The "real" reason why AT&T delayed MMS/Tethering..

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by FSUSem1noles, Jun 23, 2009.

1. Badandy macrumors 68040

Badandy

You're right, ATT can't possibly have two things going on at the same time in a company of thousands upon thousands of employees!

Sherlock?

2. FSUSem1noles thread starter macrumors 68000

FSUSem1noles

Extended lunch breaks I suppose..

P.S- you know that rolling eyes icon represents :Sarcasm:

3. Badandy macrumors 68040

Badandy

I know. In the way you employed sarcasm in your post you were saying "They don't have their priorities straight". Because of this, you think that streaming TV in Florida was somehow higher on their priority list than MMS'ing for iPhones, which is why I responded the way I did.

4. coolwater macrumors 6502a

coolwater

AT&T is very lucky to have the biggest competitive advantage in wireless phone industry called, 'iPhone monopoly'.

5. cpljwlusmc macrumors regular

coolwater has a point. They're the only company with the iPhone in the US. We are at their mercy. It's not like we can go to another network (really we can, but the phone doesn't work the same), and I doubt anyone is going to move to Canada for MMS.

Basically, we get it when they say we get it.

6. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

I doubt we will ever see TV on the iPhone considering AT&T can't even get basic functions for it out on time. Plus, Apple will never develop an app for it as it would compete with iTunes. Besides, with their monopoly, AT&T really doesn't have to develop anything for the iPhone. It sells itself.

7. iPhoneVic macrumors regular

iPhoneVic

This is why

They didn't approve Sling for 3G....

8. samcraig macrumors P6

Why?

Because ATT CEO, Randall Stephenson, is a poster here and gets his morning laugh reading all your posts

9. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

This is such a huge misconception.
    iTunes does not compete with live TV.
    It competes with Hulu.

10. VenusianSky macrumors 65816

VenusianSky

Tethering and MMS have been available on ATT's 3G network for years now. Oh...you're talking about tethering and MMS on the iPhone.

11. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

That story is about using MediaFLO capable phones, which have a Qualcomm mobile TV receiver chip.

In other words, only specially equipped phones can view the shows, and only in areas where the channels are broadcast (usually in big cities), and for ~ $15-30 a month.

As other people have noted, there are many subgroups within carriers. One usually has very little connection to the other. MediaFLO is very far removed from MMS/tethering.