The Real iPhone Killer?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Syrus28, Feb 17, 2008.

1. Syrus28 macrumors 6502a

Syrus28

Yeah, so I was looking around at infosyncworld and I found this: Nvidia Mobile Prototype

It's a nVidia prototype to show off their Nvidia APX 2500... However, they are willing to actually build this if a manufacture picks up the idea. (Maybe Motorola?)

2. zetsurin macrumors regular

That looks awesome. Would love to see that in full production.

3. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Interface overload and form over function. Now we have vista on iphone!

4. elmo151 Guest

unlikely! wait until the SDK based apps begin flooding the market.

I suspect Apple has several more generations of iPhone in the pipeline which will counter moves by other vendors.

THE REAL IPHONE KILLER IS AT&T

5. skinnylegs macrumors 65816

skinnylegs

Not bad for a prototype. Interesting how they have a CoverFlow like thing going on.

6. JCastro macrumors 6502a

It does look slick but I didn't see it do anything that the iPhone doesn't. The advantage that Apple has is that theirs is already out and is still a work in progress. It keeps getting better and better with each update.

7. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Why the attached cable...

right in the middle of the device? It looked cumbersome, and difficult to maneuver with the left hand, if you'll notice how that cable sits between the thumb and the forefinger. :confused:

8. Syrus28 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Syrus28

Well remember this was made by Nvidia (a hardware company) to show off their mobile GPU. So if a real phone maker licenses this, I imagine the interface would get a makeover (however slightly).

This does show, however, that Apple can't count on the interface alone to sell the phone. People are bound to catch up.

9. polishmacuser macrumors 6502a

polishmacuser

THE REAL IPHONE KILLER IS AT&T( i second that) but what can we do :( unlocking is just fighting it but you have to jailbreak every time for it to work.

10. Starflyer macrumors 6502a

Starflyer

I am very satisfied with at&t. What is the problem?

11. bjett92 macrumors 6502a

I don't see the problem with at&t either. I have service everywhere i go.

12. chr1s60 macrumors 68000

chr1s60

Very nice looking, probably the best I have seen other than the iPhone. The one issue I have is that it really isn't anything new. The reason the iPhone "killed" other phones on release is because it was something that simply hadn't been done. At the time there was no completely touch interface from a recognizable company that had mass appeal and a nice look. The iPhone had/has all of those things and that is why it sold like crazy. It seems like these "iPhone Killer" phones are simply trying to do the exact same thing as the iPhone with only a different interface. That is essentially like LG making a phone that looked like the Razr, changing the keypad and giving it a different UI. It ends up being the same phone with only a few different features. The "iPhone killer" will be the phone that does things the iPhone and almost all other phones are unable to do, just as the iPhone did when it was released.

Phone companies are doing the wrong thing if they are just attempting to redesign the iPhone.

13. TurboSC macrumors 65816

TurboSC

I switched to ATT and it hasn't given me any problems...

14. Syrus28 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Syrus28

Whoa there. Did the iPhone really offer anything new? I mean, yeah it offered a better web browser, but thats it. In terms of features, it was even behind in some aspects (MMS, 3G). What made it so popular was the way it did the original things. The interface was nice looking and easy to use. It didn't really offer anything over the competition, it was just in a pretty package, with a very easy yet cool interface.. Except now something comes out that is cooler.

Really, the only department the mobile phone companies were behind Apple was the interface, not the features because there was nothing the iPhone was able to do that other phones weren't able to do. It was all in the interface. This prototype just closed that gap. (If someone adapts it). Hence, the "iPhone killer".

15. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Looked essentially like an iPhone with a more-powerful processor and everything in cover flow. Definitely better than a BlackBerry, but all we saw in that was some dude flipping his thumb over pictures of God knows what.

16. chr1s60 macrumors 68000

chr1s60

Actually the iPhone offered a lot of new stuff. The multi-touch movements and accelerometer, proven mp3/video player integration, a full web browser, their own youtube widget, and a smartphone that actually had an easy UI and and the ability to put it all in an appealing package. That was all new, plus it had an entirely new way of activation that kept people from needing to be in an AT&T store for hours waiting. Even though it lacks some features, it had plenty of new added to the features it simply upgraded.

17. sjo macrumors 6502a

why on earth it has to be activated in the first place is way beyond me. i never even though my cell might need any kind on activation. just place the sim card in, that's it.

it seems to me that iphone brought a lot of new stuff for the us markets the ppl there never experienced before, for most other markets, however, there's really not that much new there, as pointed out in the post you replied to.

18. ssajous macrumors member

Modu

I think that the Modu phone has the potential to give the iphone a run for it's money because of the modular aspect of it. Knowing the Asian market and how gadgets are big with their consumers, and given the fact that apparently the addons for that phone are going to be very cheap, I can see younger kids really liking it. Aside from some of the things that the the iphone does not do well such as MMS and other things that I am willing to live with, one of the hard things for me to deal with is the prospect that there is always the risk that a couple of days after I buy an apple product, a new version (with some of the things that should have been out with my version) might come out without warning.

The Modu is a more sensible way of doing things I think, one can buy the phone, and has the choice of getting what ever addon he/she wants.

my $0.02

19. beeh macrumors regular

How many times have we all heard "iPod Killer"...and that's never happened. Everyone is too busy playing catch-up. I would think if you had an iPhone ( or iPod Touch ), seeing a device like this looks like a step backward ( it does to me ). While you have to congratulate their efforts, in it's current form, it's just not a replacement for an iPhone.

20. DaffyDuck macrumors 6502

This does indeed look impressive but what about the rest of the interface? What OS is it using? One of the great benefits of the iPhone is that it is built from very solid and mature operating system with millions of man hours behind it. If this is just going to be tacked on top of Windows Mobile then no thanks. I've had plenty of bad experiences with that OS.

21. Syrus28 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Syrus28

It is a prototype showing the power of Nvidia's new mobile GPU. Although I still don't see how you can view this as a step backwards.

Ok, would we really call these new features? They were really just alternate ways of doing things other phones already had. Im not trying to take anything away from the iPhone (i had one), but it really just refined the features already out there. Nothing we haven not seen before.

1. Multi-touch movements - The ability to use an extra finger proved quite useful when viewing pictures and zooming in Safari.
    However, there were plenty of touch sensitive (single touch) phones out there.
    2. Accelerometer - Used to switch to landscape mode (other phones switched when you opened the keyboard)
    3. Proven mp3/video player integration - I'd say Sony Erricson phones and some higher end Nokia phones had this down.
    4. Full web browser - Very good web browser, but no flash support. That kind of takes away from the "full" part.
    5. Youtube widget - huh? Other phones don't have "widgets" so I guess that counts. Although many phones can go to the
    youtube.com (flash support)
    6. Appealing package/easy ui - This is a preference. Again, I'd say Sony Erricson, Nokia, and LG had this down. Although the
    iPhones was just as good/better.

And when we look at the things the iPhone lacks:

1. Picture/Video messages - Supposed to be this all-in-one media megaphone but no MMS?
    2. 3G - With its wonderful browser, they neglected to use 3G (for battery reasons??).
    3. Cut/Copy/Paste - A step back from normal smart-phones.
    4. Flash - Supposed to be the "real internet" but no flash support?

Again, I had an iPhone but left because of poor coverage on AT&T's part, so I bought an iPod touch. I, personally, see this as some serious competition. Assuming they can cover the basics, that prototype could turn into something big.

22. Aries326 macrumors 6502

Windows has been around for how long now and they still haven't caught up. Apple just keeps getting better. I expect the interface on the iPhone to evolve as well. Not by much but Apple isn't the type of company to sit on its past successes.

23. bbplayer5 macrumors 68030

iPhone will use that processor also in the future. That "phone" is probably 2 years off since no one is making it.

24. poke4christ macrumors member

The real iPhone killer (though it probably won't kill it) will be Android. Form, Function, and Features will all meet in the best possible way. Plus, it won't have the problem of insane restrictions that the iPhone has.

25. Starflyer macrumors 6502a

Starflyer

Mobile e-mail is the future. I don't miss the lack of MMS.

My iPhone (on EDGE) loads web pages just as fast or faster than my 3G RAZR V3x. And I don't have to charge my phone every 3 hours.

I'll give you this one.

Another feature I don't miss. The only site I really used that used flash was YouTube and Apple solved that. I would rather have better battery life than flash ads in my face all the time. But that's just me.