The reason I just can't convince myself to get an iPhone X

macbook123

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 11, 2006
...is the same reason I had to return the latest generation MacBook Pro: like the touchbar, the faceid stuff is a gimmicky feature I just won't use.

Like the touchbar, it's not simply an unnecessary feature I can disable and be done with, but it introdes into the functionality of an otherwise well designed device and makes it less useful.

The touchbar shortens battery life and comes at the cost of regular keys I can quickly engage to change volume or screen brightness.

The faceid multi camera system comes at the cost of valuable screen real estate, while messing up the natural proportions one is used to seeing in a display, and biting an eye sore "notch" out of the front of the phone.

As much as I love everything else about the design of the X, I truly wish they would have gone with tiny bezels like the Samsung note 8 instead of with no bezels but this oddly looking cutout which is unnecessarily large compared to a simple selfie camera, due to the complex multi IR & camera setup I will never use, neither for paranoid security nor for pathetic animojis.

End of rant.

iSayBoourns

Suspended
Sep 15, 2017
The faceid multi camera system comes at the cost of valuable screen real estate
Not really. It doesn’t take up any extra screen than what a normal top forehead bezel would. Infact you’re gaining screen real estate.
DC1A6637-A7B3-487D-8477-84EFE50A5FBC.jpeg

The line drawn represents the forehead bezel you would normally have. As you can see, the ears are extra screen that would “normally” be just a useless bezel, sitting there doing nothing.

Status bar info moves up into the ears, giving more usable space to apps (below where the forehead bezel would be)

Starfyre

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2010
Even without faceid multi camera system, you would still need room for the speaker and camera anyways, which would not have worked with the thin bezels. I think Apple did the best they could with trying to give as much screen real estate as possible (for the most part, though I think they should have pushed it out a little more to the edges)

iSayBoourns

Suspended
Sep 15, 2017
Even without faceid multi camera system, you would still need room for the speaker and camera anyways, which would not have worked with the thin bezels. I think Apple did the best they could with trying to give as much screen real estate as possible (for the most part, though I think they should have pushed it out a little more to the edges)
You need at least some bezel around the device to comfortably hold the device without having lots of false touches (happens and is mentioned many times about Samsung’s curved edge display)

Jdhommert

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2016
My big issue is the price. It's $200 more than a 8 Plus, and then Apple care is an extra $50.

So $250 more to get a X than a 8 Plus (not including I can get 5% cash back for an 8plus, but only 2 for a X)

Just dont know if its worth an extra 300 or so after tax and my cash back difference.....

Reactions: The-Real-Deal82

Juan007

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2010
You don't understand, here are the choices:

1) Touch unlock
2) Face unlock
3) Manual unlock

(1) requires HUGE real estate on the front of the phone for the sensor (see last few years of iPhones).
(2) requires tiny notch.
(3) requires nothing, but it's 10 year old iPhone 1 level tech, not acceptable.

So basically by choosing (2), Apple has freed up a HUGE amount of screen space. They could have chosen (3) and freed up even more space but then their phone would be lame.

Face ID IS THE FUTURE, and it's coming on Nov 3.

Starfyre

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2010
You need at least some bezel around the device to comfortably hold the device without having lots of false touches (happens and is mentioned many times about Samsung’s curved edge display)
Sure, but I still think they could have slimmed the other bezels down more without having that happen.

SRLMJ23

Contributor
Jul 11, 2008
Central New York
I am going for the X. I have had every iPhone ever released (except now will not get the 8+, which is essentially an updated iPhone 7+ which I own now) and I want to see how well FaceID works, and see how beautiful the OLED screen looks like as well as just the X in general.

For me it is time for something different. From the iPhone 6 to the iPhone 8 the form factor has been the same and it is just time for a change, an expensive one at that.

:apple:

Reactions: Starfyre

iSayBoourns

Suspended
Sep 15, 2017
My big issue is the price. It's $200 more than a 8 Plus, and then Apple care is an extra $50.

So $250 more to get a X than a 8 Plus (not including I can get 5% cash back for an 8plus, but only 2 for a X)

Just dont know if its worth an extra 300 or so after tax and my cash back difference.....
To some people having an OLED screen, better telephoto lens (aperture + OIS), stainless steel frame instead of aluminum, FaceID (despite all the negative people around here on it, many are also welcoming it), small device while still having a large display, Plus size battery in a barely bigger 6/7/8 footprint, front facing camera with Portrait Mode, is all worth the extra price.

danny842003

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2017
The faceid multi camera system comes at the cost of valuable screen real estate, while messing up the natural proportions one is used to seeing in a display, and biting an eye sore "notch" out of the front of the phone.
What real estate do you lose exactly? I only see gains compared to other manufacturers.

Reactions: Damian. and Diorama

SRLMJ23

Contributor
Jul 11, 2008
Central New York
To some people having an OLED screen, better telephoto lens (aperture + OIS), stainless steel frame instead of aluminum, FaceID (despite all the negative people around here on it, many are also welcoming it), small device while still having a large display, Plus size battery in a barely bigger 6/7/8 footprint, front facing camera with Portrait Mode, is all worth the extra price.
Well said, and agreed!

:apple:

akash.nu

macrumors 604
May 26, 2016
It doesn’t have plus size battery.

xaqt93

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2011
I honestly want the iPhone X. My one issue is that it is so expensive. Apple will eventually decrease the price. At least I hope they do...anyway, I have an iPhone 8 and I love it. I may get the iPhone X once it becomes more avalible, but until then, I am not going to bother to try and pre order.

akash.nu

macrumors 604
May 26, 2016
Yes it does. It’s technically bigger than what’s in the 8+ (but smaller than what’s in the 7+)

8+ = 2675mAh
X = 2716mAh
I didn’t look into the specs but why’s the battery life quoted as lower than 8+ then?

akash.nu

macrumors 604
May 26, 2016
I honestly want the iPhone X. My one issue is that it is so expensive. Apple will eventually decrease the price. At least I hope they do...anyway, I have an iPhone 8 and I love it. I may get the iPhone X once it becomes more avalible, but until then, I am not going to bother to try and pre order.
Probably will only decrease the price next year with the launch of the next gen iPhone. I’ve never seen Apple decreasing price for any previous iPhone models.

MjWoNeR

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2010
Sweden
Can’t talk about the Touchbar, but I can’t really put them in the same basket. FaceID is replacing TouchID, an integral part of iPhones. The Touchbar is more like an add on. Touchbar turns into a gimmick people can still use the laptops as before. FaceID turns into a gimmick the device itself will loose functionality it had for years.

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
The price is likely the most difficult part for a lot of consumers to choose the iPhone X. I think many are intrigued by Face ID and simply the fact it's Apples latest iPhone.

There will be a large majority who will pre-order, but they're also will be a large amount of consumers who won't pre-order or are not even aware of when the pre-order date is. So once somebody finds out the elongated ship times, that might be offputting to them when they decide to upgrade or to a different model. But ultimately the price Won't be reduced on the iPhone X until next year, aside from carrier promotions or incentives for trade in's.

danny842003

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2017
Can’t talk about the Touchbar, but I can’t really put them in the same basket. FaceID is replacing TouchID, an integral part of iPhones. The Touchbar is more like an add on. Touchbar turns into a gimmick people can still use the laptops as before. FaceID turns into a gimmick the device itself will loose functionality it had for years.
What functionality is lost with FaceID?

akash.nu

macrumors 604
May 26, 2016
Exactly why it can never turn into a gimmick.

akash.nu

macrumors 604
May 26, 2016
The price is likely the most difficult part for a lot of consumers to choose the iPhone X. I think many are intrigued by Face ID and simply the fact it's Apples latest iPhone.

There will be a large majority who will pre-order, but they're also will be a large amount of consumers who won't pre-order or are not even aware of when the pre-order date is. So once somebody finds out the elongated ship times, that might be offputting to them when they decide to upgrade or to a different model. But ultimately the price Won't be reduced on the iPhone X until next year, aside from carrier promotions or incentives for trade in's.
Most people get their phones from the carriers though. While looked at it in that sense the price will only add a few extra quid every month which most people probably won’t care about compared to all the other flagship models.

Reactions: danny842003