The Retina Image Retention thread ruined my life!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Spikeywan, Jan 10, 2013.

1. Spikeywan, Jan 10, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2013

Spikeywan macrumors 6502

I bought my rMBP, 2.6 GHz Quad, 16 Gb RAM, 512 Gb SSD before Christmas, and was very happy with it.

(For the layman, that's an Apple Mac Book Pro, with a display made from real retinas, 2.6 litre, 4 wheel drive, with 16 Gazillion Bytes of Radio Active Memory, and 512 Gazillion Bytes of Sheet Steel Disks.

I read the Image Retention threads, and was doing well until last night, when I gave in and tested my Mac.

I checked the manufacturer of the retinas, and it was LG. I checked for dead pixels, and found none. Then I turned the brightness up to maximum, and did the Image Retention test....

After 10 minutes, the chequerboard image switched over to a grey screen, and there it was! Image Retention! Oh my god, what am I going to do!!!?

At the same moment as I cried out in anguish, my friend looked at my screen and was puzzled.

He confirmed that my beautiful Retina display was absolutely fine, and had no image retention.

I was confused, until I looked away, and then I understood...

MY EYES HAVE IMAGE RETENTION!!!!!!

Help me, please!!! Can I get new eyes from The Apple Store? Should I take them back right away!? I don't know what to do!

:D

2. Brian Y macrumors 68040

This just sums up the majority of the image retention posts.

3. someoldguy macrumors 65816

New eyes ?? Not from Apple , you didn't get them there , the folks at the Genius Bar would know . Apple only sells i's .

4. ajanini macrumors member

ajanini

5. leman macrumors 604

If you have been staring at the checkerboard pattern for 10 minutes without blinking, I am afraid an eye replacement won't suffice. You want at least a partial brain replacement.

:p

6. A Hebrew macrumors 6502a

A Hebrew

Good topic, ask the geniuses if apple care covers your eyes.

7. Spikeywan thread starter macrumors 6502

And I got 4th degree burns from my Retina iPad!

I'm going to sue.

8. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

My MacBookPro slashed my wrist wide open on the sharp edge. I used the heat it generates to cauterize the wound but the blood damaged the logicboard and Apple wont give me a new iPad because of it.

9. Spikeywan thread starter macrumors 6502

Oh yes, I forgot about that sharp edge. I needed 42 stitches!

Still, I took a nangel grinder to it, and it's fine now...

[​IMG]

10. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

It could do with some speed holes.

11. Spikeywan thread starter macrumors 6502

True. This should solve the overheating issue...

[​IMG]

12. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Theres a dead pixel bottom right.

13. elvis0724 macrumors newbie

WOW That was incredible :D:eek:

14. walkie macrumors 6502

This post reminds me of new iPads bleeding craziness thread where someone explained he turned the lights off and got into his closet put his iPad on full brightness only to check if his had some kind of discoloration or bleeding :rolleyes:

15. Spikeywan thread starter macrumors 6502

Oh my god, you're right!!!!

The issues just keep mounting up, and yet Apple refuse to acknowledge these issues!

I'm taking it back for a refund.

16. Brettka7 macrumors regular

Sorry to hear about your eyes. Maybe you just need the retinas replaced, and not the whole eyeball?

Also, do you have the ultra-layman's terms? :scratchhead:

17. Spikeywan thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes.

It's a COM... PUT... ER. Now step away from it, and never go near one again.

How I wish my mother would take this advice.

18. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

Oh no--your rMBP has seen Castiel in his true state!!! All is lost.

19. switon, Jan 10, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2013

switon macrumors 6502a

RE: gazillion...brazillion...

(removed off-topic material)

Sorry,
    Switon

20. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

[​IMG]

21. blipmusic macrumors regular

So getting the spreadsheets/applications I have to work with every day imprinted on every virtual desktop and visible in other applications is ok when the other screen manufacturer show less/none of it? (the "less/none" is second hand info by the way, I only have my LG screen to go by first hand)

I've had my rMPB for a few months and suddenly had the silhouettes of applications I had closed showing up on my wallpaper/other applications with a vengeance last week.

I ignored the "retention test" - in fact I wasn't even aware of the problem - and happily used my computer and *bam* last week I had LibreOffice's button rows and the spreadsheet I just worked on clearly visible - contrasting parts even more so - when I changed desktops to open up another application. High contrast elements in any user interface come through after just a few minutes of use. I didn't know what was going on.

Are you honestly telling me that it's irrational to worry that this problem might or might not become worse and/or even permanent? Why shouldn't I worry? This is an expensive piece of equipment that suddenly exhibits a symptom that wasn't there yesterday.

Just because some are endlessly nitpicking doesn't mean the problem and its consequences aren't real.