The Price Of Being Right

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wirelessmacuser, Jul 17, 2010.

1. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

The true problem is Apple's choice to mount the antenna externally, around the perimeter of the phone. That was Apple's fatal mistake.*

Furthermore, this controversy is far from over.*

What many people fail to understand, yet keep repeating is "stop whining & return it" is not working. In other words they are quitters offering quitters advice. Whereas those of us with the skill & knowledge to know the difference, are not quitting. We are merely trying to get Apple to do the right thing. Personally I know Apple is capable of taking action. They're also very well equipped to take some of their massive reserve of cash, put their money where their mouth is and _prove_ they love their customers as Jobs said yesterday.*

The sad fact is Steve Jobs seems to have lost touch with his customers. Under the scrutiny of the media he finds himself swimming upstream. It's not working but he refuses to listen. He's got to be right at all costs. The question remains. Just what will the tariff be on his latest blunder of yesterday?

2. mrochester macrumors 65816

The basic issue is that the antenna is very poorly placed meaning for a lot of people, the signal is worse in comparison to their 3G or 3GS. A case is a temporary fix for those who experience this problem. The permanent fix is for Apple to move the antenna to a location that isn't in a commonly held place. This would mean redesigning the product. There's next to no chance of this happening. It'll be the iPhone 5 before we see this poor design choice rectified.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

That's a myoptic view, quitters are not knowledgeable and skillful? I don't think that's the case. People who return their phones are not quitters, they are people who are fed up with a device that fails to work as advertised

I believe apple erred in placing the antenna in a location that people naturally hold the phone

4. wirelessmacuser thread starter macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

I could have worded it better. I didn't mean that the people who choose to return their phones are quitters. Far from it. They are smart to do so, if unhappy. The point I was trying to convey, is the people telling others to "just return it" are assuming that in doing so, that will stop the factual sharing (those falsely accused of whining) from those who do have problems & want Apple to fix it. Therefore these people are not quitters. They are providing valuable feedback.

5. kuaiyouming, Jul 17, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2013
  6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I agree and did you see how many times the word love was uttered. Clearly a highly scripted/controlled setting to provide some PR damage control on a device that is being slammed in the media.

7. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

hahaha, youre chatting absolute rubbish. apple dont owe you anything, why you talking about quiting, its a product. people are right to say "dont like it return it". stop getting emotional. MUG.

8. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

Not just a troll but a rabid troll. Check out his " Users Profile " and all the threads he has started.

9. mgamber macrumors 6502a

mgamber

I have to disagree. The problem isn't the position of the antenna OR that it's outside the body of the phone, it's that there's no protection for it whatsoever. At a minimum it should have been coated with something non-conductive. Doing so wouldn't do much for detuning of the antenna because of the proximity of the hand, but detuning because of that usually isn't a huge deal to start with. It would have prevented radical and immediate detuning by putting a conductor across the gap, however, which is the more severe of the two problems.

Removing the antenna from the inside of the phone puts at least a little space between it and the electronics in the phone and reduces the amount of crap the receiver might pick up from those electronics which, in turn, means the phone works better with less signal from the towers. That's what Apple claims and that is indeed what I see with the new phone. It was a good move, technically. That having been said, Apple should probably have used something other than stainless steel for the band/antenna because it would have REQUIRED a coating if only to protect it from the elements and corrosion caused by salts and oils from the hand. OR they should have used a hollow band of something other than metal and run insulated copper straps through that, protecting the antenna and keeping detuning by proximity of the hand at a minimum while still keeping the antenna outside of the body of the phone.

I also maintain that "return it if you don't like it" is simplistic and short sighted. Apple has made deals with vendors to restrict certain functionality of their software to the iPhone and iPad. If you use that functionality, you have no choice but to use iPhone and iPad and "return it" will not be a valid option until Apple drops those deals and vendors can do what they'd like on other platforms. I'd also say that if you bought any software from the app store since buying an iPhone 4 and you return the phone, you should receive the full amount of the phone along with whatever you paid for software.

The mistake was the poor implementation and testing of the antenna, not that it was outside of the phone. And yes, the controvery is over. Apple has no intention of fixing those phones already shipped and no one seems particularly interested in civil conversation about the technical and logistical aspects of it so, you know, screw it. I bought a case for the phone and put those who can't converse about anything without being an insulting tool on the ignore list. Per Jobs....eh....I couldn't care less one way or the other.

10. sinsin07 macrumors 68030

By this time next year more billions. You still can't walk into the Fifth Ave store and buy a I4. The phone has issues for some, but this will not stop the Apple machine from rolling along.

11. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

12. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

Oh no! People are having discussions about something wrong with the iPhone! Time to crap on the thread. Return it whiner! ( there, hopefully that did it, Steve would be so proud of me, I hope he reads it)

13. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

So how did it go returning your phone?

14. cmChimera macrumors 68040

cmChimera

How many threads are needed for this issue seriously?

15. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

Oh beautifully, they served punch! :rolleyes:

FYI, I'm not returning it, it's still the best phone out there, but that doesn't mean I can't discuss it's faults nor will I criticize other people that do.

16. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Actually, returning a phone and depriving Apple of revenue is far more likely to make Apple take action* than keeping something you are unhappy with complaining online**. So "stop whining an return it" is more likely to work than "keep it and complain".

* Assuming enough people do it
    ** Not specifically you.

17. hipvamore macrumors regular

i tell people to stop whining all the time, but am i a quitter? um no i love my iphone 4 and have no problems. cool story bro. you're so cool because you're not a quitter

18. wirelessmacuser thread starter macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

This is a weak irrelevant point. By this time next year McDonalds will have sold billions of fat laden burgers to obese Americans. Their both the same. A mediocre phone bought by an obese American. What a horrid visual that is.