the recent waiting time for ordering MacBook Pro 15 on line?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Chansp1970, Jun 6, 2010.

1. Chansp1970 macrumors newbie

Did any one just order MBP on line? How long will it take? I know the online shop lists 1~3 day to ship but I also know it could be a totally different story after the order is placed.

I am thinking to order an i5 high res AG but I am worrying about how long it will take for the online/shipping process. The reason is I assume I have to replace more than one time to get an acceptable screen and I can not swap the machine at nearby Apple Stores since they only carry high res machines with an i7 CPU. I have a bad luck for the panel lottery.

The other option is to buy an i7 at the store and do the replacement on site if the screen is bad. I can use the educational discount so the price difference is $300 between i5 2.4Ghz and i7 2.66GHz. Any suggestion?

2. vbman213 macrumors 6502

Dang... I'm getting ready to order my first macbook pro. It kinda worries me that MacBook Pro customers now-a-days "assume" they will get a lemon screen. Is build quality that bad now?

3. husker2010 macrumors newbie

I placed my order a week from last Thursday, and it was here a week later (shipping to the midwest)

I did not get the antiglare, because I prefer the glossy...I've seen the two, and the glossy is a much better display.

As for the yellow panel problem, my panel is perfect, and does not have any yellow tint, or dead pixels...stupid posts on these forums have got people all worried about ordering. it seems like people have nothing better to do these days than order a macbook, then spend as much time as necessary to find a flaw in their macbook

4. diablo2112 macrumors 6502

You're so picky about screens that you figure you'll have to exchange it before you even buy? And given this predilection, you won't consider buying in-person so you can inspect prior to purchase? Seems rather odd...

If you're so picky that you think you'll be exchanging your system before you even buy it, then yes, I have a suggestion for. Don't buy the MBP. You'll never be satisfied. I've yet to see a 100% perfect machine. For the money you pay, you'll always find something to nitpick about, and it just might drive you crazy. Rather to spend considerably less $$$ on a W7 laptop, and then at least you've got a consolation when you find problems that it didn't cost $2k.

5. Chansp1970 thread starter macrumors newbie

I replaced my 2006 MBP five times to get a screen without noticeable light leak. Two of my colleagues have MBPs with yellow tint. One colleague recently got an i7 MBP with horrible light leak. I know there is no 100% perfect machine but I just want an acceptable screen, which does exist. Some users on this forum have replaced their machines and turn out they got satisfying screens. I just want to know now how long the ordering/shipping/returning/reshipping cycle is in case I get bad luck again.

I can not inspect the machine before I buy it at the store. But at least if the screen is bad I think it would be easier to swap machines on site.

6. Opstech macrumors 6502a

Opstech

I wouldn’t worry about the screen. Search the forums and pay close attention to who’s posting the issue. You’ll see it’s the same pack of posters most of the time. They do update about the issue and most of them have had excellent customer service taking care of the screen. You’ll see that it’s only a select few whom are having issues.
    Purchase and enjoy!

7. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

Just buy it :p
    Online if you're customizing, but try in store if you're just buying everything basic. :]

8. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

Buy the machine you want. If you end up having problems with the screen just have it repaired instead of exchanged. That's what I had done.

9. Rithem macrumors 6502

Rithem

I CTO'ed and it took about a week and a half to get to LA. Not sure if it matters but I ordered it through my bookstore.

10. lcseds macrumors 6502a

Wow. Buy in store and ask them to bring more than one from the back room.