The quest for the perfect iPhone 6+ case

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by JohnCrichton, Dec 27, 2014.

1. JohnCrichton, Dec 27, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2014

JohnCrichton macrumors member

JohnCrichton

Hi guys!
    As a newbie to the forum I thought I may get some help with something that has been dwelling on my mind for quite some time.
    I'm a happy owner of an iPhone 6+ since launch day. I've been using the phone in a Spigen Neo Hybrid (not the metal one), which so far only have been a tremendous disappointment. It's too wide and VERY SLIPPERY for the phone to be handled comfortably with one hand (and with that I mean just scrolling and so on, not typing). I've been surfing around for a new case and so far only the Thule Atmos x3 have caught my attention. It has mostly gotten great reviews although I'm afraid it might be a bit too wide. Anyone's thoughts on that?

What I would like from a case (in random order):
    1. Fairly good drop protection (and protection for the phone not to bend!).
    2. Not being too wide.
    3. A lip on the front.
    4. A GRIPPY texture!!!
    5. No open cuts on either end (like the Apple cases).
    I only use propriety cables and no docks.
    If someone would share hers/his thoughts I would appreciate it!
    /JC

2. AE14 macrumors 6502a

Not a fan of the Thule as it is too wide for my liking and not enough lip. I would suggest the Speck Candyshell Grip or the Magpul Field Case

3. tsturbo macrumors regular

tsturbo

I would second the Speck candy shell grip, it does add some bulk and makes it more difficult to slip into your pocket.

For me, the Apple leather case is the best!

Happy case hunting:eek:

4. JohnCrichton thread starter macrumors member

JohnCrichton

Thanks for the replies!
    AE14: won't the rubber stripes come loose after a while? And how wide is the case? Do you have any outer measurements of the case?

5. AE14 macrumors 6502a

I haven't seen evidence of the rubber coming off. I find the Magpul slightly thinner and lighter and thus my top choice. Both have the best fit I have seen for a 6+ case. Very tight to the phone.

6. JohnCrichton thread starter macrumors member

JohnCrichton

Thank you I will check them out and I'll get back to you when I decided on one!

7. AE14 macrumors 6502a

Enjoy the search. There are good cases out there but these are the best 2 I have found. Good drop protection as well

8. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

I recommend the UAG case. Been using it for a month.

9. AE14 macrumors 6502a

I do like this as well. Only in black. It is an ugly case though imo

10. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

I like the industrial fake screws look:)

11. AE14 macrumors 6502a

That's why I like the black. Can't see the screws. The UAG branding is a bit much for me though.

12. ZipZap macrumors 601

I have been very happy with the case on this link. TPU, thin and grippy. Shipped fast from China. Don't let the price fool you. THis is a good case.

BTW…there are also ones without the X design.

Click Me

13. wendimc macrumors member

My favorite case which should also match all your search criteria is the Crystal Clear Revealer by Totallee. It's a clear TPU case. Another one I usually recommend to people that are more concerned about drop protection and look for something more heavy duty is the Commuter Series by Otterbox. Tech21 also has some good cases.

I have over a dozen cases and went through many disappointments myself before finding the perfect cases.

14. JohnCrichton thread starter macrumors member

JohnCrichton

Alright guys! I went for the Speck candyshell grip. It'll take some time to find its way to Sweden but when it does I'll make a mini review and a quick comparison to the Spigen Neo Hybrid. Thank you for all the help!
    Happy New Year!

15. FieldingMellish Suspended

Zoogue Social Pro cases made all the difference in my handling of 6+. It has all criteria of the OP with exception of stiffness to help keep the phone straight. It's for moderate drop protection and it is easy to remove if you want to do a color or case change if the mood strikes you, whereas removing the phone from my UAG could have been sufficient cause to accidently bend the phone while doing so. Excellent grip with Zoogue and it does not show finger prints. $10.00 at Amazon, and I bought a second case direct from Zoogue for $5.00 on sale.

http://www.zoogue.com/iphone-6-plus-case-social-pro/

16. JaYrUs macrumors member

ZooGue Social Pro Case

I've tried a total of 6 cases for my iPhone 6 Plus including Spigen Neo Hybrid, Rock transparent TPU case, Ringke Slim SF Matte Black, Diztronic, and a generic TPU case on eBay. The Zoogue Social Pro case offers a very good balance of all around protection, slimness, ample access to ports, button tactile feedback, and hand grip. The only disadvantage for me is the not so subtle branding on the lower back area of the case.

17. FieldingMellish Suspended

Any branding could bother some of us. Zoogue branding is about as subtle as it can be. It is centered, toward the bottom, in discrete size, and the only contrast for the logo to show up is a gloss finish of the logo, whereas the case is matte. Compare Zoogue branding to UAG, which is front and center, vertical, in a contrasting color, large and bold.

18. JohnCrichton thread starter macrumors member

JohnCrichton

I checked it out (the zoogue) and I'll definitely have it as a plan b of the Speck candyshell grip turn out to be too wide.

19. Autokon macrumors 6502

Autokon

20. Melonville macrumors newbie

I have just ordered this case, not just for the case but for the car and desk holder too. Have been using the Surface pad which is nice but not much protection and can't mount in car.

http://www.studioproper.com.au/pages/iphone-6-cases

21. danny8200 macrumors 65816

danny8200

I settled on the power support Air Jacket in smoke Gray.

22. tops2 macrumors regular

My quest for a case *hopefully* has ended for my 6 plus. Here's the ones that I went through:

1. Spigen Air Cushion: I purchased this as a "temporary" 1st case while I wait for one that I really want. The case is alright, but the buttons on mine was hard to push. It really annoyed me so I really started looking for another case.

2. random cheap Ebay transparent 0.3mm case: Bought one for only ~$0.80 just for fun. I really really like the slimness of the case. Too bad the camera on mine seems to touch the table when I set it down. This case provides some scratch protection...but in the end, I wanted more protection for the phone.

3. Powersupport Air Jacket Force (from Apple store): I liked this case, but the one I got creaked in the corner. This case is more grippy than the first 2..but still slides around some times. But eventually, I was taking on and off the case to play with the ones I have, this case cracked on the side after taking it off only 3-4 times.

4. Ringke MAX: Got this right before Christmas break. I like the protection of this case and the looks of it. But the back is so slick even though its textured. When using the phone one handed, it feels like the phone was going to drop all the time. I'm in the process of returning this case just cause of the slickness of the back.

5. Speck Candyshell Grip: This is my current case and most likely will be my permanent case. I still am not crazy about the looks of it (and it looked too large) so initially, I didn't even consider this case. But right before Christmas, I went to Best Buy and saw it happened to be on sale so I just thought what the heck and tried it out. The grippiness really stood out to me, and I liked the build and quality of the case. While its still large, its much smaller than I thought. I can use the 6 plus confidently one handed, even while holding the baby!

My journey has ended with the Speck Candyshell Grip which I really like. I am tempted by the imitation Apple leather case that I saw in the Apple leather case thread...but otherwise, I'm glad I'm done with the search. I hope you'll like your Candyshell Grip case too. =)

23. mhoepfin macrumors regular

24. velvetelvis macrumors 6502

velvetelvis

i got the speck case also and for everyday use its great. i will be getting a thinner case as a "dress up" case for the times when i go out someplace nice and the speck case is a bit to much.

25. scott99 macrumors 6502a

I Really really like the Seidio Surface for my iPhone 6+. Love the way it feels (not slippery), love the really rigidigity of the case (no chance to bend), has an excellent lip on the front for lay on the table design, even has a kickstand to watch videos (vertically). BUT, major design flaw, it's a 2 piece design, where you connect the bottom part by sliding into the top and there is a click and it's supposed to be closed tightly. But it seems to open up quite often, slipping it out of my pocket, the case separates, almost flung my phone because of this. I wish this didn't happen, because it's my favorite case. But if it opens up exposing the phone with ahrdly any pressure, I can't imagine it protecting the phone if it falls on the ground, it would probably pop open.