The Probability of a Jan. 27 MP Refresh?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Techhie, Jan 18, 2010.

  1. Techhie macrumors 65816

    Techhie

    Joined:
    Dec 7, 2008
    Location:
    The hub of stupidity
    #1
    I have an empty desk and lonely monitors after selling my MP '09 (lame duck quad), wondering when the waiting torment will end.

    My thoughts: the wording "our latest creation" suggests a single product, either that or a mobile-themed conference. Hopefully not, it would be shame to wait a couple more months
     
  2. hwhalers macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Nov 23, 2009
    #2
    My money's on early Q2 announcement, unfortunately. I doubt they'll get the new Gulftown chips that much in advance.

    You never know, though. They could be concentrating on the mythical hypeslate and announce the MP refresh as a side note. Either way, If I don't have a box or two on my doorstep from Apple by the last week of April, I'll be unhappy. But not unhappy enough to stop giving them my money :p.
     
  3. Jedi macrumors regular

    Jedi

    Joined:
    Apr 28, 2008
    #3
    Here are my thoughts , although I too am not sure if this will happen next week.

    MBP`s will get added USB/ESTA combo port.

    15" will get the i5 standard (with BTO i7 ).

    17" will get the i7 standard.

    Both will get more ram , and maybe HDMI ( ? ) , but no BD-drive as standard.

    Let`s see if I`m right or wrong ! :eek:
     
  4. Techhie thread starter macrumors 65816

    Techhie

    Joined:
    Dec 7, 2008
    Location:
    The hub of stupidity
    #4
    The move to Arrandale would make sense because the chips have been out, hopefully they will announce a MP on the side to ship in (feb?) if they get Gulftown in early
     
  5. Cathode macrumors regular

    Cathode

    Joined:
    Aug 5, 2008
    Location:
    Flagstaff, AZ
    #5
    It's possible that they could announce the Mac Pro and hold off on shipping them until Apple gets the new CPUs. I think that this event will focus more on the laptop/mobile products though.

    I won't have enough income to purchase a Mac Pro until this summer anyway. So I'm in no rush!
     
  6. Techhie thread starter macrumors 65816

    Techhie

    Joined:
    Dec 7, 2008
    Location:
    The hub of stupidity
    #6
    I'm really hoping for Intel to pull through on this one, I need another workstation on my desk, and I don't want to go through the trouble of buying one for now and selling it when the update happens
     
  7. chet.d macrumors member

    Joined:
    Dec 6, 2009
    #7

    Oh can I really relate with this.
    My studio is on hold for more intensive mixing until I can get a new MP in here.
    Trying to hold on to see if Feb. shows some sign of the 2010, but every time I see an 08 3.2 / 8 core with apple care I'm indeed tempted.

    I also wonder if an OS update will address the 09 issues at some point soon and an 09 2.66 8 core will be more tempting ?
    So trying to hold on, for now. 09/08 pricing should also be somewhat more attractive in a month or 2 I'd guess.
     
  8. Techhie thread starter macrumors 65816

    Techhie

    Joined:
    Dec 7, 2008
    Location:
    The hub of stupidity
    #8
    I'm expecting the '09 quad street price to drop like a rock, which is why I sold at the slightest suggestion to an update
     
  9. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

    Anonymous Freak

    Joined:
    Dec 12, 2002
    Location:
    Cascadia
    #9
    That would be *VERY* nice, but for some reason, Apple hasn't done eSATA so far, so I don't know.....

    Darned well better!

    I'm also leaning toward not just the Arrandale i7, but even the quad-core Clarkfield i7. If they're going to be doing discrete graphics anyway, why not go whole-hog?

    More RAM? Doubtful. They already ship with 4 GB standard, max 8 GB. Unless they throw in two more SO-DIMM slots (hey, HP did on the Envy 15,) they won't be able to go any further.

    HDMI? No, they've settled on mini DisplayPort. At *BEST*, they'd come out with an official Apple-branded mDP-to-HDMI adapter or cable. But as other companies already make such a device cheaply, it's probably not a market they'd go in to.

    As for BD.... That, to me, is a tossup. Apple complained of licensing, well, BD has theoretically fixed that. Also, there is now required managed-copy, which makes ripping to the computer officially supported. Finally, Apple has deals for "Digital Copy" on DVDs and Blu-Ray discs. So this could be a possibility now.
     
  10. Cathode macrumors regular

    Cathode

    Joined:
    Aug 5, 2008
    Location:
    Flagstaff, AZ
    #10
    I think that Apple was positive Blu-ray wasn't going anywhere. Now, they have really just dropped the ball. I understand that they are pushing digital content through iTunes but the fact that their 'high end' workstation doesn't even have a BTO option is rather pathetic.

    I personally wouldn't use it. But one thing that I wish Apple would embrace is choice. Just a little bit of choice. I think that they would be able to sell quite a few more computers if they followed standards a bit more.
     
  11. Icaras macrumors 603

    Icaras

    Joined:
    Mar 18, 2008
    Location:
    California, United States
    #11
    Same with me. Though even there's no rush, it's hard to keep the credit card in the wallet. :D
     
  12. xgman macrumors 601

    xgman

    Joined:
    Aug 6, 2007
    #12
    It;'s looking like the MP announcement will probably be in the next round of updates and not at next weeks event. Only question is will there be a mini event or just a quite update announcement.
     
  13. craighton macrumors member

    craighton

    Joined:
    Sep 20, 2009
    Location:
    Seattle, Washington
    #13
    Great, so that means I am going to have to sell my current one and buy another, fantastic!!! :mad:
     

Share This Page