The probable reason behind the 1.1.1 delay (that has nothing to do w/unlocks/hacks)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by eddiebrock, Sep 20, 2007.

1. eddiebrock macrumors member

Was thinking about this from a retail point of view...

Perhaps Apple wants to clear out all inventory of phones with 1.0.2 and has back stock in their stores of 1.1.1 phones but has given instructions to the store managers not to sell until they give the go ahead (aka when all 1.0.2 inventory is sold out nationwide). For the online stores they just keep selling the 1.0.2 phones until the retail outlets are sold out and then announce the big update all at once.

I think the reason they do this is because how professional would it look if you buy an iPhone, plug it in, only to be told "Please update to 1.1.1?" Not so much. I'm thinking most people out of the box would expect the stuff to already be on there and not have to update. After all if they just all started selling 1.1.1 phones one day and took the 1.0.2 ones off the shelves, what exactly are they gonna do with those phones?

2. edmartin macrumors member

First, what delay? Was there an announcement that 1.1.1 (or any other firmware version greater than 1.0.2) was coming? No. All we have are screen shots from around the time of the announcement of the iPod Touch and the new Euro versions (which since they aren't gong to be available until November, they are obviously prototypes and God only knows what kind of firmware Apple might use to make them work fir an announcement).

Second, it makes no sense to flush out the current inventory of 1.0.2 devices before releasing an update. I can tell you from personal experience (I just got a second iPhone for my wife direct from Apple) that as late as last Friday they were shipping units with 1.0.1 on them. And I think it makes a positive statement that as soon as you activate it, there are updates waiting. That's pretty common-place in a world where software or hardware can be made better through updating. To me it says "this is a device that keeps getting better" when I see an update. Regardless, the day the next firmware is released, there are about 1 million current iPhone users out there that are going to see that "update" message vs. a few thousand "new" iPhone buyers that Apple might want to "protect" with the theory of waiting to sell-through the 1.0.x units.

As is always the case, Apple will release it when it's ready (in their judgement).

3. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

It's a good thought, but unlikely. Like the above poster said, it looks good to have an update waiting, plus they'd never get ahead of themselves if they had to hold back until they cleared out old inventory. We'd either hear reports of people buying phones with 1.1.1 on them, or there'd be some sort of shortage report until they cleared everything out at the same time.

4. j.dunning macrumors newbie

What week are your recently purchased iPhones? It is the 4th and 5th digits in your serial numbers. I just bought a new iPhone on Monday the 17th. It is a week 32 and it came with the 1.0 firmware on it. Do they have more recent phones with newer firmware on them?

5. Project macrumors 68020

Just because there are iPhones out there with 1.1.1, doesnt mean its ready to be deployed. An awful lot of testing etc has to be put into any firmware update before being rolled out. The iPhones in the UK had to have 1.1.1 so that the press could test the Wifi store.

Steve said September. If its October and it still isnt out, then people would have a point. But at the moment, its on schedule.

6. Ron21 macrumors 6502a

What are you talking about? All iPhone on sale still have firmware 1.0.

7. MiLK© macrumors member

I disagree. As other posters say, I don't think there is anything 'unprofessional' about needing to update a device when you get it.

Furthermore I'm getting increasingly annoyed by all these people claiming the firmware is somehow delayed?? It hasn't been announced, so how can it possibly be delayed?

8. eddiebrock thread starter macrumors member

OK, i guess i was wrong about 1.0.2 coming out of the box. I guess they are 1.0. Sorry.

9. mpuck972 macrumors 6502

mpuck972

They are adding a few more international keyboards to keep the fanbois happy.

10. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

not a chance in hell that Apple is holding back 1.1.1 becuase of inventory. Its new firmware and software not a new model. All of the existing stock will be easily upgraded when the user syncs