The reason backing up iPhone takes forever

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by neiltc13, Jul 11, 2008.

1. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

I've tested this and narrowed it down to Super Monkey Ball. Yesterday my iPhone would take slightly longer to sync than with 1.1.4 but now that I've installed Super Monkey Ball it seems to take an age to complete the Backing Up iPhone stage of syncing in iTunes.

I didn't change anything else, I merely installed SMB. Seems this app has a major problem.

2. ballen420 macrumors 6502

Mine took 15 without anything installed, and 15 minutes with. I don't think that is the issue.

3. SMacDuff macrumors 6502

SMacDuff

SMB is not the issue. I don't have SMB and backing up still takes a long time.

4. lanmbui macrumors newbie

I have the same problem.

It seems like it is backing up the entire iphone every time it tries to backup. If you just cancel the backup, by clicking the little x, it goes on to sync your iPhone normally.

I let it run once yesterday completely in hopes that today it would just "update" the backup today. Unfortunately it didn't, it is running now and has been for about 10 minutes.

I'll update when I have found more info.

5. aforty macrumors 65816

aforty

Wrong. I don't have super monkey ball installed and it takes forever.

6. ugp macrumors 65816

ugp

I think it is taking a full 1:1 backup and why it takes so long. The 2.0 software update was a lot bigger than previous ones if I remember correctly.

7. smearedblue macrumors member

Same issue

Basically sticks at backing up for.. i don't know.. so far i've only let it take 10 minutes before canceling.. bummer..

8. Natalia81 macrumors regular

How do you choose to back up your phone? Is that different from syncing?

9. BlueKari macrumors newbie

I don't have Super Monkey Ball and I have the same problem.

Natalia, syncing and backing up are different. Backing up basically saves every single thing you have on your iPhone so if for some reason your phone needs to be reset or whatever, it can put all that information back on, it's a real long process. Syncing basically just adds new songs, apps, videos etc. to already existing stuff on your iPhone. :)