Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dwhite78

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2010
Wow can't believe I've never seen icarbons. Definitely going to buy bottom+top for my retina. Dwhite, have you had any experiences removing the carbon skin? Does it leave adhesive residue on the machine, etc.? I dont plan on ever removing but I figured I'd ask. I couldn't find anything on their website FAQ.

Many thanks.

I just took a black one off my 2011 macbook air when i sold it. There was no leftover residue.

mfuchs88

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2011
Wow can't believe I've never seen icarbons. Definitely going to buy bottom+top for my retina. Dwhite, have you had any experiences removing the carbon skin? Does it leave adhesive residue on the machine, etc.? I dont plan on ever removing but I figured I'd ask. I couldn't find anything on their website FAQ.

Many thanks.

I do YouTube video reviews and got sent their product for free to review. I loved it and still have the bottom part on, but took the rest off for the video review. The inside parts for the palmrest area were easy enough to get off, but it was the lid that was really tough. It was kind of hard to pull since I was trying to be so careful not to pull too hard and damage my display. I'm sure the computer could have dealt with more than I was throwing at it though. With some time and patience and a little elbow grease, it came off and left no residue whatsoever, and no sticky spots. The only thing I want to note it that while taking it off, the skin will get stretched and wrinkled and you won't be able to put it back on again. Oh and maybe the reason mine was so stuck to the computer was because I used a hair dryer during application to make it a little more permanent and make it mold to the computer better. YMMV depending on your application method. Best of luck! Cheers!

marddin

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2009
I do YouTube video reviews and got sent their product for free to review. I loved it and still have the bottom part on, but took the rest off for the video review. The inside parts for the palmrest area were easy enough to get off, but it was the lid that was really tough. It was kind of hard to pull since I was trying to be so careful not to pull too hard and damage my display. I'm sure the computer could have dealt with more than I was throwing at it though. With some time and patience and a little elbow grease, it came off and left no residue whatsoever, and no sticky spots. The only thing I want to note it that while taking it off, the skin will get stretched and wrinkled and you won't be able to put it back on again. Oh and maybe the reason mine was so stuck to the computer was because I used a hair dryer during application to make it a little more permanent and make it mold to the computer better. YMMV depending on your application method. Best of luck! Cheers!

Thanks for your thorough review. I plan on only getting the bottom iCarbon film. I feel the bottom is most vulnerable to random scratches so I'm not to worried about the palm rest/keyboard and top.

mat25

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2008
Does anyone know if bestskins ever include a liquid solution or do you have to make your own? Trying to decide the best way to protect my future comp :p

albert1028

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2007
Does anyone know if bestskins ever include a liquid solution or do you have to make your own? Trying to decide the best way to protect my future comp :p

THere is none included. You make your own, which is just a pump of dish soap and water. Simple as that!

mgartner0622

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2010
Colorado, USA
For people that are scared of the water... it's really no big deal. You're not using gallons, or more than a teaspoon even. You basically just mist the skin before you put it on, and squeegee out the excess. All in all, the only water that was on my computer was a few drops, and it wasn't near the ports, keyboard, or anywhere that it could get inside.

Orange Furball

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2012
Scranton, PA, USA
For people that are scared of the water... it's really no big deal. You're not using gallons, or more than a teaspoon even. You basically just mist the skin before you put it on, and squeegee out the excess. All in all, the only water that was on my computer was a few drops, and it wasn't near the ports, keyboard, or anywhere that it could get inside.

I put a bunch of paper towel around the ports and vents. Sucks up the water, and is within reach in case of emergencies.

Also use a dropper to use as little water as possible.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
I seriously think life is too short to worry about scratching the bottom of a computer. Sure, take care of it, but I don't really think a skin's necessary.
Who's ever going to see the bottom? Mines got about two scratches on, which I think's OK, but in the end, nobody ever actually sees them.

Stop worrying and enjoy your rMBP :)

PM Harold Saxon

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2010
Perth, West Australia
Well maybe i was! And you werent responding in your other thread.....

Did you apply just the black coats? or did you do black coats and then a clear coat on top? I'm trying to figure out how to cover the bottom feet so they dont rub off like yours did... or just cut out the feet areas..

lol, that was someone else's MacBook. I'd be applying musking tape to the rubber feet to protect them.

I also prefer the clear coat by itself. Anyway, You'll be hearing from me on the process either way.

Teo Morabito

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2011
Bali
Why did you bother spending the money if your too shy to use it?
it's like getting a nice car and never driving it coz ur scared ur driving isn't good enough :p
Just use it, don't be scarred, you will be less likely to scratch it if you don't focus so much on protecting it.
You have one life my friend, just use it

Haha, just read back this message, funny coz I'm now using the black carbon skin for my 2.7 rmbp, just coz it looks really good on it, I-carbon skins are the best.

fskywalker

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2009
I prefer actual cases, all 3 Mac's home use Speck cases, this is mine:

photo.jpg

photo%25281%2529.jpg

highly recommended

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.