The right Firewire cable?! Lost!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by forcefieldkid, Jan 20, 2010.

  1. forcefieldkid macrumors 6502

    Jan 20, 2010
    Right now I have a G5 and am about to buy a macbook, I've looked up how to transfer my iTunes collection from the G5 to the mb and it seems that migration assistant will help during setup and that all I'll need is a Firewire cable to connect the two machines.

    So off I went to Amazon to add a Firewire cable to my order, but now I'm looking at loads of different types and sizes (?) and need some help to get the right one to connect these two.

    Any help, much appreciated :)
  2. miles01110 macrumors Core


    Jul 24, 2006
    The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
  3. forcefieldkid thread starter macrumors 6502

    Jan 20, 2010
    What are the other alternatives for this? I have over 60GB on itunes so doing it through CD's is pretty much out of the question.
  4. forcefieldkid thread starter macrumors 6502

    Jan 20, 2010
    I'd rather not add extra cost to it if it can be avoided, on a small budget with this. Would they link together through an ethernet cable?
  5. ftaok macrumors 603


    Jan 23, 2002
    East Coast
    Just to point out, the OP never said he was buying a new Macbook ... and it's unclear if he really meant Macbook Pro.

    There are only two Macbook/Pro models that do not have Firewire. The 13" aluminum Macbook and the current 13" poly-unibody Macbook. All other Macbook/Pro's have either FW400 or FW800.

    Not sure what you intend to buy, but if you do buy a 'book with Firewire, you can definitely network via FW or use Target Disk Mode. The type of cable you need depends on whether you have FW400 or FW800 ports. FW400 uses 6-pin and FW800 uses 9-pin.
  6. forcefieldkid thread starter macrumors 6502

    Jan 20, 2010
    Thanks for the reply. No it certainly wont be a new model, I have a list of 5/6 models that I'm looking at for decent used prices. Thanks for the Firewire info, will check the specs of the models listed and go from there. Kind of.. 'panic posted' if you like as I was trying to do a few things at once!
  7. mooblie macrumors 6502


    Apr 23, 2009
    The Highlands, Scotland
    Ethernet. Either (a) via a hub/router - i.e. your existing home network, or (b) get any basic Ethernet patch cable between the two Macs - RJ45 plugs at both ends (need not be a cross-over cable - all Macs have auto-polarity-sensing these days).
  8. BlueRevolution macrumors 603


    Jul 26, 2004
    Montreal, QC
    In all fairness, that's not unique to Macs. It has been many years since I've seen a computer, Mac or PC, which required a crossover cable.

Share This Page