The Probability of a Jan. 27 MP Refresh?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Techhie, Jan 18, 2010.

1. Techhie macrumors 65816

Techhie

I have an empty desk and lonely monitors after selling my MP '09 (lame duck quad), wondering when the waiting torment will end.

My thoughts: the wording "our latest creation" suggests a single product, either that or a mobile-themed conference. Hopefully not, it would be shame to wait a couple more months

2. hwhalers macrumors regular

My money's on early Q2 announcement, unfortunately. I doubt they'll get the new Gulftown chips that much in advance.

You never know, though. They could be concentrating on the mythical hypeslate and announce the MP refresh as a side note. Either way, If I don't have a box or two on my doorstep from Apple by the last week of April, I'll be unhappy. But not unhappy enough to stop giving them my money :p.

3. Jedi macrumors regular

Jedi

Here are my thoughts , although I too am not sure if this will happen next week.

MBP`s will get added USB/ESTA combo port.

15" will get the i5 standard (with BTO i7 ).

17" will get the i7 standard.

Both will get more ram , and maybe HDMI ( ? ) , but no BD-drive as standard.

Let`s see if I`m right or wrong ! :eek:

4. Techhie thread starter macrumors 65816

Techhie

The move to Arrandale would make sense because the chips have been out, hopefully they will announce a MP on the side to ship in (feb?) if they get Gulftown in early

5. Cathode macrumors regular

Cathode

It's possible that they could announce the Mac Pro and hold off on shipping them until Apple gets the new CPUs. I think that this event will focus more on the laptop/mobile products though.

I won't have enough income to purchase a Mac Pro until this summer anyway. So I'm in no rush!

6. Techhie thread starter macrumors 65816

Techhie

I'm really hoping for Intel to pull through on this one, I need another workstation on my desk, and I don't want to go through the trouble of buying one for now and selling it when the update happens

7. chet.d macrumors member

Oh can I really relate with this.
    My studio is on hold for more intensive mixing until I can get a new MP in here.
    Trying to hold on to see if Feb. shows some sign of the 2010, but every time I see an 08 3.2 / 8 core with apple care I'm indeed tempted.

I also wonder if an OS update will address the 09 issues at some point soon and an 09 2.66 8 core will be more tempting ?
    So trying to hold on, for now. 09/08 pricing should also be somewhat more attractive in a month or 2 I'd guess.

8. Techhie thread starter macrumors 65816

Techhie

I'm expecting the '09 quad street price to drop like a rock, which is why I sold at the slightest suggestion to an update

9. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

That would be *VERY* nice, but for some reason, Apple hasn't done eSATA so far, so I don't know.....

Darned well better!

I'm also leaning toward not just the Arrandale i7, but even the quad-core Clarkfield i7. If they're going to be doing discrete graphics anyway, why not go whole-hog?

More RAM? Doubtful. They already ship with 4 GB standard, max 8 GB. Unless they throw in two more SO-DIMM slots (hey, HP did on the Envy 15,) they won't be able to go any further.

HDMI? No, they've settled on mini DisplayPort. At *BEST*, they'd come out with an official Apple-branded mDP-to-HDMI adapter or cable. But as other companies already make such a device cheaply, it's probably not a market they'd go in to.

As for BD.... That, to me, is a tossup. Apple complained of licensing, well, BD has theoretically fixed that. Also, there is now required managed-copy, which makes ripping to the computer officially supported. Finally, Apple has deals for "Digital Copy" on DVDs and Blu-Ray discs. So this could be a possibility now.

10. Cathode macrumors regular

Cathode

I think that Apple was positive Blu-ray wasn't going anywhere. Now, they have really just dropped the ball. I understand that they are pushing digital content through iTunes but the fact that their 'high end' workstation doesn't even have a BTO option is rather pathetic.

I personally wouldn't use it. But one thing that I wish Apple would embrace is choice. Just a little bit of choice. I think that they would be able to sell quite a few more computers if they followed standards a bit more.

11. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

Same with me. Though even there's no rush, it's hard to keep the credit card in the wallet. :D

12. xgman macrumors 601

xgman

It;'s looking like the MP announcement will probably be in the next round of updates and not at next weeks event. Only question is will there be a mini event or just a quite update announcement.

13. craighton macrumors member

craighton

Great, so that means I am going to have to sell my current one and buy another, fantastic!!! :mad: