Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

McPhallus

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2011
I have heard several people express a similar sentiment: Apple should have delayed the launch until they had enough stock to get everyone who ordered on the first night to get a launch day watch. This makes no sense to me, because it sounds a lot like, "If I can't have my watch day one, then no one should have it." Why would Apple hold off on releasing the watch, delaying sales? I think if they had done that, a LOT of people would be complaining much more loudly because they don't even have a shot of getting the watch ASAP.

I got attacked on another thread for making the same suggestion. But when you think about it, the actual release date is pretty much an arbitrary thing. If they had waited and produced more to meet initial supply, perhaps most models/variations would have had the same two or one week delivery window. I know that's speculative, but then you wouldn't have all these people complaining, buying one model just to exchange it later or sell it, delivery windows getting moved up, and it would be a more uniform rollout (more like previous releases).

ninjadex

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2004
if certain combinations were clearly not going to be available at "launch," apple should have said that in advance or not offered those models for pre-order on 4/10 (pink sport band, all leather loops). If Apple Knew it was going to have a launch "window'" it should have advertised it in advance ("pre-orders will deliver a minimum of 2-4 weeks from the date ordered, and may take longer depending upon the popularity and availability of the model you select"). If Apple knew after 4/10 that parricular models would not deliver in the early part of th 4/24 to 5/8 window, it should have advised its effected customers. Etc.

Communication. Lacking.

I clearly remember seeing an estimated "window" before placing my order. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but has even a single person seen their delivery date get pushed back? If not, then what's the trouble?

I can sympathize with wanting a first day delivery, but you had the option not to place the order if you don't like the dates given. We all had that same option and took the same risk. I think it's unrealistic to expect anything more. That's the real issue.

Supermallet

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2014
Uh no, because we never would have known. We would have just all been ready on 5/9. We wouldn't have know about 4/24.

Honestly it seems like they had some issue. Clearly. We don't know what it is, but based on serial numbers, and weeks of production, and deliveries, we know they've actually moved only a small (for Apple) amount of product and they just started manufacturing in April. So really the only logical conclusion is that they were more driven to meet their Spring promise and please shareholders than actually produce in quantity. Is this the new Apple? Beholden to the stock holders?

I got attacked on another thread for making the same suggestion. But when you think about it, the actual release date is pretty much an arbitrary thing. If they had waited and produced more to meet initial supply, perhaps most models/variations would have had the same two or one week delivery window. I know that's speculative, but then you wouldn't have all these people complaining, buying one model just to exchange it later or sell it, delivery windows getting moved up, and it would be a more uniform rollout (more like previous releases).

Apple isn't just answering to the general public on this, they were also answering to shareholders and investors. If they delayed the launch, that's a big knock on them and could affect the support of shareholders and investors. I'm sure this is why they chose to release with limited inventory. They were stuck between angering the general public, who they knew would still buy Apple products in droves anyway, or their investors, and they chose to please their investors.

Also, I'm not so sure that most people are as upset as some on the forums are. I think most people saw the window, said, "Guess I'm waiting a bit", and placed their order. Most people don't go comparing order times and researching production delays and tracking planes and so on. My guess is that the people upset with this launch are a minority, albeit a highly vocal minority.

ricktat

macrumors 68000
Feb 18, 2013
Selling the watch by itself with no band....could have solved a lot of these problems.... Buy the band separately.

Waiting another month until launch could have helped too.

Look at the facts.

Apple didn't know for sure if this was going to be a hit or they would have made more stock. They didn't even ship models to their stores. The marketing has been huge for the watch. New product or not...many more commercials than iPhone or iPad. Then this goofy fashion angle. No one cares if a model or Beyoncé owns the watch. Let the watch stand on its own like other Apple products. Stars still pay for Apple devices unless Samsung has them on the payroll.

kingofgreenlake

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2011
Coeur d'alene Idaho
I ordered mine as soon as the pre-orders opened. I have the 42mm SG Black Band. I received it on the 24th but was pleasantly surprised and found the process to be as I expected. I honestly expected to get mine sometime between the 1st and the 8th.

zmunkz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2007
Also, I'm not so sure that most people are as upset as some on the forums are. I think most people saw the window, said, "Guess I'm waiting a bit", and placed their order. Most people don't go comparing order times and researching production delays and tracking planes and so on. My guess is that the people upset with this launch are a minority, albeit a highly vocal minority.

Agreed on that point... for most people I don't think this was a big deal. Even the very vocal people will be over it within a week or two for the most part.

For me it is more confusion with what to make of the whole thing... they showed us this product seeming ready-to-launch back in September, but told us we would have to wait for April (which was already a little odd), then they opened pre-orders two full weeks before their "launch day" (which was also a little off), and then even the very first order into their system was setup for a 2-week-wide delivery window. None of those things are "wrong", but they don't feel very "Apple".

Mingle that with the fact people spent a lot of money and are excited to see a new product, and it has created much sharper emotions than are strictly warranted. I think we have to see how the deliveries ultimately pan out, wait for some clarity into the later orders that shipped sooner, and with hindsight we will be able to see if this was some big debacle, or really just a lot of overanalyzing ********.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.