The relative-collective value of jailbreak and unlock

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by RobertoG, Dec 17, 2013.

1. RobertoG macrumors member

I thought I had nothing to lose, and I offered my ip4 in exchange for an ip4s

The thing is that I had a jb and unlocked ip4, requesting a non-jb, locked iPhone, one generation newer.

No interest for two weeks, then recently one offer. We traded and we both walked out happy, the other person connecting to a non-AT&T network, enjoying download-freedom, and I left out satisfied with hspa+ and a few more megahertz.

IMO it was an equal trade, what say you?

2. 617aircav Suspended

Too late now, you already traded it. What YOU think is what matters. Enjoy

3. Mrbobb macrumors 601

BIG MISTAKE mate!

Kidding, whatever, don't care.

4. viperGTS macrumors 65816

It was an unequal trade for the other person in my opinion. But what matters is if they valued the jailbreak over additional raw performance. Keep in mind the 4S may be jailbroken soon on iOS 7 anyway.

5. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

JB doesn't add much value anymore with iOS 7 in its present state; it's the unlock that adds value. If anything, people wanting JB nowadays are much smaller, probably even fewer than iOS 7 haters. I ebayed my unlocked iPhone 5 still running iOS 6 and it sold for $500, the average price for an unlocked 32 gigs black in mint condition, so those who desperately wanted iOS 6 didn't drive up the price.

6. RobertoG thread starter macrumors member

Anyone who underestimated the value of JB: what are you doing today?

7. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Subjective matter just as it has always been.

8. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Yes for personal use, but concrete value is established by what a JB iPhone goes on ebay, etc. It used to add more value when iOS was more limited/restrictive. Presently, it's the unlock that gives the biggest price boost (especially now that our $2 unlock days are over).