The refurb store is fairly empty of laptops - updates soon?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Squonk, Apr 9, 2007.

1. Squonk macrumors 65816

Squonk

I have noticed a trend that when the refurb store has very little products available that new product releases are close at hand. As of the time of this post, the only laptops available on the refurb store are 17" PowerBooks. Based on what I've seen in the past, I'm hopeful for new laptops this week. Of course this runs contrary to hopes for Santa Rosa based laptops and some people say that Apple refreshed the refurb inventory on Wednesdays...

Discuss! :D

2. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

Good sales or less items returned?

Knowing that Apple Inc. has its greedy hands down in the Intel cookie Jar I wouldn't be surprised if Apple Inc. were the first to announce and launch Centrino Pro based notebooks but they would also need the new processors and graphic cards.

3. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Would be nice...but more likely is Apple getting ready for NAB..so new stuff next Sunday.

4. zblaxberg Guest

zblaxberg

The buyers guide is very helpful with this:

Product MacBook Pro
    Recommendation: Buy only if you need it - Approaching the end of a cycle

The macbook pro's are supposed to be updated before the macbooks and NAB seems like a possible time and place for it but I don't think Santa Rosa would be in the new laptops for at least another month or 2.

There have been 167 days since the last update and the average is 182...well 182-167=15....15 days from now is a tuesday

5. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

It's Monday....

The store should be reloaded Tomorrow morning. It is a weekend trend, been that way for months... they don't appear to restock on Sunday and often not on Monday.

now, if it doesn't reload tomorrow - that might mean something. But I bet it does!

6. vsp macrumors regular

Perhaps it's just my imagination, but the refurb store seems to be very low on laptops every Monday. I imagine they don't add new stock on the weekends, and it likely takes awhile to process new items at the beginning of the week.

Laptops move fast out of the refurb store, sometimes within hours of being listed. You may see a large supply listed there late this afternoon or Tuesday.

7. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

Yeah, and we see someone make this damn thread every Monday too. Every. Single. Week.

The refurb store has NOTHING to do with product updates! It's the REFURB STORE.

8. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Relax people. What TraceyS/FL said is true.

Trying to make a connection between the number of refurbs and new models is a stretch.

Why on earth would Apple "hold back" products (that would soon be discontinued)?

"I have a great idea Steve! Let hold back a big bunch of our (soon to be old) $950 laptops, so we can blow them out for $850 after the new version comes out! Sure we'll lose $100 on each one, but we'll make it up on volume!" :confused:

9. foltzie macrumors member

Short answer: No, the lower volume in the refurb store does not mean new models coming soon.

Long answer: The refurb store needs returned items to sell, if overall Mac sales are down BECAUSE people are anticipating new models then there are less new machines that could potentially be returned for various reasons.

Therefore lower options in the refurb store may indicate the expectation of new machines, but in no way should be construed as any sort of a garuntee.

10. Lancetx macrumors 68000

Lancetx

Thank you! That had to be said! :)

11. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

Now while I doubt Santa Rosa is coming at NAB, I wouldn't discount it. Intel has announced Centrino Pro, and Apple has seemingly managed to get a 3.0Ghz Quad part from Intel before they have really been released...

With that in mind I would say anything is possible, including Santa Rosa.

12. jng macrumors 65816

jng

If you want to look out for refurb machines, checkout http://www.dealmac.com

They put them on their website the day of, so you do not have to check apple daily. Also, you can signup for an email alert for macbooks and macbook pros since you're interested in laptops and get the notice that way. Then you won't have to check dealmac daily either ;)

13. dominicansrul93 macrumors regular

Hey I am the kid who posted the how to convince my parents to get a mac post. Here is the link in case you have not read it.
    HTML:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=294344
    So as you have read in the last post this is my chance to ask until four years (unless some random event happens). Should I wait for these updates and for leopard release? And also I want to know potential release dates because my dad might not want to wait and will rather listen to his friend who is a windows fanboy and settle for a Dell. Please I need the information quick.:)

14. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

If it's going to be four years before you can update/upgrade again, I'd say - at this particular point in time - wait until late June if you can. Everything right now is in a huge state of flux, and the potential for significant upgrades may well be worth holding your breath for another 75 days or so.

As usual, though, if you need something now, it's all good stuff currently on the shelf as we speak.

15. dominicansrul93 macrumors regular

Okay thanks. I will try to convince my dad to wait!