The release for the new Macbook Air: I was wrong, there will be two releases

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Augure, Feb 16, 2012.

  1. Augure, Feb 16, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2012

    Augure macrumors regular

    Sep 3, 2009
    So originally I wrote:
    "Two things
    1. Ivy Bridges have been delayed "until after June" for mass production.
    2. OSX Moutain Lion will be release in the late summer ie. probably late August.

    Knowing that the new line of Macbook Pro will probably be streamlined with the Macbook Air and so that they will be released together, we can bet that the next release will be for September the soonest."

    But after reading a bit more, it is true that September is way too far and people have been waiting for an update as the demand for new Macs is decreasing in this first quarter.

    Plus the critical point about this update really is the Ivy Bridge, so if the supposed "exclusivity" Apple may have on the first batch is true, it very possible that an update is imminent, maybe during the March presentation of the iPad 3.
  2. spencers macrumors 68020


    Sep 20, 2004
  3. Boe11 macrumors 6502a

    Sep 12, 2010
    Thank goodness! Now we can all stop speculating :)
  4. Kroner macrumors regular


    Jul 13, 2011
    It is never a time to stop speculating. Now we start speculating the 2013 version.

    I believe they will release the new Apple iChip Mac. Implant the chip inside your head, and you will have at any and all times your own personal computer, just by thinking of it. (This will be the new true redesign)

    The new touch technology is thought controlled devices. Wohoo!!!

    I got this all from a very trustworthy source.

    Ah, I need to sleep.
  5. Steelgrave macrumors member


    Apr 2, 2011
    Assuming the news about IB's delay is accurate (Intel has not confirmed the delay, it's still a rumor), then yea Aug/Sept seems pretty likely for all new mac's.

    Considering none of the financial news outlets have reported on any delay, I'm sticking with it being just a "rumor".
  6. Bear macrumors G3

    Jul 23, 2002
    Sol III - Terra
    Digitimes isn't the most reliable for good rumors. Also, as someone else pointed out, what if someone (Apple for example) bought out most all of the first batch scheduled to ship? That would cause the issue Digitimes reported.

    We'll see various Mac updates when they happen.
  7. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

    tom vilsack

    Nov 20, 2010
    ladner cdn
    i say mid aug to catch the back to school...

    aug 21 is a good date.....
  8. troop231 macrumors 603

    Jan 20, 2010
    Don't forget that Intel will be shipping a small supply of Ivy Bridge in April, which could very well mean that Apple bought this "small" supply for the new notebooks. :)
  9. Augure thread starter macrumors regular

    Sep 3, 2009
    There are rumors which give Apple more power than they have. Apple doesn't have the power to not only have some exclusivity but also "order a first batch" that would make Intel have some delays on mass producing.

    This could be the case but Apple, although targeting not just the student, I don't see them having a keynote in the middle of the summer BUT, well they are releasing Moutain Lion in the "late summer" so I guess for once they could have a keynote to present everything
  10. vraxtus macrumors 65816


    Aug 4, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    I barely post anymore, but I love how useless this thread is.
  11. nobackup, Feb 19, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2012

    nobackup macrumors member


    Apr 19, 2008

    taken that Apple now states ML will be released LATE Summer, we should then take it that NEW Hardware will be released to support or enable the latest features just like in the past to support it :)

    So a Aug/Sept refresh of the AIR does not seem so far fetched... :cool:

    or do should we expect it to still launch on 10.7.x and be updated again afterwards ????
  12. Stingray454 macrumors 6502a

    Sep 22, 2009
    Why would they wait for the new version of OS X?

    For example, try to remember as far back as to the dawn of time (summer 2011 :) ). New iMacs were released on May 3, and on July 20 they released OS X Lion. Before that, they had refreshed the entire MacBook lineup on february 24, less than 4 months before Lion. I don't see why they couldn't release new Airs (and macbook, imacs, minis and all other models that needs an upgrade asap), and then give us the option to buy Mountain Lion later, as they did last year. Actually, that would make them a lot more money than waiting for ML to be released and include it in the price.
  13. nobackup macrumors member


    Apr 19, 2008
    Not really as they give FREE updates if hardware is bought after a certain date prior to an update ....

    And Apple is quoting "late summer 2012" so bang goes the 20th July item :(

    As apple runs their back to school in the Mid June to late september time frame

    And bang goes the May item as here we have also the case that the CPU refresh from Intel will only come june-July-August so back to school Aug/Sept ... is the best bet for all together :)
  14. Ccrew macrumors 68020

    Feb 28, 2011
    I'd say the arrangement Apple had getting Sandy Bridge to the market before anyone else, and the official availability of the chipset flies in the face of that statement.
  15. Augure thread starter macrumors regular

    Sep 3, 2009
    Updated: there will probably be an update in March with an exclusive batch of Ivy Bridge processor and then one six month after, for the release of Moutain Lion, probably in September or October.
  16. axu539 macrumors 6502a

    Dec 31, 2010
    Apple does not time its Mac releases alongside OS X releases. If there's a redesign of the MBP line, Apple also will have the Mac and iPad share the spotlight in March. The first batch of Ivy Bridge chips will be released in April (the delay is only for dual core chips anyway), so we'll likely see new Airs/Pros around April/May like originally predicted. Those that buy a new Mac within a month of Mountain Lion's release will get a free/discounted upgrade. Everyone else will have to pay for it. No new Macs will come out at the same time as Mountain Lion.
  17. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

    ET iPhone Home

    Oct 5, 2011
    Orange County, California USA
    It's time to air out your camping gear and start camping out at Best Buy.
  18. Kissaragi macrumors 68020

    Nov 16, 2006
    I hope so. I want to trade in my ipad for an air and im getting impatient!

Share This Page