The Pro seems so small now

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Scarpad, Jan 16, 2017.

1. Scarpad macrumors 68000

Scarpad

As a Mini Owner It's odd I find the mini perfectly sized , but on a trip to the apple store this weekend the 9.7 pro's attached to Smart Keyboards looked so tiny to me. Trying one out next to the 12.9 Pro, I think the refresh in March will find me buying a 12.9 no matter what other sizes they come out with. Maybe I'm just getting older i don't know

2. sjleworthy macrumors 65816

sjleworthy

i've used a 9.7 for years and converted to a 12.9 last year. i now find the 9.7 just too small to ever go back too.
    i still love the form factor/size of the mini for vacations, but extra large all the way for me!

3. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

Only reason I went down to 9.7 from 12.9 due to how portable it is and now I actually use my MacBook Pro.

4. iSheep5S macrumors 6502a

iSheep5S

I like the idea of a portable 9.7 but i love the 12.9 too much. After 8 months of usage I've just got the 29w charger and keyboard. Couldn't be happier.

5. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

LOL, I bought two iPad Pro units, the 9.7 and 12.9 and returned my 12.9 for another 9.7 and have not looked back.

It is great we have choices.

6. Codeseven macrumors 6502a

Been wondering about this. I'm looking to replace my 9.7" Air 1 with a Pro iPad the Spring. The 10" models screen looks plenty big but, I have the feeling that once I used a 12.9" for awhile even the 10" would become just too small. Sounds like it's just a matter of what your used to. I definitely want a bigger screen, is the 12.9" too big? Maybe, but in time, probably not.

7. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

I prefer anything near 10' but not exceeding it. I have a 17.3' laptop and it works for bigger needs requiring a keyboard.

I mostly use my 9.7 Pro as my t.v. I find it big enough to enjoy the content but not too big that I can't say... Balance it on the lip of my tub successfully.

Everyone will have their own needs.

8. AlexH macrumors 68000

AlexH

You have a 17.3 foot laptop? Damn... Those PC manufacturers are really innovating.

9. Starfia macrumors 6502

Starfia

Yeah – I love all three for different reasons. Rumours of a newly-engineered mid-size iPad certainly are interesting.

10. Jack Burton macrumors 6502

Jack Burton

I'll be going to the 12.9 also. I'm on an Air 2 which now feels small to me. I want to get back into drawing, too, so I have a wealth of choices. After using a bunch of devices I want a 16 inch Wacom mobile studio pro, would consider a surface book (roughly same size as iPad Pro), but will most likely get an iPad Pro 2 this year (come on march!). The other two choices I think would be better for me for other reasons (full OS and file structure, etc), but the cost quickly becomes quite enormous. Especially Wacom's offering. Go figure, I'll be going to Apple to save money!

I think I'll go for a 12.9 for sure. If for some reason Apple made a 16 inch iPad Pro (or really other size bigger than 12.9) , I'd get that in a heart beat. It's just so thin, so light for what it can do, and that Apple pencil is by far my favorite input device even if the way it charges is a bit ridiculous. ;)

11. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

for those who want to get a the 12.9 pro..getting the keyboard is a must IMO

12. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

You are right. After spending time with the 12.9, the 9.7 is extremely limiting. It's okay for videos, but any other document or split screen work is just too small. I've always found the standard sized iPad a weird size. It's too small to be a computer replacement, too big to really hold for a long period of time, and absolutely too small for split screen productivity. I see the point of the mini (portability, basically pocketable), and the 12.9 as a drawing device and or laptop replacement. But to me the 9.7 is too small for some things, and too large for others. I've owned several 9.7 inch iPads, and never got much use from them. The 12.9 was a completely different experience. The iPad mini is great for bedside or an e-reader. I tried the 9.7 pro and again the size just made me long for a bigger display when working on it, and a smaller display when carrying it around.

13. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

I think if you invest in a 12.9 iPad Pro, I would certainly invest in a keyboard, either made by Apple or Logitech. Primarily, because it's almost a full size laptop where it would really benefit you versus the portability of the 9.7 pro.

14. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

Well for me, I had 9.7 iPad for years so it is enough for now. I sold and I played with 12.9 iPad Pro I like itt then ordered smart case then I realized it added some weight it feels like 13 inches MacBook Pro weight. I haven't used my 15" rMBP that much anymore.