Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Cancelled
Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Mac OS X Server 1.x

Last one of these for now! This is certainly one of the more interesting operating systems that can be run on an older PowerPC Mac given that it is in many ways an early beta of what became the Mac OS X that we know today, yet it was also released and sold as a retail product.

The "Rhapsody" codename also refers to the preceding beta builds (Developer Release 1 and 2) which were similar to the released Mac OS X Server 1.x versions, although they were made available for Intel as well as PowerPC hardware whereas the retail versions were PowerPC-only (though we now know that all Mac OS X versions prior to Tiger exist(ed) internally at Apple for Intel).

http://rhapsodyos.org has a large amount of information about Rhapsody/Mac OS X Server 1.x and the software that is compatible with it, so I haven't included sections here for compatible software given that it is already comprehensively covered there.

Supported hardware:
  • Power Mac G3 (Desktop, Mini Tower, All-in-One, Blue & White) - Mac OS X Server 1.0, 1.2, 1.2v3
  • Power Mac G4 (Yikes, Sawtooth) - Mac OS X Server 1.2, 1.2v3
  • Power Mac G4 (Gigabit, Cube) - Mac OS X Server 1.2v3

Compatible hardware not officially supported by Apple:
  • PowerBook G3 (Kanga to Lombard)
  • PowerBook 2400/3400
  • iBook G3 Clamshell (Non FW models)
  • PowerMac 7300 7600 8500 8600 9500 9600
  • iMac G3 (Tray loading & PowerMac2,1 models)

Notes on compatibility:

• Although never supported by Apple, Mac OS X Server 1.x will also run on contemporary iBook G3 and PowerBook G3 computers when the option in the installer to allow installation on unsupported computers is enabled.
  • Mac OS X Server 1.x will only use one processor on a dual-processor Mac.
  • Blue Box (aka Classic) does not run on 603 CPU equipped Macs.
  • PowerBook G3 Lombard is limited to 256 colours.

Minimum RAM:
  • 64 MB (unofficially runs on 32 MB)

Minimum Hard Drive Space / Partition Size:
  • 1 GB

Released versions:

• Mac OS X Server 1.0 (some retail CDs were misprinted as 1.1, these also contain 1.0 - Apple then skipped to version 1.2 to avoid confusion)
  • Mac OS X Server 1.2
  • Mac OS X Server 1.2v3

Release dates:

• March 16, 1999 (Mac OS X Server 1.0)
  • January 14, 2000 (Mac OS X Server 1.2)
  • October 27, 2000 (Mac OS X Server 1.2v3)

Apple Software Updates for Server 1.0 (Rhapsody 5.3):

Screenshot (Mac OS X Server 1.2v3 running on a Power Mac G4 "Gigabit Ethernet"):

Server 1.2v3.png

The original retail package for Mac OS X Server 1.0:

20180909_003855.jpg

20180909_003809.jpg

For comparison, here is Rhapsody Developer Release 2 for Intel, running virtualized on a Core i7-8700K PC - this was the last Intel build that anyone outside of Apple had access to until Mac OS X Tiger 10.4.1 sipped with the Intel "Developer Transition Kit" systems:

Intel.png

And Developer Release 1, which being older, has more of a NeXT-like feel to it:

Intel DR1.png

This is a WikiPost. Please contribute by editing with more information.

Last edited:

z970

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2017
Great post.

Thanks, tdb. You're doing us all a big favor by preserving history for the knowledge of future generations.

(Now I sound like the WayBack Machine...)

Last edited:

LightBulbFun

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2013
London UK
I added a few more Mac models OS X Server 1.x will run on :)

(also adjusted the minimum RAM since I know it runs just fine on my PowerBook 3400c which is equipped with only 32MB of RAM)

also supposedly Blue box wont run on a 603xx equipped mac however iv not been able to properly verify this myself (on my 3400c it Kernel panics the machine IIRC, but im not sure if thats just because I only have 32MB of RAM or such)

Reactions: AphoticD

nglevin

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2018
I believe the developer SDK for this version of Mac OS X was the WebObjects 4.5.x DVD. While we're still on the front page. :)

It functions just like the NeXTSTEP/OPENSTEP SDK, original generation ProjectBuilder and everything.

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
Added links to 5.4 and 5.5 updates to be applied to 5.3.
Added a hint that the Lombard is limited to 256 colours.

Last edited:

galgot

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2015
This is one of my fav old system :) So weird.
Played a lot with that one. Even have two French boxes, a Server 1.0 and a 1.2.
photo.JPG
Here is a Wallstreet on 1.2 connected via SSH/X-window to my R-Pi and running Dillo browser.
Richard-Alpert-110918.jpg
Ok enough bragging. Appart from the mandatory rhapsodyos.com site, here some few other links that can help playing this old Rhapsody:
http://www.nextcomputers.org/forums/viewforum.php?f=23&sid=9dc68e3b2178038107110f342e2614ce
The Rhapsody subforum of NeXT Computer forum site, very helpful, specially these following thread for installing and compiling things like ssh, lynx, ncurse… :
http://www.nextcomputers.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3807
http://www.nextcomputers.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3356

Here is also a mirror of a compilation of Rhapsody softwares. There you can find thing like maX, a X11 server, some pre-compiled unix softs, and other stuff.
http://nextftp.onionmixer.net/NeXT_FtpCollection/next.68k.org/otto/html/pub/MacOSX-Server/index.html

Note, I seem to remember there was a problem with ethernet when installed on a G3 Kanga, depending on the ethernet card in the Kanga, there was 2 sort and one would just not work with rhapsody. But I don’t have a Kanga with Rhapsody installed anymore, that was sometime ago.

LightBulbFun

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2013
London UK
This is one of my fav old system :) So weird.
Played a lot with that one. Even have two French boxes, a Server 1.0 and a 1.2.
View attachment 780618
Here is a Wallstreet on 1.2 connected via SSH/X-window to my R-Pi and running Dillo browser.
View attachment 780619
Ok enough bragging. Appart from the mandatory rhapsodyos.com site, here some few other links that can help playing this old Rhapsody:
http://www.nextcomputers.org/forums/viewforum.php?f=23&sid=9dc68e3b2178038107110f342e2614ce
The Rhapsody subforum of NeXT Computer forum site, very helpful, specially these following thread for installing and compiling things like ssh, lynx, ncurse… :
http://www.nextcomputers.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3807
http://www.nextcomputers.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3356

Here is also a mirror of a compilation of Rhapsody softwares. There you can find thing like maX, a X11 server, some pre-compiled unix softs, and other stuff.
http://nextftp.onionmixer.net/NeXT_FtpCollection/next.68k.org/otto/html/pub/MacOSX-Server/index.html

Note, I seem to remember there was a problem with ethernet when installed on a G3 Kanga, depending on the ethernet card in the Kanga, there was 2 sort and one would just not work with rhapsody. But I don’t have a Kanga with Rhapsody installed anymore, that was sometime ago.

the Kanga thing you mention also effects PowerBook 3400c models

and in-fact affects all versions of Mac OS X running on Kanga/3400 hardware not just Server 1.x

and specifically its 3400/Kangas with the Ethernet ONLY card installed that have non functional ethernet in OS X the ones with Ethernet/Modem Combo cards work fine. annoyingly both my Kanga and my 2 3400 PBs have the ethernet only card so I have never been able to network one in OS X Server 1.2v3

(also if ya wanna talk about bragging I got OS X Server 1.2v3 booting on a Pismo :D https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...enshots-powerpc.1947650/page-18#post-26054333 )

galgot

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2015
Ah , thanks for this clarification.

Edit: I did saw that thread with your Rhapsody running Pismo before , was in awe.

Last edited:
Reactions: LightBulbFun

alex_free

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2020
Mac OS X Server 1.x

Last one of these for now! This is certainly one of the more interesting operating systems that can be run on an older PowerPC Mac given that it is in many ways an early beta of what became the Mac OS X that we know today, yet it was also released and sold as a retail product.

The "Rhapsody" codename also refers to the preceding beta builds (Developer Release 1 and 2) which were similar to the released Mac OS X Server 1.x versions, although they were made available for Intel as well as PowerPC hardware whereas the retail versions were PowerPC-only (though we now know that all Mac OS X versions prior to Tiger exist(ed) internally at Apple for Intel).

http://rhapsodyos.org has a large amount of information about Rhapsody/Mac OS X Server 1.x and the software that is compatible with it, so I haven't included sections here for compatible software given that it is already comprehensively covered there.

Supported hardware:
  • Power Mac G3 (Desktop, Mini Tower, All-in-One, Blue & White) - Mac OS X Server 1.0, 1.2, 1.2v3
  • Power Mac G4 (Yikes, Sawtooth) - Mac OS X Server 1.2, 1.2v3
  • Power Mac G4 (Gigabit, Cube) - Mac OS X Server 1.2v3

Compatible hardware not officially supported by Apple:
  • PowerBook G3 (Kanga to Lombard)
  • PowerBook 2400/3400
  • iBook G3 Clamshell (Non FW models)
  • PowerMac 7300 7600 8500 8600 9500 9600
  • iMac G3 (Tray loading & PowerMac2,1 models)

Notes on compatibility:
  • Although never supported by Apple, Mac OS X Server 1.x will also run on contemporary iBook G3 and PowerBook G3 computers when the option in the installer to allow installation on unsupported computers is enabled.
  • Mac OS X Server 1.x will only use one processor on a dual-processor Mac.
  • Blue Box (aka Classic) does not run on 603 CPU equipped Macs.
  • PowerBook G3 Lombard is limited to 256 colours.

Minimum RAM:
  • 64 MB (unofficially runs on 32 MB)

Minimum Hard Drive Space / Partition Size:
  • 1 GB

Released versions:
  • Mac OS X Server 1.0 (some retail CDs were misprinted as 1.1, these also contain 1.0 - Apple then skipped to version 1.2 to avoid confusion)
  • Mac OS X Server 1.2
  • Mac OS X Server 1.2v3

Release dates:
  • March 16, 1999 (Mac OS X Server 1.0)
  • January 14, 2000 (Mac OS X Server 1.2)
  • October 27, 2000 (Mac OS X Server 1.2v3)

Apple Software Updates for Server 1.0 (Rhapsody 5.3):

Screenshot (Mac OS X Server 1.2v3 running on a Power Mac G4 "Gigabit Ethernet"):

View attachment 780340

The original retail package for Mac OS X Server 1.0:

View attachment 780339

View attachment 780338

For comparison, here is Rhapsody Developer Release 2 for Intel, running virtualized on a Core i7-8700K PC - this was the last Intel build that anyone outside of Apple had access to until Mac OS X Tiger 10.4.1 sipped with the Intel "Developer Transition Kit" systems:

View attachment 780347

And Developer Release 1, which being older, has more of a NeXT-like feel to it:

View attachment 780354

This is a WikiPost. Please contribute by editing with more information.

Can confirm Server 1.2 works perfectly on my original iBook G3 300MHZ clamshell. It’s actually great I can use 8.6 from within it as 8.6 is not officially supported on my iBook.

Mine is one of the last original non FireWire models made going off of serial number. Booting into Mac OS 8.6 with the original iBook CD will crash it. Weirdly enough, I have gotten a pre installed OS to boot maybe twice out of 20 total attempts. However it did crash about half an hour later on both times. The second time it took down the whole OS install rendering the system unbootable.

Ive heard that even if you have the original early compatible iBook, if you install Jaguar or the newest firmware manually it will result in the same behavior. For these iBooks, 9.0 is the lowest your going to get (at least reliably).

Last edited:

AnonMac50

macrumors 68000
Mar 24, 2010
Can confirm Server 1.2 works perfectly on my original iBook G3 300MHZ clamshell. It’s actually great I can use 8.6 from within it as 8.6 is not officially supported on my iBook.

Mine is one of the last original non FireWire models made going off of serial number. Booting into Mac OS 8.6 with the original iBook CD will crash it. Weirdly enough, I have gotten a pre installed OS to boot maybe twice out of 20 total attempts. However it did crash about half an hour later on both times. The second time it took down the whole OS install rendering the system unbootable.

Ive heard that even if you have the original early compatible iBook, if you install Jaguar or the newest firmware manually it will result in the same behavior. For these iBooks, 9.0 is the lowest your going to get (at least reliably).
That’s good to know. I just purchased an original non-FW iBook and am waiting for it to be delivered. I intend to run Server on it. I haven’t managed to get it running on my 867 TiBook or my Late 2001 iBook G3, but I did get it running on my 9600/200. Considering this has currently better processor and more RAM I think it should run it better, that is, until I spec up my 9600 (already have the parts, just haven’t been able to fit them in yet).

Reactions: RogerWilco6502

AnonMac50

macrumors 68000
Mar 24, 2010
Alas, Server 1.x is extremely picky with regards to hardware support.
Yeah, not surprising. I’d thought about modifying OF settings to get it to work, but I am not well versed in OF and I’d always wanted a clamshell G3 anyway, so I put that idea to rest.

Only thing is it’s the blueberry model, and I would have preferred the tangerine model. ?

Reactions: RogerWilco6502

alex_free

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2020
Haha yeah indeed. Welp, a blueberry model is still a clamshell G3, no complaints there.

Will update here once I get the machine and get Server up and running on it.

Keep in mind sound and USB do not work, and airport was never supported in server.

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
Only thing is it’s the blueberry model, and I would have preferred the tangerine model. ?
I have two tangerines and never managed to get Rhapsody on either. It stubbornly refused to install. I think it only installs on the blue ones.

Reactions: alex_free

alex_free

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2020
I have two tangerines and never managed to get Rhapsody on either. It stubbornly refused to install. I think it only installs on the blue ones.

You set it to allow installation on unsupported models right? What goes wrong? Mine is also a Blueberry but I don’t know why that would matter.

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
You set it to allow installation on unsupported models right? What goes wrong? Mine is also a Blueberry but I don’t know why that would matter.
Yes. I've tried all the versions that they should support but Rhapsody still seems to be orangephobic. I think it is just spite at this stage.

Macbookprodude

Suspended
Jan 1, 2018
I haven’t tried it. I have Rhapsody Or Mac OS X server v1.2v3 which was the last version - new in the box.
[automerge]1588905971[/automerge]
The only challenge might be is I believe I remember him mentioning that he has a G4 card in his Pismo. Given Rhapsody's pickiness, do you think that might cause issues?

Hi, it’s a G4 550 card.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.