the reason Apple didn't release a 21.5'' display..

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by animatedude, Oct 23, 2010.

1. animatedude macrumors 65816

because this might hurt the sales of the low end iMac? cos many people especially at work will start having a display and a laptop instead of an iMac ya know for mobility and all..

i really wish they can come up with one because i don't wanna have both iMac and MBP, i just need one machine for work and no i'm not gonna suck the coolness out of my set up by getting HP display or something..

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I think 21.5" would have been too expensive to be competitive if Apple wanted to keep their high profits. Most 21.5" displays are less than 200$ and I'm pretty sure that Apple would have charged 500-700$ for their 21.5". Apple uses high quality components; IPS displays, LED backlight...Plus they have USB hubs and speakers.

That's the reason why I think 24" was discontinued. Due to the release of 27", Apple could not charge 899$ for 24" anymore and lowering the price wasn't an option to Apple because that would have meant lower profits (Apple loves profit).

There isn't that much competition in 27" market and 999$ is pretty competitive price.

3. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

It might be due to the yellow screens in the iMacs.

More likely, Apple believes display buyers are professionals who want something bigger than a 21.5. They probably figure someone who wants a 21.5 does simply own an iMac.

I believe this all forms a circle with the above point regarding costs. It would cost significantly more than any other similarly offered display.

If not yellow though, I would have certainly considered it! I'm probably in the minority though.

4. animatedude thread starter macrumors 65816

really? then that sums it up..

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Yeah. I checked NewEgg and they have only 4 monitors that cost more than 200$.

Of course those displays use TN panels which are much cheaper but the price Apple would want for 21.5" would be ridiculous, you could three displays from 3rd party