Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

noobinator

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Sorry for the clickbait title in advance but I wanted to give some input and some of my observations.

I've owned macs for the past decade of all sorts. Recently had a 2014 mbp and a 2014 air.

I realize there are exceptions and certain machines may have legitimate lag issues. But I feel the majority of the issues are because people are looking for it. They are looking for it because ever since the processor was revealed it has been a question in if it would lag at all. So naturally people are more critical and look for lag more.

I know personally that every computer I've ever owned has lagged at some point whether it was a fully loaded MBP or a netbook. They all lag at some point under certain conditions. People just didn't look for it on their machines prior to this as much because the processors were not in question as much.

I go back to my pro every now and then and it lags too under the right conditions. So in conclusion, stop looking for it and you probably won't find it.

kingofwale

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
funny way of looking at it. Might as well cover your ears and eyes too while you are at it.

It lags horribly when I tried to watch IGN video at 1080P, a task that was handled easily before with my 2012 rMBP or 2013 MBA 13.

now, should I blame myself for the lag? Only thing I can be blamed is encourage Apple's by actually paying for this.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
funny way of looking at it. Might as well cover your ears and eyes too while you are at it.

It lags horribly when I tried to watch IGN video at 1080P, a task that was handled easily before with my 2012 rMBP or 2013 MBA 13.

now, should I blame myself for the lag? Only thing I can be blamed is encourage Apple's by actually paying for this.

I played around with the base rMB at the Apple store the other day. I loaded up youtube and watched 4K videos. Then I opened a bunch of apps and put them on different spaces. I then flipped between the desktops directly (ctrl + arrow, or 4 finger swipe) and also used mission control whilst a 4K video was playing. I didn't see any lag. I did not cover my eyes either, so I am not sure what I should be looking out for. I am not trying to defend the product, because I have no inherent interest in doing so; I am simply sharing my experience.

kingofwale

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
I played around with the base rMB at the Apple store the other day. I loaded up youtube and watched 4K videos. Then I opened a bunch of apps and put them on different spaces. I then flipped between the desktops directly (ctrl + arrow, or 4 finger swipe) and also used mission control whilst a 4K video was playing. I didn't see any lag. I did not cover my eyes either, so I am not sure what I should be looking out for. I am not trying to defend the product, because I have no inherent interest in doing so; I am simply sharing my experience.
not sure if anyone actually asked you to look for any lags. However as someone who owns one and is experience lags, I simple stated that it's not an issue that can simply ignored by just "not looking for". It's real and there are tons of videos posted here that demonstrate it clearly

noobinator

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
not sure if anyone actually asked you to look for any lags. However as someone who owns one and is experience lags, I simple stated that it's not an issue that can simply ignored by just "not looking for". It's real and there are tons of videos posted here that demonstrate it clearly

I too have a rMB and experience no lag that you speak about.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none

Ok....

burgman

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2013

Cool story bro, I have been watching 1440P and 1080p Videos on Youtube no lag or jerky video. My CPU in monitor, with 6 tabs open in Safari with flash running on several plus YouTube 1440P Biosphere video running full screen, is combined system and user was 28 percent. Google IGN video lag, it's not that difficult.

kingofwale

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
Mine doesn't lag when playing IGN 1080p videos.

Edit: Video Proof: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaZ8Z8OxQtc

It's true, 1080p vids on IGN lag.
1080p vids on Youtube don't. 1440p don't lag either.
So what's the issue?

To be honest I can see it stuttering ever so slightly in that video, but if that's what people mean by lag I'm personally okay with it. My 2010 Dell XPS with an i7 lags way more so it will be an improvement to me!

I can see the lags in the video. Now whether it bothers you or not is completely personal. (Personally ghosting never bothered me when my 2012 rMBP but I know it drives some people crazy).

personally I don't like it, and would not recommend rMB to others. (Again, it's my opinion, you might have yours)

TheNotoriousMAZ

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2009
Phoenixville, PA
stash-1-511be8b30fc59.gif

matt2053

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2012
I can see the lags in the video. Now whether it bothers you or not is completely personal. (Personally ghosting never bothered me when my 2012 rMBP but I know it drives some people crazy).

personally I don't like it, and would not recommend rMB to others. (Again, it's my opinion, you might have yours)

To me, the experience is exactly the same as on my 2015 rMBP.

rahulr

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2008
North Carolina
Sorry for the clickbait title in advance but I wanted to give some input and some of my observations.

I've owned macs for the past decade of all sorts. Recently had a 2014 mbp and a 2014 air.

I realize there are exceptions and certain machines may have legitimate lag issues. But I feel the majority of the issues are because people are looking for it. They are looking for it because ever since the processor was revealed it has been a question in if it would lag at all. So naturally people are more critical and look for lag more.

I know personally that every computer I've ever owned has lagged at some point whether it was a fully loaded MBP or a netbook. They all lag at some point under certain conditions. People just didn't look for it on their machines prior to this as much because the processors were not in question as much.

I go back to my pro every now and then and it lags too under the right conditions. So in conclusion, stop looking for it and you probably won't find it.

What you're talking about here is basically the "observer expectancy effect". Essentially when you're looking for something or you're subconsciously aware of something you're more likely to see it. This is a very bad example, but when car shopping, you end up seeing the model you're looking for or recently bought more often. That doesn't mean there are more of those cars on the street than there was before you started shopping, just that you're more aware of them and your brain points them out.

This probably isn't the only answer, but it's part of it. Go in thinking the rMB is slow and laggy and it will be slow and laggy,

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.