Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

urkel

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 3, 2008
When I held the iPhone 6 in my hand I immediately felt it to be a comfortable device and a natural evolution from the previous iPhones... and that's why I don't want it.

Whether people are willing to admit it or not, Apple's reluctance to give into consumer demand has made their product line feel stale.

2007 - iPhone 3.5" Screen
2008 - iPhone 3G 3.5" Screen
2010 - iPhone 4 (New design, same old 3.5" Screen)
2012 - iPhone 5 ("Taller but not Bigger" 4" screen)
2013 - iPhone 5s (Same 4" screen... but now in GOLD!)

So, as "natural" as the 4.7" iPhone 6 feels in the evolution of the iPhone, all those years of waiting is exactly why many 6 Plus owners are happy with their size choice. Sometimes things need to be shaken up and getting a product that doesn't feel "natural" has made the iPhone more interesting that it has ever been.

Personally, I've been after a big phone for years so I love my 6 Plus. I admit that it's slightly bigger than I'd prefer but this isn't like choosing a tattoo. I adjusted to the size (both in hand and in pants) immediately so I'm fine with seeing how the next year or two pan out with a big phone.

I have no idea what size I'll choose next gen but what I do know is that, for right now, then the iPhone is FINALLY exciting again and it's largely due to my large phone.

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
So the Mini was different and exciting because it wasn't a natural evolution of the iPad screen size?

Your phone is a small tablet. Make of it what you will.

julesgold

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2014
When I held the iPhone 6 in my hand I immediately felt it to be a comfortable device and a natural evolution from the previous iPhones... and that's why I don't want it.

Whether people are willing to admit it or not, Apple's reluctance to give into consumer demand has made their product line feel stale.

So, as "natural" as the 4.7" iPhone 6 feels in the evolution of the iPhone, all those years of waiting is exactly why many 6 Plus owners are happy with their size choice. Sometimes things need to be shaken up and getting a product that doesn't feel "natural" has made the iPhone more interesting that it has ever been.

Personally, I've been after a big phone for years so I love my 6 Plus. I admit that it's slightly bigger than I'd prefer but this isn't like choosing a tattoo. I adjusted to the size (both in hand and in pants) immediately so I'm fine with seeing how the next year or two pan out with a big phone.

I have no idea what size I'll choose next gen but what I do know is that, for right now, then the iPhone is FINALLY exciting again and it's largely due to my large phone.

I agree !

jterp7

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2011
So the Mini was different and exciting because it wasn't a natural evolution of the iPad screen size?

Your phone is a small tablet. Make of it what you will.

it essentially replaces the mini for people on the go. For my uses I wouldn't be buying an ipad mini if I got the 6 plus. The verge was right on the money about that...so if you look at it that way, the 100 plus difference is worth it to consolidate to one device (best to get 64 or 128gb at that point though)

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
To be honest, one of the reasons I like iOS devices isn't because they're exciting. It's because they're familiar. I can buy a new iPhone and do a restore from an iTunes backup and app icons, folder arrangement, etc will be the same as they were before. :)

jlake02

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2008
L.A.
Agree with OP. Really like my Plus. Favorite iPhone since the original. Glad it has a big battery because I use it FAR more than I did my last few iPhones!

:)

jterp7

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2011
Agree with OP. Really like my Plus. Favorite iPhone since the original. Glad it has a big battery because I use it FAR more than I did my last few iPhones!

:)

i feel like my 5s dies in just a few hours if you're watching a stream over LTE or on take a few long calls in a row. Is the 6 plus supposed to last twice as long? It'd probably also be a good idea to get the ear piece for the 6 plus lol. For those extra long phone calls

dasx

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2012
Barcelona
Owners of the 6+ trying to justify themselves seem to not be sure about their choice. Same applies to 6 owners mocking the 6+ for its size.

I'm a 6+ owner and love both devices. Yes, the 6+ is huge, super huge. So what? There's no problem with that, actually, that's the reason why I chose it. I barely do/receive any calls, I'm all day chatting, emailing, browsing the web, watching videos, making photos... and for that purpose the bigger the screen, the better. (imo of course). It does fit in my pockets and I don't have any problems carrying it around.

That being said, I completely understand those who don't like it for its size. I can see how the 6+ can be too big for some. If I was making calls the whole day, if the 6+ didn't fit in my pockets, etc. I wouldn't have a 6+, I'd have a 6.

As I said, they both are beautiful. In my personal case, I prefer a bigger screen than a smaller profile. But that's just me. I understand and respect others want other stuff. I just don't need to justify why one choosing is better than the other or mock the phone I don't have.

This is not some kind of war guys...

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
it essentially replaces the mini for people on the go. For my uses I wouldn't be buying an ipad mini if I got the 6 plus. The verge was right on the money about that...so if you look at it that way, the 100 plus difference is worth it to consolidate to one device (best to get 64 or 128gb at that point though)

Yeah I got a 128GB Plus because I figured it would replace the Mini in everyday use and it mostly has. I still like having a tablet for drawing, Lightroom, etc, but I'm definitely going to go for an iPad Air or iPad Plus/Pro next time. My wife and I will have joint custody of the Mini, but I'll probably only use it 10-20% now until I get another iPad. I'll probably skip out on getting whatever comes out next month unless it's really crazy.

What I didn't really expect is how much the Plus would affect my browsing habits. I'd always reach for the iPad for longer browsing sessions on the couch, but now the Plus is good enough that I don't really see the need. That and the battery can most definitely take the double duty use during the day at work and during the evening for play. In my experience the Plus has battery life as good, if not slightly better than the iPad. In my typical usage I get approximately 80 minutes per 10% if I charge overnight. If I don't charge the usage is reduced due to standby, but it's still nearly 75 minutes per 10%.

wvuQuentin

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2010
I'd like a Plus for work, but not personal use. Being able to mark up photos or sketching was why I liked my iPad at work so much. For personal use, though, I'd be fine with 4.7" or less even. The 6 looks great, but it does get annoying shuffling it in my hands or using reach ability to hit the top corners.

mjb59463

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2012
Owners of the 6+ trying to justify themselves seem to not be sure about their choice. Same applies to 6 owners mocking the 6+ for its size.

I'm a 6+ owner and love both devices. Yes, the 6+ is huge, super huge. So what? There's no problem with that, actually, that's the reason why I chose it. I barely do/receive any calls, I'm all day chatting, emailing, browsing the web, watching videos, making photos... and for that purpose the bigger the screen, the better. (imo of course). It does fit in my pockets and I don't have any problems carrying it around.

That being said, I completely understand those who don't like it for its size. I can see how the 6+ can be too big for some. If I was making calls the whole day, if the 6+ didn't fit in my pockets, etc. I wouldn't have a 6+, I'd have a 6.

As I said, they both are beautiful. In my personal case, I prefer a bigger screen than a smaller profile. But that's just me. I understand and respect others want other stuff. I just don't need to justify why one choosing is better than the other or mock the phone I don't have.

This is not some kind of war guys...

You win the award for most sensible post in this thread. Personal preference FTW

ToroidalZeus

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2009
I'm all day chatting, emailing, browsing the web, watching videos, making photos... and for that purpose the bigger the screen, the better. (imo of course)..

brb double taping home button after every text just to reach the 'back' button.

brand

Suspended
Oct 3, 2006

Taller = Bigger. Just because the screen was not wider than it's predecessor does not mean that it is not bigger.

Sakura Squirrel

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2014
I just want a smaller version of an iPad mini that I can also make phone calls on.
The mini is too big to always lug about with me.
I'm tired of peering at my 4S screen.
I am Goldilocks hoping this one is just right.

sjperformance

macrumors 68010
Oct 7, 2013
Miami 305
I pre ordered both the 6 and 6+. Been using the 6 since the 19. The +6 since the 26. This Friday I'm driving to the apple store to return one of them...guess what...the 6 is going back. I've easily adapted to the +6. I swear I would hate it after the constant bashing here and on other forums. But honestly I love it. The amazing display and the awesome battery has me sold. I can use this phone 1 handed. Its not as bad as others makes it out to be. the 6+ truly feels like a big upgrade. Regardless to the 6 or 6+ users. Enjoy your phones.

ZombiePete

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
San Antonio, TX
The Psychology of 6 Plus Ownership. It's not about "Big" its about "Different"

Personally, I've been after a big phone for years so I love my 6 Plus[...]the iPhone is FINALLY exciting again and it's largely due to my large phone.

You kind of contradict your own point in your post: you say in your title that it's not about "big" and then go on to conclude that you like the 6 Plus because it's the bigger phone you've been looking for.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.