The problem with MacRumours...

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by deathray80, Jul 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deathray80 macrumors newbie

I start a thread asking a simple question whether an iphone hack was possible.

I did NOT ask someone how to do the hack, I did NOT ask if someone could do the hack on my behalf, I did NOT ask anyone to break any law, I did NOT suggest anyone else break the law and there is no law on earth that prevents a person asking a question whether in public or in private.

Yet I get spammed and flooded by dozens of users telling me what I was going was illegal and that it was "against forum rules!" to discuss such a topic and they whine and whinge to the moderators to shut down the forum.

Now, just imagine a student in a tech class or studying computer science, who asks his tutor whether he knows if hackers have been able to crack the IMEI on iphones, because he is thinking of purchasing one and doesn't want to purchase an iphone model that is hackable and therefore unsafe if it's stolen.

Now imagine if the tutor explodes with rage and throws the student out of class and shuts down the tutorial and ends the lecture and reports the student to the authorities for having the audacity to ask a question in a tutorial.

So, I ask you...what the hell is wrong with MacRumours that it feels it should censor people and shut them down and drown them out and censor discussion and debate and the sharing of knowledge?

I understand that if I even repeat the question here, this thread will also be closed and shut down and debate on MacRumours will be stiffled.

For those that want to know what all the fuss is about, the thread that was deleted is here:http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=978036

2. The General macrumors 601

Reading the rules, I can't seem to find a rule prohibiting discussion of illegal activities other than piracy.

3. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

had you read the rules OP?

a 10second google would tell you how to do this.

4. deathray80 thread starter macrumors newbie

What is the point of that post?

5. BudgetBaby macrumors member

There's a lot wrong with these forums and it ultimately comes down to the snotty users who feel the need to police it. This place is like an online primary school playground - loads of "ummmmm, I'm telling" going on. Unfortunately, the mods are the worst of them all.

My advice is just to grin and put up with it and remember that most of these people probably haven't seen outside of their dark bedroom or actually interacted with another human being for several days, choosing instead to spend endless hours on the Internet. They see these forums as a major part of their lives rather than something to dip in and out of as and when they have a problem or question.

6. Walter Bell macrumors regular

No this isn't the problem with macrumors.

Here is the real problem:

People come in here and the same questions about Jailbreaking/Unlocking without even scrolling down the page. Often times you do not even have to search, you can just look at your screen. I wonder if people just come here, register, and then click new topic right away without even checking to see if something they have asked has been answered. I truly feel bad for people like dhlizard, latinist, and a few others that constantly respond to the same question day after day.

People these days are so damn lazy and do not want to do a single damn thing for themselves. They expect everything to be handed to them on a gold platter without having to do any work themselves. THis doesn't just to apply to this website, but to everything in life.

7. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

OP: for future reference, any discussion on why a thread was closed is best by using the "contact us" button at the bottom of the page in order to discuss this with the moderators

8. BudgetBaby macrumors member

But you're forgetting that not everyone spends their life on forums nor understands the 'protocol'.

I admit I've probably posted duplicate threads, but the search function on this site is crap and it's often easy to think that one's problem is unique and slightly different to the ones that have already been posted.

And don't feel sorry for those that reply to the same questions day after day - they do it through choice.

You say that but I've done this twice and never received a reply.

9. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Your thread was closed by the moderators so that should automatically tell you something.

We are all guests on MacRumors. If you want to post here, then you have to abide by the rules. It's up to the mods to decide whether you are breaking those rules and to act on their decisions accordingly. You can contact them by clicking the link at the bottom of the page if you would like to question their decision.

At the end of the day, if you don't like how these forums are run, try another place. After all, no one is forcing you to stay here. :)

10. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

A superb example of history revisionism. The rest of your post is a feeble attempt, using a preposterous analogy, to make yourself out to be the victim.

11. pixelated macrumors 6502a

pixelated

What is it about the concept of a rule that is so hard for you to understand?
    If you don't like the MR rules, don't post here.

12. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    It's impossible for the mods to know who has good intentions and who's trying to get information to commit crimes.

When you're at university you've already been vetted and you pay a substantial amount to be there.

13. deathray80 thread starter macrumors newbie

The lack of intelligence of people responding to this thread is nothing short of staggering. There is nothing in the rules that states it's illegal to ask a question.

Will this forum be banning thoughts next?

14. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

Asking how to change an IMEI is information that would be of great interest to phone thieves.

But I guess we're all too stupid to see the good that information posted on a public forum would bring :rolleyes:

15. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Looking at this topic, as well as your original one, the issue doesn't seem to be that you were asking a question - it was more the content of said question. I'm a neutral party in this, I'm not taking one side or the other, but I'll just say there isn't really any reason to change the IMEI unless it was a stolen phone and the person wanting to change it was doing it so it couldn't be tracked/blocked. I think that's why people took issue with the question, as it's morally questionable (even if you don't have any malicious intent with it). While it's not outlined in the rules, people here seem to be very defensive and the last thing this forum needs is to be connected to a possible stolen product (not accusing you of anything, I'm just giving you a better idea of why people reacted the way they did). If someone came here to ask how to change the IMEI, and DID have a stolen iPhone that they wanted to modify, then it's possible that if they were caught that the owners of MacRumors would get into trouble as their site helped aid in it.

I'm personally not accusing you of anything, I'm just trying to explain what other people seem to be saying without being an ass towards you :)

16. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Discussing it is against the rules. This would, therefore, include even asking a question.

17. deathray80 thread starter macrumors newbie

How many times do I need to say it??????? How many times?????? I am NOT asking HOW to change the IMEI on an iphone 3G

I - am - asking - if - it - is - possible

How difficult is it to understand that simple question??

18. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

And where will that lead?

Your problem is, as you have already said, is you think people here are stupid.

19. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Well, I'm closing this before the temperament makes someone post things that they'll regret (in the sense it gets them timed out and/or banned).

As mentioned above, and in the rules, questions about specific cases of moderation is better handled if you use the Contact Us link at the botom of every forum page:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.