The PowerPC fanatic was given the gift of Intel

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by zen.state, Apr 7, 2011.

1. zen.state macrumors 68020

zen.state

A close friend gave me an amazing gift today. A mint condition 2007 white MacBook 2GHz C2D with 2GB RAM 80GB HD and a battery that still holds a great charge.

I hope none of you think less of me.. :eek:

2. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Great to hear! Most people out there don't need the latest and greatest of everything. That 4-year old MacBook is still very good.

3. cyberghoser1 macrumors member

cyberghoser1

My friends are boring! JK, great to see that, if it's a mac, age means nothing :p

4. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

Does this mean you're finally starting to switch properly :eek: - In all seriousness though, that is a very powerful machine (And will probably out-compute your G4 for Universal Apps at the least).

5. zen.state, Apr 7, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2011

zen.state thread starter macrumors 68020

zen.state

Even the fastest Intel on earth couldn't make me love PowerPC/RISC any less. :) You're right though.. a 2GHz C2D has some power. The great thing about x86 machines is that you can run virtually every OS on earth natively.

Ran 2 of the more common benchmarks (both running 10.5.8):

Xbench

Sawtooth - 56.32
    MacBook - 103.08

GeekBench

Sawtooth - 1127
    MacBook - 2663

Damn..

6. Joshuarocks macrumors 6502

Joshuarocks

Hmm.. I wonder if my G5 Quad with 10GB of memory can beat your 2007 macbook? From what I gathered when looking at the Quad's benchmarks, they were around the upper 3500's to close to around 4000 - not bad for the Quad.

7. Joshuarocks macrumors 6502

Joshuarocks

nah.. no one would think less of you.. Look at me. I have a 2010 6-core Mac Pro thats lying on the floor while my G5 Quad is up on the table.. need to get a bigger banquet table.. the one I have currently is a 6ft folding table. Not enuf room for two computers.

nofin wrong with having PowerPC and Intel.. as I said, they are both brothers of the same family, and not enemies.

8. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

Beware, he wants to convert you to Intel ;) It's like with drugs: first dose free ;) :p :D

Talking seriously: it's great to have friends like you have :)

9. MacHamster68, Apr 7, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2011

MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

10. zen.state thread starter macrumors 68020

zen.state

I should point out that she didn't go out and buy it for me. It was simply one of the many Macs her business has and this MacBook had been on a shelf for almost a year. I help her with hardware installs a lot and so she figured this MB was a great way to say thanks.

11. jchase2057 macrumors regular

if i recall correctly, dont you have an intel mac mini? that macbook was my first intel mac back in 07. I loved it but at the time ppc was still being supported and I went back to my sawtooth and a string of ibooks and powerbooks.

12. AdrianK macrumors 68020

Congrats on the new mac :) When I first discovered OS X in '08 all I wanted was a white MacBook. I'm still pretty taken with them, though I ended up going aluminium for practical reasons.

That's what I thought :p

13. zen.state thread starter macrumors 68020

zen.state

Yes I have had a 1.83GHz C2D mini since 2007 but have never used it as a normal Mac so I don't count it as one. It has only ever been connected to my TV.

14. Joshuarocks macrumors 6502

Joshuarocks

So, does this mean you still will support those who continue to use PowerPC macs? I just got chewed out on the mac pro forum just to see how someone would respond to the fact that I own both a 2010 6-core mac pro and a G5 Quad - the person was very nasty and told me to sell the G5.

What rubbish!

Thats why I hate fanboism.

15. simsaladimbamba

Are you some kind of crusade?

Or shouldn't I reply to you, as I give you the attention you obviously want?

16. Joshuarocks macrumors 6502

Joshuarocks

No, you don't have to reply to me.. just that fanboyism is something I have ZERO tolerance for.. whether its PPC, PC, Mac etc.. all platforms are good for most things while some are better for specialized tasks.

17. simsaladimbamba

I was just on my own spree, as you were attacking another poster in your thread and ascribed fan-boyism to the poster you replied to, just because that poster was bringing valid points into the discussion. Thus it seems you are a fanboy yourself, but of what I still can't discern yet (a bit slow today on my end).

18. zen.state thread starter macrumors 68020

zen.state

If you had actually read this thread you would know the answer to that. It seems you just take any chance you can to mention your G5 rather than read whole threads.

I have noticed a trend where you both start your own threads to talk about your G5 and then you also try to take over other threads with posts about your G5.

No disrespect meant at all..