The reason behind iPad Mini

Discussion in 'iPad' started by mateo124, Oct 24, 2012.

1. mateo124 macrumors regular

I still cannot understand the point of the iPad mini. At first I thought it must be to compete with the Nexus 7 and new Kindles. However its nowhere near the same price as the Nexus 7. I know its smaller then the current iPad, but honestly its nowhere portable enough to carry around all the time. On top of it all, its running the same hardware as the iPad 2, which by my calculations, will not receive iOS 7. If the mini were to receive iOS 7, wouldn't people with the iPad 2 get upset for not getting it? I would, and knowing Apple, they would not be afraid to drop support for a device either. Just look at the iPod touch 3g and iPhone 3GS. Same hardware, just more support for one device then the other.

iPad 1: iOS3, iOS4, iOS5, end of the line
    iPad 2: iOS4, iOS5, iOS6, iOS7 (unlikely)

2. Firesign3394 macrumors regular

Apple puts the latest iOS on the products that they are currently selling. The iPhone 3GS and the iPad 1 have similar hardware but since the iPad 1 was not currently selling at the time, only iPhone 3GS received iOS 6.

3. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

What's not to understand. Steve and the rest of Apple didn't think there was a market for a 7" device and went with 10". But since other 7" have come out and done well and also I'm sure they listened to the feedback of their customers, they realized that there is a market for a smaller device and made the decision to make a smaller version. I don't think it has to compete directly with Kindle/Nexus etc... If you want a cheap smaller tablet, you can opt for one of those. But if want the full "iPad experience" in a smaller version, the iPad mini is for you.

I will be really surprised if it doesn't sell like hotcakes and maybe even outdo the 10.7" version. A year ago I would have thought that unthinkable, but the response of people to the better 7" tablets that have come out has changed my mind. Obviously Apples' as well.

4. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Tim Cook said on stage on tuesday that over 200 Million iOS devices have been updated to iOS 6 and that the team was working on making sure that as many devices can receive the newest updates, a little jab at Android but also Apple wants to continue to update as many iOS devices as possible going forward.

I am sure the iPad mini will continue to receive future support.

5. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

The point is obvious. Others are selling well in the the 7" +/- size segment, and Apple finally decided to get with the program and participate.

They'll sell boat loads of em :)

6. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

Yep its a almost pocketable / purseable device. Remember the days of the first "PDA's"? (before smart phones). What is old is kinda new again.

7. recharge23 macrumors regular

the ipad mini is the first :apple: product my wife has wanted in years. i think they're doing something right.

8. laser310 macrumors member

The reason for the mini is simple:

some people want a smaller device.

What's so complicated about that?

I don't care if the iPad2 is a better deal, it's too big!

So what if it doesn't have retina..., IT'S THE RIGHT SIZE!

I have hundreds of dollars worth of iOS apps, for my phone, some of which aren't even available in Android, so I'm not buying anything but an iOS device.