance as this formula clearly demonstrates:

Attached Files:

9. Nikos macrumors 68000

Nikos

I wouldn't worry about it. I've had my macbook and apple cinema display right next to my studio monitors without any issues. Not to mention right next to huge speakers when playing in clubs.

10. linuxophile macrumors regular

Well, the formula clearly demonstrates that the field decays with a power law, definitely not exponentially.

11. Apple Corps macrumors 68020

Well - here is the clip from the magnet site that also provided the formula:

Attached Files:

• X1.jpg
      X1.jpg
      File size:
      88.3 KB
      Views:
  12. DNSgeek macrumors newbie

CRTs are affected by magnets. Try this magnetic experiment; Take a paperclip and run it along the flat surface around the edge of an iMac screen. Surprise!

13. TheSVD thread starter macrumors 6502a

TheSVD

gee thanks for all the replys!
    theyre 120w bookshelf speakers, and the MBP was sitting next to them
    i was just making sure no damage to an internal components could be done :D