The Powerbook G4 -> Arrandale Club

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by rawd, Jan 15, 2010.

  1. rawd macrumors regular

    Aug 20, 2008
    Current model:

    15" Titanium PB G4 1ghz
    - Cracked case in various places
    - Occasional flickering screen, fixed by closing and reopening the screen several times
    - Optical drive has been completely dead for ~1 year
    - AC Adapter cable is hanging by a thread.
    - Syncing 32gig iPod touch over USB 1.0 for ~1 year... shoot me

    Will be purchasing a 15" version of the forthcoming Arrandale refresh. ;)
  2. maflynn Moderator


    Staff Member

    May 3, 2009
  3. DaWooster macrumors member

    Aug 23, 2009
    While the topic title is spot on, the guy's post isn't helpful at all describing what the aim of the topic is.

    Basically in the Arrandale thread, people noticed that there were a rather large number upgrading from Pre-intel PowerBook G4s. This thread was intended to facilitate learning how many PowerPC Laptop owners were finally upgrading to the next refresh.
  4. Eric S. macrumors 68040

    Eric S.

    Feb 1, 2008
    Santa Cruz Mountains, California
    I have an iBook G4 and an aluminum unibody MB. I don't expect to be looking for another laptop for at least a year, probably longer.
  5. Aldaris macrumors 68000


    Sep 7, 2004
    Salt Lake
    I'm in agreement with this thread.

    Even though there are many looking forward to the Arrandale cpu in the MacBook Pro. I know there are many with TiBooks, and the early Aluminum. Even with Mac OS being the amazing software it is there are differences between the PPC and Intel releases that they will have to get used to.

    The biggest shock to me was the hibernation/sleep state, from switching batteries. With my 17 PowerBook G4 running at 1.5 Ghz, I could just swap out the battery with no hesitation. The Intel chipset with the Original MacBook Pro, it seemed to freeze/hibernate and then had to warm up...

    Just a small difference but there are others... Lets discuss!
  6. mrobison macrumors member

    Sep 18, 2007
    Yep! I'm in this club. I love my PB, it's just seen better days for sure.
  7. Eric S. macrumors 68040

    Eric S.

    Feb 1, 2008
    Santa Cruz Mountains, California
    Differences? I keep my iBook around mainly so I can run the occasional Classic mode app under Tiger. But even with a 1.42GHz G4 it is s-l-o-o-w compared to my 2.4GHz Penryn P8600 MB. I'm sure Arrandale will make that performance gap even greater.
  8. rawd thread starter macrumors regular

    Aug 20, 2008
    But this only occurs during a battery swap? During regular use, the current MPB's will still sleep when the notebook is closed, and comes right back up when reopened, correct?

    This is what I love right now about the PBG4. It sleeps and comes back up instantly when closing and reopening it
  9. JacaByte macrumors 6502

    Dec 26, 2009
    I'm in this club too, assuming a MDD 1.25 GHz G4 counts. There's nothing really wrong with it, it's just that the horizon of things which I can use on it has shrunk considerably since I got it.
  10. Puqq macrumors regular

    Oct 18, 2009
    I agree, that Waiting for Arrandale thread is very different. If I had a G5 mac, I would join. Yet, I haven't :)
  11. phrint macrumors 6502

    Feb 8, 2006
    I have a G4 PowerBook 1.67. Five years later it is running like a champ but I find I need more for work as I am self-employed and I need to do more. Waiting for Arrandale too.
  12. powerbook911 macrumors 68040


    Mar 15, 2005
    I've had several intel machines, but they were desktops.

    For my very own notebook that is mine, I'm still on a Powerbook G4 12inch. I just don't have a need for a mobile computer very often, so it has served me ok. Furthermore, it still fits on my lap better than the 13-inch wide MBPs.

    I'm not necessarily expecting to get an Arrandle MBP when they come out, but if it was an especially attractive offering, I might consider.

    I've given up on the new iMacs for the time being due to the yellow screens, so I *might* have some funds for a notebook, if it was very compelling.
  13. Dekimasu macrumors regular

    Jan 17, 2008
    I am going to be switching from an iBook G3 running 10.2.8, although that machine isn't really working well at the moment. I have to do temporary fixes for the graphics card all the time and I'm even scared to pick the computer up since the video might cut out (I do have all of my files backed up on a thumb drive--one of the benefits of having a 30GB hard drive).

    So this will be a big jump for me.
  14. MrCheeto macrumors 68030


    Nov 2, 2008
    Going from a G4 Skillet to a super sleek Intel Bullet Train...I'll probably never experience that kind of a gap, congrats bru! Hanging in there for so long I think you deserve such salvation XD

    As for my 13" MacBook Pro, as long as it doesn't fail catastrophically I plan to have it around long enough to look back and laugh at how the iPhone 3G was a big deal and Oh-bam-uh thought presidency would be "really neat-o".
  15. pgifford macrumors member


    Apr 18, 2008
    St. Louis
    I bought my 17" Powerbook G4 in March 2005 and will be upgrading to a 17" MacBook Pro after this next update. Looking forward to the performance boost!
  16. kakapo macrumors member


    Oct 25, 2004
    Boston Metro
    i'm in. my 14" 1.33 GHz iBook actually still meets many of my needs, but the small HDD and lack of ability to play HD video are pushing me to think seriously about making this jump.

    i'm not sure about getting the rev A version, though. not only might it be a rev A from Apple, but the chips are rev A from Intel... and 32 nm is very small (understatement of the year)... i'm worried about leakage current and electromigration leading to a significantly shorter lifespan than i'm used to. unfortunately, it might take a couple of years for these issues to manifest, and i can't wait *that* long. oh well, that's technology.

    incidentally, my work laptop is a Sony Z590 and it is a fantastic machine. while we tend to use windows at my workplace, i could have gotten a mac if i'd pushed, but apple didn't offer anything remotely competitive at the time (~1 yr ago). here's hoping that they will soon, but i'm afraid what they'll do is offer something competitive w/ my yr old Z, not the new Z...
  17. topgun072003 macrumors 6502


    Sep 11, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Wow, I almost wrote this on my own and then I saw your post. This is EXACTLY where I am right now. The real problem for me is that my G4 will not run Logic 9, and since that's what pays the bills, I'm off to Arrandale!

    I really think I'm going to have to get the 17 inch bc of the Express slot. I'm coming from a 15 inch am I'm wondering how different its going to feel. If the 15 inch has a express card slot then its the 15 for me, but if not then spec'd out 17 inch. Either way I win! :D

Share This Page