The real reason for stacks?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Mr Skills, Nov 18, 2007.

1. Mr Skills macrumors 6502a

Mr Skills

There's been a lot of discussion about Stacks, and how they seem to be a new interface for something that could easily be done with more functionality in Tiger. This may be a silly thought, but perhaps there is method in Apple's madness beyond just an "eye candy" thing. Has anyone noticed that the "Stacks" interface is much more suited to a touchscreen interface than the old system? Just imagine tapping it with your finger :)

Maybe they're just getting things in shape for the future?

2. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

Good point. Still, would be nice if they offered the option to revert back to the old system for the people that want it (I'm fine with stacks).

3. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

There have been whispers about a tablety thing, that sits in a dock of sorts...

4. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

If so then it would be optional I think, Apple are very good at keeping one potential OS separate from another (the iPhone similarities to OSX came in Leopard not Tiger, such as the TM slide).

5. Me1000 macrumors 68000

Me1000

in the betas there was a very nice feature where you could select a group of files and/or apps and drag them to the dock (at the same time) and it would create a new stack filled with them. I am kind of disappointed it was taken out!

6. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

What do you mean by "Tablety thing" Hierarchal menus??? That would put so much needed (but forgotten) icing on Leopard.

7. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Definitely, I'd like an Applications stack, but don't want one cluttered with Exposé, Spaces and other icons I'll never touch...aliases aren't pretty either...

8. ceres macrumors regular

Probably the rumored tablet pc/mac that apple is supposed to have in the pipeline.

9. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

*Dr. Zoidberg getting rejected*

"Awwww." :(

10. TheStu macrumors 65816

Personally I tossed all those into the Utilities Folder.... Out of sight, out of mind.

11. CRAZYBUBBA macrumors 65816

CRAZYBUBBA

I don't see a connection. I think it's simply a cleaner, more efficient way of handling downloads.

12. koobcamuk macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

That was my favourite feature too! I wonder why it was removed? I guess too many problems. Let us hope it returns!

13. theman macrumors 6502a

yeah, i remember seeing that feature in a video somewhere. now i remeber why i was actually looking forward to stacks. i thought there was something missing... hopefully we see it again.

14. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

I have Stacks on my iPod Touch... and I gotta admit it is nice with the touchscreen interface. We can only hope...

15. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

I personally like stacks. I got a recents stack, so now I have recent apps and recents documents. Quite handy.

16. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

And that nice little bit of code...

Code:
     defaults write com.apple.dock persistent-others -array-add '{ "tile-data" = { "list-type" = 1; }; "tile-type" = "recents-tile"; }'

17. illegalprelude macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

yea, im a big fan of Stacks. I think its functional and beautiful.

18. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

there was also the ability to open folders in grid view while still in the stack. im very disappointed this was dropped.

ive got a recents stack too. have you noticed that when you right click it you can select recents docs, apps and also favourite volumes so you can use it as a disk launcher. have you also noticed that the recent docs stack doesnt have icon previews? thats pretty crap.

19. Cloudane macrumors 68000

Cloudane

Recents... that sounds like a good idea... you mean like the "Today" search folder as in you can have search folders as stacks? That'd be rather useful...

I love it just for the downloads. Most software is defaulting to there already, which is *far* tidier than shoving everything onto the desktop, yet more accessible than tucking it away in a standard folder somewhere!

My only gripe is the item limit. Applications stack makes a great launcher, much prettier than Windows' start menu, but eventually things start spilling over to the "x items in finder" bit which makes it kind of pointless at that stage.

20. Pittsax macrumors 6502

Pittsax

What exactly does this nice bit of code do? Sorry, but I'm pretty UNIX illiterate :eek:

21. benpatient macrumors 68000

Well, I think the real reason for Stacks is to make me re-install Tiger.

I waited for 10.5.1, because people told me to wait on it and give Apple a chance to fix the problems with various things. Most of the problems I was OK with because there are so many good things about Leopard.

But Stacks and more specifically, the removal of the old right-click folders option for the dock has finally broken me. I just can't take it any more, so I did an erase-install back to Tiger last night.

Maybe by 10.5.4 or something, they will re-insert all of the things that were in the dev builds that got cut from the public release.

oh well.

22. TheStu macrumors 65816

I keep hearing about how different it was with folders on the dock in Tiger. I never had them there though... what exactly was different?

23. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

In Tiger you could right click on a folder in the dock and see a hierarchical layout. It's sort of like a start menu for them and that's what people miss. Personally, I never used the feature because it reminded me too much of Windows and I use Spotlight as my app launcher anyway.

24. TheStu macrumors 65816

Aaah. Personally I like launching with Stacks, and i have gotten used to Command+Clicking on an application in the Dock to jump to its folder in Finder, which is really handy IMO.

25. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

My downloads folder/stack has very quickly become a major part of my workflow. Stacks is great for me.