The Revival of Commodore

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by gkarris, Apr 8, 2011.

1. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Got this link from another forum member!

Keyboard PC's! Running LINUX and a Commodore Emulator!

The Amiga's are VERY STYLISH!

Oooh, I feel tingly....

(want to actually get an Amiga to use as a PC, or a Hackintosh - LOL...)

http://www.commodoreusa.net/

2. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Too bad it is using an Atom CPU. They could have put a gaming laptop motherboard in their with the mobile quad core i7. Also they should have brought out an Amiga OS 5:cool:.

3. gkarris thread starter macrumors 604

gkarris

I think your talking Power Supply and Heat Dissipation for the Keyboard Computers....

The cases for the Amiga are very stylish - maybe upgrade the fan/PS for a more powerful MB?

4. Joshuarocks macrumors 6502

Joshuarocks

Good to see a revival of Commodore.. would love to see a revival of TI.

5. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

They've been selling modern "Commodore" systems for a while now. I like them, but the price is just a little too high for me right now. I've got to wonder how long these will last as they don't exactly advertise and its really more of a niche market product than anything.

6. gkarris thread starter macrumors 604

gkarris

^^^ Looks like they now own the name and trademark - so maybe a long time if they keep their costs low...

(work out of their garage - like Jobs and Woz ;) )

7. Joshuarocks macrumors 6502

Joshuarocks

TI-99/4A was better than the Commodore 64, though.

8. AppleMacDudeG4 macrumors member

The "New" Commodore 64

I really like the look of the classic Commodore 64 case with the new internals of a more modern PC. The fact that it comes with a C64 emulator is a nice touch. I hope it does well for them although I get a sense that this is a niche product and not a mass market success.

I would love to see something similar done with an Atari 800XL since that was the first computer that I ever owned. Do not know if it will ever happen but I can dream :)

9. Joshuarocks macrumors 6502

Joshuarocks

Who would want a crappy commodore when the TI-99 rocked back then!!! Most of the commodore and classic computing has long been gone, but the TI still lives and there are some nice things being done for that machine, far more than a commodore or trash 80.

TI all the way!

10. 4JNA macrumors 68000

4JNA

load, 8, 1

TI total: A total of 2.8 million units were shipped before the TI-99/4A was discontinued in March 1984

C total: During the Commodore 64's lifetime (between 1982 and 1993), total sales exceeded 22 million units. According to the Guinness Book of World Records, the Commodore 64 remains the best selling single computer model of all time.

wiki, it would seem, says you picked the wrong system... had both, loved both, wish the new system had an input for my 'Dataset' tape drive as i still have a BAB (big ass box) full of programs on cassette. :eek:

yes, i'm old. :)

11. InuNacho macrumors 65816

InuNacho

Ehh I'll just put Morph OS onto my Powermac G4 and call it a day.

12. Sodner macrumors 68020

Sodner

Wow the return of Commodore. What a blast from the past. I still have my old VIC 20 in it's original box! :D

13. gkarris, Apr 19, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2011

gkarris thread starter macrumors 604

gkarris

Did you have the original Dataset with "rounded-top"? (LOL...)

Awesome!

A co-worker in the early 90's gave me his in complete box that he had gotten at a garage sale back in the late 80's...

14. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

15. Synthion macrumors regular

ATTENTION ATTENTION ATTENTION

It seems Commodore USA is actually developing an Amiga-based, fully modern, and fully windows-compatible Commodore OS equipped with low-level windows emulation (think WINE), and a modern and advanced GUI.

This could be interesting...

16. Tonepoet macrumors regular

If you look at their site, you would see that they're selling just the case too, which is the real heart of this project. Therefore you could build it with whatever you want inside so long as you had an appropriate mini itx motherboard. If you look on Newegg there are a small handful of of 1155 socket boards that would fit.

Also if this thing came out just before the Macbook Pro did, I'd be using that right now instead with my HDTV as a monitor. Maybe even try to salvage my iMac's screen to convert it into a 24" monster laptop. :D But now's not the time. Maybe next year when Intel officially supports USB 3.0 they'll update the case and I'll sell my laptop. Only problem would be that I'd be stuck without Mac OSX, which would be a bit of a loss. Maybe I'd have Stereo Mix though...

Such a shame that I don't have the money now at any rate. I can really respect a microswitch keyboard and it'd be such a space saver too.

17. Dewroo macrumors regular

Dewroo

I am honestly looking forward to their release of the new Commodore OS.
    If it's original (Not based on Linux or any open source code) i will be very impressed with it.

If it's not, i'll just appreciate the form factor and design of the computer.

18. stroked Suspended

stroked

I hope it is their new OS is Unix based, to really give Apple more competition.

19. MacHamster68, Apr 27, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2011

MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

reminds me on the good old days
    just powered up my sx64 to play a bit asteroids

..and dont underestimate these little atoms and the nvidia ion it is certainly more powerful with that setup then a original VC64 i think about ordering one just now :D

i wish apple would build a 1984 Macintosh with modern internals too ..there are certainly people out there who would buy one i guess ..or would i be the only one , maybe as a limited series in 2014 to commemorate the 30th birthday of the Macintosh :confused:
    hello apple price does not matter on a limited series ..maybe limited to a production of 68000 sounds great

20. InuNacho macrumors 65816

InuNacho

I support this noble cause.

21. gkarris thread starter macrumors 604

gkarris

I actually envisioned a 30th Anniversary Macintosh as a 13" iMac with wireless keyboard and mouse - limited edition with a price of $999 (same price as when the Classic was released).

They'd be able to just use MacBook parts for it. "Signed" in the back by Woz and Jobs and who ever else?

Now that would be cool.

22. firewood macrumors 604

If they allowed it (ROMS and downloading classic Mac applications), it would be easy to put a 1984 Mac emulator into an iPad app, with both display real estate and CPU speed to spare.

23. cocacolakid macrumors 65816

cocacolakid

There's a neat Mac System 7 "emulator" on this website:

http://myoldmac.net/webse-e.htm

Click on "Test Drive A Macintosh."