Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

netdog

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 6, 2006
London
I know that Apple denied that they were going to make a smaller iPad, but what do you guys make of the supposed iPad Mini that Jimmy Lin is showing off on his blog?

There is an article about it here.

If anybody here can read and/or translate Korean, here is Jimmy's blog.

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
Im not so sure, Steve did say that to work as a tablet it should be at least 10 inches.

Plus this looks shopped, I can tell from some of the pixels and from seeing quite a few shops in my time.

netdog

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 6, 2006
London
So you think this guy Jimmy just posted a fake shot of himself holding it?

I don't have any experience peeking at pixels for photoshopping, but something about him putting it on his blog makes it seem legit. After all, if there isn't an iPad Mini coming, it seems odd that he'd lie about it in such a public way.

And yeah, I remember what SJ said. That throws me too, though he did come out with an MBA mini, and he was fully against such a concept at the original MBA launch.

Pressure

macrumors 603
May 30, 2006
Denmark
I personally like how the photo frame on the wall isn't square around his hand.

Not to mention how awkward he holds the two devices.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Just take a moment to step aside from reality, as we are assuming this is fake.

If, just IF Apple produced an iPad exactly as shown here in this photo for say $100 less than the current size one.

Would forums opinion be, Big Mistake, they should not have make it. No one will want or buy it.

Or

Wow, great, this will be easier for me to carry around, and I do a lot of reading on my iPad and this will be so much lighter and easier to hold for long periods?
I use my iPad on a move a lot and to be honest the current model is a bit large for on the go use.

netdog

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 6, 2006
London
I wouldn't want a smaller one personally, but then again I love the MBA but don't like the new mini-MBA, but the market clearly doesn't share my opinion.

My guess is that a mini-iPad would sell gazillions, and for many of the reasons that you mentioned ... and more.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
As 9to5 Mac asks...

Now, we’re not saying we disbelieve him, though we don’t, but we’d have to ask how a Taiwanese pop star would get his hands on the device, even if he is also a racing driver and founder of a tech firm.

... good question.

If there were such a thing, do you really think he would have one?

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
I wouldn't want a smaller one personally, but then again I love the MBA but don't like the new mini-MBA, but the market clearly doesn't share my opinion.

My guess is that a mini-iPad would sell gazillions, and for many of the reasons that you mentioned ... and more.

I agree with you.

Just for the record. I would like to see two other sized models, and this is my own personal view, I realise everyone has their own views.

I would like to see, and think it would be a good idea for Apple to produce a cheaper smaller version as shown in the photo for people who are more On The Move and want something lighter, and easier to store away quickly.

Also I would like to see a larger model, let's say 13" screen designed mostly for home use and those who don't really want to use it on the go.
More suitable for watching movies on in a more relaxed way and also a more engrossing gaming experience on a large screen.

Personally myself as I don't use it as a mobile device, just a home device I'd jump to buy a 13" larger screen model version.

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
So you think this guy Jimmy just posted a fake shot of himself holding it?

I don't have any experience peeking at pixels for photoshopping, but something about him putting it on his blog makes it seem legit. After all, if there isn't an iPad Mini coming, it seems odd that he'd lie about it in such a public way.

And yeah, I remember what SJ said. That throws me too, though he did come out with an MBA mini, and he was fully against such a concept at the original MBA launch.

It's the way the iPad Mini is positioned in his hand, look closely, it just doesn't look normal or natural.

sapporobaby

macrumors 68000
Just take a moment to step aside from reality, as we are assuming this is fake.

If, just IF Apple produced an iPad exactly as shown here in this photo for say $100 less than the current size one.

Would forums opinion be, Big Mistake, they should not have make it. No one will want or buy it.

Or

Wow, great, this will be easier for me to carry around, and I do a lot of reading on my iPad and this will be so much lighter and easier to hold for long periods?
I use my iPad on a move a lot and to be honest the current model is a bit large for on the go use.

I guess you haven't read the discussions about how the smaller size would not be very good for reading. The smaller tablets on the market are not the right size for working. To be honest in my opinion (this is how it should actually be phrased) the current iPad is too large, however 3 plus million people don't seem to have a problem with using it on the go. The US military is issuing them to class members with the course curriculum preloaded. I guess those strong, tough soldiers, Marines, Air Force personnel, and Naval officers don't count as well.

Saladinos

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
Umm... Wasn't the iPhone the iPad mini?

I don't see a Market between those two unless it is to make the device lighter.

However, I don't see Apple dominating the Market with just one device, so they should probably make multiple versions just to gain market-share. Even if it makes little sense, people want variety. Look at the variety in Apple's old iPod line.

sapporobaby

macrumors 68000
Umm... Wasn't the iPhone the iPad mini?

I don't see a Market between those two unless it is to make the device lighter.

However, I don't see Apple dominating the Market with just one device, so they should probably make multiple versions just to gain market-share. Even if it makes little sense, people want variety. Look at the variety in Apple's old iPod line.

Good point but you have to remember, Apple is not after world dominance or a monstrous market share as too large a market share can become unmanageable. Look at Microsoft or Nokia. They were the largest but where are they now. Apple is making money hand over fist with its current market share. Why create more headaches for themselves?

poloponies

Suspended
May 3, 2010
This seems most likely to me. Still I do think Apple is going to do an about-face at some point and release a 7" iPad, just as they released a sub-13" MBA.

They very well might, but not now. Jobs made the comment on an earnings call. You can't really pull that kind of crap as CEO and then say "I had my fingers crossed." It's entirely possible that as the technology progresses a 7" will become feasible for Apple, but not now.

sapporobaby

macrumors 68000
Not sure why the market wouldn't embrace a 7" for reading.

One advantage I have working for the govt is that I get to trial new devices and software, etc.... After playing with the Samsung Tablet I can say that in my opinion it is too small and poses no real advantage in portability over the iPad in daily usage. 7 inches and smaller begins to approach the iPod/iPhone in size. Can't see Apple remotely doing anything to cannibalise either of these two devices.

jjayasekar

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2010
I don't know about you guys but that doesn't even look like a 7 inch tablet to me... Looks a bit smaller.... And I'm going to agree that this is most likely a Chinese knockoff...

9.7>7... Just sayin

MsMerryMac

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2010
They already have an iPad mini...it's called the Touch. I really don't understand why people are so hot for a 7 inch iPad. I've checked out the "competition" and the could not imagine going to a screen that small for what I use the iPad for.

JoJoCal19

macrumors 65816
Jun 25, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
If Apple did release an 7" iPad early next year with at least the same specs as the current iPad, and started it at around $299 they would in effect destroy any chance of any other tablet competitor gaining traction and would close the market before any other competitors really get a chance to compete. At that price point no other manufacturer could create something as polished as a 7" iPad. And trust me, Apple has the economies of scale and the profit margins from their other products to make it happen if they so wish.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.