The problem with MacRumours...

Status
Not open for further replies.

deathray80

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 27, 2010
I start a thread asking a simple question whether an iphone hack was possible.

I did NOT ask someone how to do the hack, I did NOT ask if someone could do the hack on my behalf, I did NOT ask anyone to break any law, I did NOT suggest anyone else break the law and there is no law on earth that prevents a person asking a question whether in public or in private.

Yet I get spammed and flooded by dozens of users telling me what I was going was illegal and that it was "against forum rules!" to discuss such a topic and they whine and whinge to the moderators to shut down the forum.

Now, just imagine a student in a tech class or studying computer science, who asks his tutor whether he knows if hackers have been able to crack the IMEI on iphones, because he is thinking of purchasing one and doesn't want to purchase an iphone model that is hackable and therefore unsafe if it's stolen.

Now imagine if the tutor explodes with rage and throws the student out of class and shuts down the tutorial and ends the lecture and reports the student to the authorities for having the audacity to ask a question in a tutorial.

So, I ask you...what the hell is wrong with MacRumours that it feels it should censor people and shut them down and drown them out and censor discussion and debate and the sharing of knowledge?

I understand that if I even repeat the question here, this thread will also be closed and shut down and debate on MacRumours will be stiffled.

For those that want to know what all the fuss is about, the thread that was deleted is here:https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=978036

The General

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2006
Reading the rules, I can't seem to find a rule prohibiting discussion of illegal activities other than piracy.

Warez/Serials/Keys. Do not post software serial numbers or keys or refer people to specific websites, software, or techniques whose purpose is to break or bypass software licensing methods, distribute cracks, or obtain or use commercial software or media in violation of its license and/or for copyright violation. Do not ask for or give such help.

BudgetBaby

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2010
There's a lot wrong with these forums and it ultimately comes down to the snotty users who feel the need to police it. This place is like an online primary school playground - loads of "ummmmm, I'm telling" going on. Unfortunately, the mods are the worst of them all.

My advice is just to grin and put up with it and remember that most of these people probably haven't seen outside of their dark bedroom or actually interacted with another human being for several days, choosing instead to spend endless hours on the Internet. They see these forums as a major part of their lives rather than something to dip in and out of as and when they have a problem or question.

Walter Bell

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2010
No this isn't the problem with macrumors.

Here is the real problem:

People come in here and the same questions about Jailbreaking/Unlocking without even scrolling down the page. Often times you do not even have to search, you can just look at your screen. I wonder if people just come here, register, and then click new topic right away without even checking to see if something they have asked has been answered. I truly feel bad for people like dhlizard, latinist, and a few others that constantly respond to the same question day after day.

People these days are so damn lazy and do not want to do a single damn thing for themselves. They expect everything to be handed to them on a gold platter without having to do any work themselves. THis doesn't just to apply to this website, but to everything in life.

BudgetBaby

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2010
No this isn't the problem with macrumors.

Here is the real problem:

People come in here and the same questions about Jailbreaking/Unlocking without even scrolling down the page.
But you're forgetting that not everyone spends their life on forums nor understands the 'protocol'.

I admit I've probably posted duplicate threads, but the search function on this site is crap and it's often easy to think that one's problem is unique and slightly different to the ones that have already been posted.

And don't feel sorry for those that reply to the same questions day after day - they do it through choice.

OP: for future reference, any discussion on why a thread was closed is best by using the "contact us" button at the bottom of the page in order to discuss this with the moderators
You say that but I've done this twice and never received a reply.

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
Your thread was closed by the moderators so that should automatically tell you something.

We are all guests on MacRumors. If you want to post here, then you have to abide by the rules. It's up to the mods to decide whether you are breaking those rules and to act on their decisions accordingly. You can contact them by clicking the link at the bottom of the page if you would like to question their decision.

At the end of the day, if you don't like how these forums are run, try another place. After all, no one is forcing you to stay here. :)

MikePA

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008
I start a thread asking a simple question whether an iphone hack was possible.
A superb example of history revisionism. The rest of your post is a feeble attempt, using a preposterous analogy, to make yourself out to be the victim.

pixelated

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2008
What is it about the concept of a rule that is so hard for you to understand?
If you don't like the MR rules, don't post here.

deathray80

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 27, 2010
The lack of intelligence of people responding to this thread is nothing short of staggering. There is nothing in the rules that states it's illegal to ask a question.

Will this forum be banning thoughts next?

niuniu

macrumors 68020
The lack of intelligence of people responding to this thread is nothing short of staggering. There is nothing in the rules that states it's illegal to ask a question.

Asking how to change an IMEI is information that would be of great interest to phone thieves.

But I guess we're all too stupid to see the good that information posted on a public forum would bring :rolleyes:

Ivan P

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Home

Looking at this topic, as well as your original one, the issue doesn't seem to be that you were asking a question - it was more the content of said question. I'm a neutral party in this, I'm not taking one side or the other, but I'll just say there isn't really any reason to change the IMEI unless it was a stolen phone and the person wanting to change it was doing it so it couldn't be tracked/blocked. I think that's why people took issue with the question, as it's morally questionable (even if you don't have any malicious intent with it). While it's not outlined in the rules, people here seem to be very defensive and the last thing this forum needs is to be connected to a possible stolen product (not accusing you of anything, I'm just giving you a better idea of why people reacted the way they did). If someone came here to ask how to change the IMEI, and DID have a stolen iPhone that they wanted to modify, then it's possible that if they were caught that the owners of MacRumors would get into trouble as their site helped aid in it.

I'm personally not accusing you of anything, I'm just trying to explain what other people seem to be saying without being an ass towards you :)

deathray80

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 27, 2010
Asking how to change an IMEI is information that would be of great interest to phone thieves.

But I guess we're all too stupid to see the good that information posted on a public forum would bring :rolleyes:

How many times do I need to say it??????? How many times?????? I am NOT asking HOW to change the IMEI on an iphone 3G

I - am - asking - if - it - is - possible

How difficult is it to understand that simple question??

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Well, I'm closing this before the temperament makes someone post things that they'll regret (in the sense it gets them timed out and/or banned).

As mentioned above, and in the rules, questions about specific cases of moderation is better handled if you use the Contact Us link at the botom of every forum page:
You can use the Contact form to send a message to the moderators/administrators if you have questions about specific cases of moderation. This is more appropriate than sending Private Messages or email to individual moderators. If you use Private Messages or email to contact a moderator about a moderation issue, you may be directed to send it again via the Contact Form, because this ensures proper review and accountability and because the moderators work as a team. Moderation is not personal; don't make it so.

When contacting us about moderation, please identify the posts or threads in question; the moderators deal with many every day. Posting questions/complaints about specific cases of moderation in the forums is frowned upon because they are not relevant to others and we can be more frank communicating in private. If you have general questions about moderation or site policies (not about a specific case), use the Contact form or the Site and Forum Feedback forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.