The Real Iphone Killer!!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tongteh, Oct 20, 2008.

1. tongteh macrumors 6502

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

There was a webisodey HD on demand suspense / thriller "series" that was a thinly veiled commercial for this thing... it did seem pretty impressive, though.

3. hotzenplotz macrumors regular

One can fantasize, no?
    Sadly, it now appears that the demonstration was little more than a validation board running fresh from the factory, three-day old Moorestown silicon in an Intel lab. Significant, but hardly a working MID prototype. A working Moorestown MID like that pictured above remains the stuff of Intel's graphics department fantasy for the time being.
    ;)

4. bbplayer5 macrumors 68030

Too long. They need to shrink that thing down. Too bad they cant.

5. mutantblack macrumors regular

if only they can actually come out like that prototype. It still seems 1 or 2 more year wait? I hope WM7 comes out already at that time.

6. Clete2 macrumors 65816

Clete2

Aside from the fact that it wouldn't fit in my pocket, that looks awesome. Too bad it isn't a reality. You could put a full software keyboard on that (almost real size). :O

7. tongteh thread starter macrumors 6502

the fact is that it will eventually deliver to us, right? :) i guess these developers having the idea is a good thing.. keeps the market running with more products. :)

i agree with the rest, it's way too long!!

8. Marky_Mark macrumors 6502a

Marky_Mark

The guy kept saying it was 'revolutionary', a 'massive transformation', containing serious 'innovation'; I think it's just an evolutionary step up from the iPhone, unless I'm missing something. It's the same stuff, just on a bigger screen that goes to the edges, rather than stopping a little short at top and bottom like we're all familiar with now. I'd be surprised if this wasn't the next step, frankly, so what's so special?

I agree with the others too - form factor is too long. If I sat down with that in my pocket, it would probably get damaged unless the pockets were deep, as your hips would bend the device.

9. RTiii320 macrumors 6502a

RTiii320

10. RTiii320 macrumors 6502a

RTiii320

Video chat, are damn iphone cant even record video's.:confused:

11. Marky_Mark macrumors 6502a

Marky_Mark

Granted, but my point is, none of these features on their own are revolutionary, innovative, blah blah. I know the iPhone doesn't have them, but the interface is still much more worth having than the missing features. This Intel jobbie still has drop down menus, so it's not that spectacular. It's just WinMo repackaged for a touch screen. Phones I've had in the past have had worthlessly low res video with crap sound anyway, and most other 3G phones already have video calling which no-one uses because it's invasive, inconvenient (try walking along having a video chat without walking into a lamp post) and is horrendously priced, so dubious value to be had there. I like the shopping thing, but it would take some level of collaboration as each company would use their own proprietary SKU codes and would have to publish them publicly to be used as a reference. The geotagging is already done today and three or four way video conferencing, again, is evolutionary. Data rates and processor speeds in a couple of years time should easily handle it. I'll take these features when they come, but I don't miss what I've had and I don't hanker after what I haven't.

The only thing I really, really miss is MMS, which ironically, people keep telling me is positively stone-age! ;) I'd even take that over cut & paste if I had to make the choice.

12. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

It will be when it's real. Until then, it's just a mockup.

13. Jelite macrumors 6502a

So wheres the camera for video chat when the screen go's to the edge of the device?

If it was that long it's begging to get a snapped screen.

14. cere macrumors 6502

yeah, why too long. I think the guys dreaming this unit up should walk around for a week with a metal ruler in the pocket. After a few days of being jammed in the gut or it bending or snapping, they will reconsider their design.

15. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

I thought that was a *spoof* video for the iPhone; poking fun at its size.

Seriously, that monstrosity isn't a killer it just reminds us that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

16. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Blah... the thing isn't even real. Please lets some real competition.

17. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

18. Eric Isaacson macrumors 6502

Too long. Even if it was real I'd pass on it.

Eric

19. chameleon81 macrumors 6502

u should be either a girl with a bag or a guy with veryyyy deep pockets :)

20. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Is that a Moorestown MID or are you just happy to see me? :eek:

:D

21. Loonytik macrumors 6502a

Loonytik

22. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

23. Clete2 macrumors 65816

Clete2

I assume that MID stands for Mobile Internet Device?

24. bluenoise macrumors 6502a

It looks like it would be as nice to carry as a car's rearview mirror.

25. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

The real iPhone killer:

Attached Files: