The random dialer

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by woodekm, Aug 7, 2010.

1. woodekm macrumors 65816

woodekm

OK. First, I love my iPhone. Haven't had any dropped calls and antenna "bars" are fine with me (I accept the lower amount of bars VS my 3Gs in the same areas).

My phone randomly dials people in my phone book - which I just verified to be in my recent calls list - or so I think. I would hang up after talking to someone, or try to call someone and hang up (not home, voice mail etc). The phone would then start to automatically dial a phone number.

I would either look at the phone and it would be in calling mode, or even worse, someone would tell me later on, that they received a call from me and they could then hear me talking to someone in the room (unaware that I just "called" someone). That can be a REALLLLLLL bad thing depending on who's listening, that's for sure. Its like being eavesdropped on.

Anyway, I thought it was the proximity sensor that was doing this, but tonight, my phone was sitting in front of me, and I made a call, but hung up because it went to voice mail. After I hung up, (hit end) my iPhone started dialing ANOTHER number, like 5 seconds later. I at first thought it was incoming, but then realized it was not.

I now clear my "recents" list (no help) and have a password added (no help as well).

Anyone else have a problem with this dialing issue? This seems to be getting worse.

PS..... a friend just called me (after I typed all of this) and said she could hear my phone in my pocket, today and she could hear me grocery shopping. Nice. I used Safari on my phone just before I went into the store, so I had NOT just dialed someone before that random dial. Its happening in my pocket too.

2. Airmark1 macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

Lock the screen with a password. That'll help in the beginning.

You are locking the phone (putting it in standby) right?

3. Irish Rose macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

This was going to be my question as well. I do not think it would be doing this if the lock feature was on.

4. Airmark1 macrumors regular

Maybe the phone is just lonely.

I'd try a restore.

5. draz macrumors 6502a

You have a dialer program installed... Welcome to the 90's :p

jk ;) But yea do a restore if the phone starts acting weird, it should clear up.

6. woodekm thread starter macrumors 65816

woodekm

Na....

I have the screen on lock (doesn't help), It will dial within 10 seconds of me hanging up. Also it dialed randomly, while in my pocket (even after being on safari instead of actually dialing a ph # before). Im sure if its in my pocket, SOMETHING is initiating the random dial, but to see it actually dial after I hang up from a call?!?!?!!?!

No dialer installed, stock phone.

I might restore, but I think then (if that doesnt help) Ill call Apple and get it replaced. This is unacceptable and actually scary!

BTW... It always dials a number that is in my ph book not a literal random #..