Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ZacT94

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2012
Why hasn't anybody mentioned that a retina MBA would need to have a discrete GPU to render the massive amount of pixels. Therefore a retina MBA would have to be thicker to accommodate the discrete GPU, the more powerful CPU that would have to accompany it, as well as the massive battery to sustain the long battery life that Apple Macbooks are so well known for. Therefore the MBA would lose its portability, making it another MBP. Therefore a retina MBA would be absolutely pointless.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
Why hasn't anybody mentioned that a retina MBA would need to have a discrete GPU to render the massive amount of pixels. Therefore a retina MBA would have to be thicker to accommodate the discrete GPU, the more powerful CPU that would have to accompany it, as well as the massive battery to sustain the long battery life that Apple Macbooks are so well known for. Therefore the MBA would lose its portability, making it another MBP. Therefore a retina MBA would be absolutely pointless.

The Retina MacBook Pro operates on Intel graphics (the same Intel graphics in the updated MacBook Air) for normal operation - only switching to the discrete graphics when you load an app that stresses the graphics subsystem.

And Ars Technica even used an extension to disable the discrete GPU, nominally to test battery life solely on internal graphics, but they also did a little performance testing - and while there is an obvious performance hit, it wasn't so much of a performance hit that would make something unusable on the Retina that was usable on a non-Retina. (Things like games you're not going to run at full retina resolution anyway - and games that are so graphics intensive that they won't run on integrated graphics on the Retina MBP at 'normal' resolutions wouldn't run on a MBA at normal resolutions.)

dmelgar

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2005

This has been discussed on several threads before, although probably without agreement.

You may not need a discrete GPU to render the massive amount of pixels.

Its not really THAT massive. All the MBAs can already drive external displays at 2560 by 1600. The 2012 integrated GPU is already quite powerful and should be able to handle it fine for non-gaming applications. Need more than that, buy a 15" rMBP.

midtownhd

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2012
But since the resolution used in rMBP is not "standard/supported" , it takes more work to render at that resolution.

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
Do you have any proof or evidence of any sort to back up this claim?

All modern GPUs have fixed function scaling hardware that is used to efficiently scale between resolutions. A scaler either in your GPU or in your display panel is what lets you run non-native resolutions at full screen on your LCD (e.g. running 1680 x 1050 on a 1920 x 1080 panel). None of the GPUs used in the Retina Display MacBook Pro officially support fixed-function scaling of 3840 x 2400 or 3360 x 2100 to 2880 x 1800 however. Modern day GPUs are tested against 2560 x 1440 and 2560 x 1600, but not this particular 5MP resolution. Even 4K resolution support isn’t widespread among what’s available today. Rather than wait for updated hardware and/or validation, Apple took matters into its own hands and built its own GPU accelerated scaling routines for these higher resolutions. Fixed function hardware is almost always more efficient from a performance and power standpoint, which is why there’s some additional performance loss in these scaled resolution modes.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6023/the-nextgen-macbook-pro-with-retina-display-review/7

That's probably what they were talking about.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
Yes, what that is referring to is when running at resolutions/ratios other than the "recommended" one. Performance suffers when doing that on ANY of the GPU options, integrated or discrete.

But for the native resolution (and the 'recommended' double-scaling,) it's happy.

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011
Doesn't the current MBP retina run on the same Intel HD4000 graphics as the MBA when not in discreet mode? That tells me that the current HD4000 could probably support a retina screen in a macbook air with some software solutions to keep it from being slow as hell. The Haswell chips should be even better. If Apple can find a more energy efficient screen and increase the size of the battery slightly that should be enough to maintain the current battery life.

I thought a retina iPad would be impossible but they managed to do that so I have no doubt that they will have a retina MBA either on the next update or the one after that.

Yes, we all know batter life will improve with:

More efficient processors
More efficient screens
Bigger batteries

I think the OP's point is that that isn't going to happen. At least not to the extent it needs to to maintain good battery life. I'm incliened to agree, at least in the near term. Look at the iPad for example. The first one is how many years old now and has better run times than the 3rd gen.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Yes, we all know batter life will improve with:

More efficient processors
More efficient screens
Bigger batteries

I think the OP's point is that that isn't going to happen. At least not to the extent it needs to to maintain good battery life. I'm incliened to agree, at least in the near term. Look at the iPad for example. The first one is how many years old now and has better run times than the 3rd gen.

The issue with bigger batteries is where the heck is Apple going to put them? From what I gather, the MBA is already as slim as it gets and it is pretty much bursting at the seams with components. Battery tech also seems to have more or less stagnated; Apple had to resort to simply packing the new ipad and Rmbp with thicker batteries to power that high-res display, rather than some breakthrough in battery capacity.

That IGZO screen looks promising (and was purported to have been the display of choice had Apple been able to secure sufficient quantities). We will probably start seeing them in the next ipad refresh (and as production increases, see them rolled out to the other laptops).

My other concern - is it worth it? Apple computers (including the ipad) already appear to be as thin as they can get, and Apple seems to be using every trick in the book just to shave off the odd fraction of a mm here and there. I dunno, past a certain point, it's like 'What's the point?" Are people really to start throwing a hissy fit just because it is that slightly thicker than it could have been? Are you really going to go around with a pair of vernier calipers and measure each laptop you want to buy? :confused:

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Except he never said it.

Apparently this is what he actually said:

In 1989 Bill Gates delivered a recorded speech to the Computer Science Club at the University of Waterloo about microcomputers. He presented his recollections concerning the size of memory [UWBG]:

I have to say that in 1981, making those decisions, I felt like I was providing enough freedom for 10 years. That is, a move from 64k to 640k felt like something that would last a great deal of time. Well, it didn’t – it took about only 6 years before people started to see that as a real problem.

It probably seemed like a reasonable assumption at the time, but then Moore's Law kicked in. Similarly, we will all have "Retina" displays one day, and probably sooner than many people think. It didn't take long for other phone manufacturers to follow suit.

Randomoneh

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2011
Similarly, we will all have "Retina" displays one day
And then, we'll have true "Retina" displays (angular resolution over 200 pixels per degree at normal viewing distance).

Last edited:

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011
The issue with bigger batteries is where the heck is Apple going to put them? From what I gather, the MBA is already as slim as it gets and it is pretty much bursting at the seams with components. Battery tech also seems to have more or less stagnated; Apple had to resort to simply packing the new ipad and Rmbp with thicker batteries to power that high-res display, rather than some breakthrough in battery capacity.

That IGZO screen looks promising (and was purported to have been the display of choice had Apple been able to secure sufficient quantities). We will probably start seeing them in the next ipad refresh (and as production increases, see them rolled out to the other laptops).

My other concern - is it worth it? Apple computers (including the ipad) already appear to be as thin as they can get, and Apple seems to be using every trick in the book just to shave off the odd fraction of a mm here and there. I dunno, past a certain point, it's like 'What's the point?" Are people really to start throwing a hissy fit just because it is that slightly thicker than it could have been? Are you really going to go around with a pair of vernier calipers and measure each laptop you want to buy? :confused:

I agree, Apples love affair with thinness is yet another obstacle to a retina MBA. I do think it will happen, just not in 2013

clyde2801

macrumors 601
Maybe just a good quality IPS display will work on the MBA instead of TN panels.

I remember reading a recent review at Anandtech about a 13" Sony Viao SE where the guy gushed over the non retina IPS display. And he reviews laptops for a living.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
If apple does release a retina 13" Mbp, won't that obviate the need for a retina Mba? Both would be equally thin, lack an ODD, boast soldered ram and ssd, and the extra space used to address the biggest concern - battery life.

I see the 11" MBA being left alone to serve as a cheap entry-level notebook for people seeking an affordable foray into the apple ecosystem. :)

minnus

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2011
For people who say that it is simply not possible due to form factor, please refer to newest model of the Asus Zenbook - 1080p IPS screen; same weight/form factor, dGPU, and user replaceable/upgradeable SSD and RAM.

Based on this, the MBA retina WILL happen. Apple is simply dragging their feet knowing darn well people will keep buying Airs regardless. Hopefully, the Zenbook puts a flame under them.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
For people who say that it is simply not possible due to form factor, please refer to newest model of the Asus Zenbook - 1080p IPS screen; same weight/form factor, dGPU, and user replaceable/upgradeable SSD and RAM.

Based on this, the MBA retina WILL happen. Apple is simply dragging their feet knowing darn well people will keep buying Airs regardless. Hopefully, the Zenbook puts a flame under them.

Umm...the asus K93sm is a whooping 18.4" laptop! Apple already has the rmbp totop that. :confused:

mikkker007

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2012
Queensland, Australia
all "our' current thinking ..... is based upon "Specualation'
The way I look at tech is, thus... At 2012... I have wireless access to the world.
1912, we were incredulous over the Automobile.....

In 100 years, we have gone from the model T Ford to F1?

when I was a kid,I had to ride my bike to a phonebox to call my mate, now..? I can just Txt .. that was "ONLY" 20 yrs ago...

10-20 years from now? they'll be laughing their ass's off at "Retina".... that'll be like 110 film to Full HDTV today.... 1080p?.. hahaha.. that'll be So .....

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
all "our' current thinking ..... is based upon "Specualation'
The way I look at tech is, thus... At 2012... I have wireless access to the world.
1912, we were incredulous over the Automobile.....

In 100 years, we have gone from the model T Ford to F1?

when I was a kid,I had to ride my bike to a phonebox to call my mate, now..? I can just Txt .. that was "ONLY" 20 yrs ago...

10-20 years from now? they'll be laughing their ass's off at "Retina".... that'll be like 110 film to Full HDTV today.... 1080p?.. hahaha.. that'll be So .....

not really true b.c the leaps we made in 20 years will probably never happen again. 20 years from now, I don't see nearly as catastrophic of improvement

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.