The Question That's Been Asked 1000 Times: Best Case for iPhone 4s

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by saraja87, Apr 9, 2012.

1. saraja87, Apr 9, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2012

saraja87 macrumors newbie

Hi Everyone!

I just got my new iPhone 4s in white after my old 3g was stolen. My first thought was to buy an Otterbox defender for it, but I held off because it seems a little bulky. Then I thought I'd go with lifeproof. I've read just about every "Best iPhone Case" round up out there and have gone through countless posts on this forum, and find myself even more stuck since each case seems to have something wrong with it. They also seem to be coming out with a new case every other day!

Since everyone here seems to have tested out a good number of cases, I figured I'd go ahead and see what everyone recommends. If you could only buy one case to use everyday, it could be a combo like screen protector plus bumper etc., based on the following criteria, what would you suggest I buy?

My Criteria:
    • Good Protection. Obviously the most important. I'm a phone dropper, I usually put it in my lap in the car while driving and them drop it when I stand up. That said, I never really damaged my uncased 3g except for minor scratches and dings but it did hit the pavement a few times.
    • Not too bulky, but I'm willing to put up with it if that's what it takes for proper protection. I could live with the Otterbox defender and almost ordered it, but I wanted to see if there's something better,
    • No camera interference. I love the camera, use it all the time, and don't want weird flash back
    • Screen protection! No scratches or cracks please. Again, could be separate if it has to be.
    • The ability to actually use the whole screen, some cases seem to block portions of it
    • The ability to use all the buttons
    • Price is flexible though ideally it shouldn't be insanely expensive
    • Water resistant/proof is good but not a must have
    • No reduction in signal, sound or call quality
    • Preferably in harmony with the design of the phone
    • I like different colors, but could also just go with white to match the phone
    • I'm open to different finishes and textures
    • The ability to use a car charger and sync cable, I don't use a dock

Is there something crucial I'm forgetting? Does such a case exist? I'd also love to get a battery case since the battery drains so fast but that would be a separate consideration. Usually, once I put my phone in a case, it stays there.

ETA: Also, it seems obvious, but it shouldn't damage the phone.

2. HickDead macrumors 6502a

HickDead

So if this question has been asked a "1000 times" already....WHY ask it again?

There are plenty of threads here talking and reviewing almost EVERY iPhone 4/4S cases & bumpers (genuine + knockoffs) known to mankind.

Maybe instead of clicking "New Topic" you should have hit the SEARCH button instead. :rolleyes:

3. saraja87, Apr 9, 2012

saraja87 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your input, maybe I wasn't clear enough in my post. I have actually searched through the forum and read a good deal of the threads. It seems that as each new case comes out or each new version of a case comes out, that the reviews are not longer applicable since things change. For example, the first version of a case might have had a cutout too small for the camera that resulted in flashback. That defect may or may not be present on the newest version. Some cases I was considering were reviewed in their first generation, and are now in the second or third. Some cases might have been the best at the end of 2011 but there is now something better in April 2012. I was concerned about considering out dated material and figured it would be best to start a new thread so I could get current suggestions based on the newest iteration of the case.

4. OneBigFatNinja macrumors member

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1333995101.081210.jpg Have you thought of the otterbox commuter case? they have revamped it for the 4s and it will fit the 4 also. Seems the camera and flash hole is now much bigger and therefore not an issue.

They do different colours (mix and match it you had more than one) it's sturdy, has a good grip as its a hybrid case, covers all the ports and offers drop protection due to 2 layers.

It appears slimmer than the defender and if you get a good screen shield like zagg or SGP that sorts the screen protection also.

I am waiting on the green one. I found it originally on a video review on YouTube.

HTH.

Tony

5. Prospekt macrumors regular

The speck candyshell series has a lot of colors, offers great protection, and is still thin enough to preserve most of the look of the iPhone.

6. labman macrumors 604

labman

7. eclipse01 macrumors 68020

eclipse01

8. saraja87 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I've read the search for the perfect case thread and it seems to be a pretty futile hunt. Ideally the perfect case would be a bulletproof, waterproof, indestructible iPhone. Since I don't see Apple coming out with that anytime soon (darn!) I have to look for the next best thing.

I don't mind sacrificing some of the design to get good protection, so I'm hoping that someone knows of some case that would fit the aforementioned criteria.

----------

@OneBigFatNinja

Thanks, that's a good suggestion. I've been so stuck on the defender that I didn't really pay the commuter proper attention. I'll look into it more.

9. Breedlove, Apr 9, 2012

Breedlove macrumors regular

I am a phone dropper as well and I hated the bulkiness of the more "protective" cases. After 10+ cases I'm now sticking with my charcoal gray modello on my white 4s.

The material is durable, thin in comparison to other cases, and drop resistant (to which I can vouch for as my phone has taken no damage from a few nasty falls on the pavement).

It also comes in a variety of colors and designs while not detracting from the slim profile of the iPhone.

Does not interfere with camera flash at all.

But the most important factor for me has to be that it can accommodate any screen protector available for the iPhone and has a lay-on-the table design (currently using a Wrapsol Ultra front and a cheapie amazon back protector)
    I've benched a fair share of cases because they just couldn't fit the phone and the wrapsol protector.

10. iamartimus macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted

Magpul covers your criteria (except water resistance, which was not a necessity) plus its intexpensive.

11. brollikk macrumors newbie

12. HickDead macrumors 6502a

HickDead

Just one word of advice.....stay the hell away from those stupid-looking aluminum bumpers/cases. Not only will most of them affect your signal, they also take away from the "sexy" look of the iPhone.

Just my $0.02

13. Nocturnal-G macrumors newbie

Element Case ION 4... only case you'll ever need. I use mine with a PS Crystal screen protector, so far so good. Tight fit, excellent protection. Highest quality case I could find.

14. DroidRules macrumors 65816