"The Problems"

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by iJcaP, Apr 11, 2015.

1. iJcaP, Apr 11, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2015

iJcaP macrumors 6502

I previously had a long post but I felt that below was the point I really wanted to express and get the input of other forums users.

Main point: it's too complicated, what is this even for?
    Rene Ritchie at iMore has made a few good points about the watch and the role it will play. But, just like the design and our personal taste, this smartwatch adapts to what we need it for. It is very intentional that in this aspect, it is very similar to how our smartphones today cater to our needs. I believe if the phone was marketed as it is today back in 2007, there would be so much to do (as in the scenario people are saying with the watch) that there would be that "I couldn't find that one true purpose" scenario. In both the watch and the phone, Apple adds a strong foundation for the device to do anything. But it's up to us, in conjunction with the developers, to have it do the little things well.

Obviously, once I actually own the Watch, my perceptions could change.

Interestingly, not long after my original post Rene Ritchie from iMore posted this: http://www.imore.com/understanding-first-generation-apple-watch-apps

2. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

I saw a few video's prior to the launch and there were rather negative to the Apple watch, but they all had the same problem with it.

And this was not directed at Apple, it was more about Apple's concept.

They actually thought Android Wear had it right, albeit it's still early days for the also.

They felt, the watch should primarily be a watch you like the look and style of, and all it should really be there for is quick looks at for notifications, and not a lot else.

Just on your wrist to glance at the time, and see anything that pops up, and if you wish to then get your phone out to deal with it.

THAT was what they felt was all you should want from something on your wrist.

Not a mini, all engrossing computer to have apps and keep playing and fiddling with. that was too much.

I can't say if I agree or not, but that was quite a few people's viewpoint of what this type of device should be all about.

3. iJcaP thread starter macrumors 6502

When I looked into Android Wear after seeing this post, I felt they both approached the watch in a similar fashion. In other words, there are apps for Android Wear that go beyond the stock apps. Is that what you meant by an all engrossing computer?

4. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

It's too soon to say if Apple got it right, but sales to date would indicate that Android didn't.

5. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Well there s another way of looking at it, which I feel has SOME truth in it.

And this may sound crazy :)

Perhaps not THAT many people genuinely, really want a smartwatch.

However, a lot more people want the latest Apple product.

Whilst not 100% correct, I feel there is a fair amount of truth in the above statement.

If say HP or Blackberry had made EXACTLY the same product as Apple has done, but with minimal advertising, there would only be a fraction of the interest or sales as opposed to something Apple branded, that will, to some degree, generate mass sales instantly amongst a fairly large ground of people.

6. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

Oh, I wouldn't argue with that. But another way of looking at it is that Apple got it right a long time ago and kept getting it right, while BlackBerry and HP haven't.

True story. I bought Blackberry stock just before the start of the rececession, at about $110 a share. There came a time when all my stocks had recovered and were higher than they'd been before the recession - except Blackberry (RIM at the time). It was around $90, so I sold it.

I kept advising my father to do the same. And now it's January 2011. Stock is down to $60. My father's investment advisor says "Hold on, they've got this great new tablet coming out." I may not have the best imagination, but I felt it unlikely anyone could come up with an iPad-killer. The added feature would have to be incredible, and as we know, it couldn't even do email on its own!

On April 19th, the day the Playbook is introduced, the stock is still $55. May 19th it's 44. June 20th it's 26. By the end of the year it's $14.50. Apple went up 20% in the same period.