All iPads the right iPad for me

Discussion in 'iPad' started by zoran, Mar 7, 2015.

1. zoran macrumors 68030

I want to purchase an iPad but i dont know which. So here is how im gonna b using it. Won't be doing much of photo or video shooting. Wifi is more important than the cellular access. Im certainly gonna be using Skype and internet browsers. Im fond of the compact ability the iPad mini offers.

What im not aware of is, in what way is the iPad better than the iPadMini? What does it offer that might be more important?

Is it possible to order any of the two without the fingerprint sensor?

2. TechZeke macrumors 68020

TechZeke

From the limited information in your post, iPad mini 2 is clearly the best. Lacks the finger sensor of the mini 3, but features the same screen and processor. Best bang for the buck in the iPad line. I'd steer clear of the iPad mini 1 and 3.

3. Closingracer macrumors 68000

the right iPad for me

Personally I'll take the cellular model even if you never plan on using it. Plans are never a contract and are month to month so should you ever need cellular you have it . Who knows maybe you'll take a trip and wifi is in a lot of places. Also wifi versions don't have GPS and the cellular ones do and that's enough of a reason

As far as the fingerprint sensor why not ? For the mini I would say don't bother since that's the only upgrade for the mini 3 but for the full sized I wouldn't not get the Air 2 because of it . You never need to use it . The air 2 has better cpu and more RAM.

4. zoran thread starter macrumors 68030

What more do i get if i buy the Mini3 compared to the Mini2? And what about the standard iPad, does that have something to offer?

5. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

Larger screen for web browser, movies, etc. But functionally iPad Air is same as iPad mini.

6. zoran thread starter macrumors 68030

Same hardware specs too?

7. adam9c1 macrumors 65816

adam9c1

iPad mini 2 = iPad mini 3 (except for lack of gold color and Touch ID, and different size storage now)

iPad mini 2 = iPad Air 1 (hardware wise)

iPad mini 1 = iPad 2 (hardware wise, except mini 1 has the new style charge sync).

8. zoran thread starter macrumors 68030

In the iPadMini3 is it possible to disable the touchID?

9. adam9c1 macrumors 65816

adam9c1

Well, it's possible you do not configure it in the first place. It needs to scan your fingerprints.

10. zoran thread starter macrumors 68030

I do not like the idea of giving away to some company (even Apple) something very personal and important (my fingerprint) that might be used in the future as some form of certification for my bank account or who know what else!
    So if i don't configure it, can it used used as a regular button?

11. Mivo macrumors regular

Mivo

If you plan on doing a lot of web browsing, using multiple tabs often, the iPad Air 2 will give you the best performance (fewest page reloads) of the entire iPad line. It's the only model currently with 2 GB RAM.

12. zoran thread starter macrumors 68030

Battery is the same? How much Ram does Mini3 have?

13. adam9c1 macrumors 65816

adam9c1

Yes, if you don't config it it's not activated, button does not have the feature on.

14. zoran thread starter macrumors 68030

Trying to see if the 32GB will suit me better or not than the 64, so i was thinking to find out how much space is needed for:
    1. an hour of high res video
    2. a photo with full res
    taken by the iPad Mini camera

15. Mliii macrumors 65816

Mliii

Your biometric fingerprint data is locked away in the chipset and is not made available to servers, iCloud, or anywhere else.
    But you don't need to use it if you choose not to enable it.

16. zoran thread starter macrumors 68030

1. How do i know for certain that its not available anywere else?
    2. If i want to have two people using the iPadMini how can it be done? Can i add a second biometric fingerprint?

17. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

iPad air 2 is more immersive to me. I think the experience is better. However, if you have to carry it everywhere, you might want something smaller.

18. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

Really? I have owned iPads since 2011 with the original one and never felt the need to use cellular data. At least, not enough to make the $130 extra worth it. If I need cellular data I can just tether my iPhone. For GPS I use my iPhone but someone out there might use it.

1. I'm guessing you don't have iCloud enabled which would be proof enough, and secondly your figure print is encrypted. It is so heavily encrypted in fact that iTunes can't even back it up. Some one said that iTunes will back it up if you have Encrypted backups on but it never worked for me.

2. Yes you can under Settings>Touch ID & Passcode. Plus, you still need to have passcode enabled so as long as they have that they can still get in.

Personally, it wouldn't be worth it to me to spend the extra $100 going from the mini 2 to the mini 3. It's basically the same iPad but with more storage options currently, a gold option, and Touch ID. If your going to spend that much, might as well get the Air 2. It has a generation newer processor that is faster, has three cores (versus two), and double the RAM (1GB in the mini vs 2GB in the Air 2). Plus it has the bigger screen that I prefer (especially since I have a 6 Plus) and Touch ID as an added bonus!

19. Mliii, Mar 9, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2015

Mliii macrumors 65816

Mliii

If you do a bit of research, you can see how Apple has implemented it's touch ID and how the chip itself holds the biometric data without sharing it anywhere else. Google 'How Apple's Touch ID works', or something similar.
    And yes, you can add a second person's fingerprint. You can set up 5 different fingerprints and they don't have to be the same person's prints.
    As I mentioned, you can also choose not to activate fingerprint ID and simply use a passcode - which you will need to do anyway as a back up to the print ID. There are a number of situations where the fingerprint ID is disabled, such as after a reset, if you haven't used touch ID in 48 hours, etc.
    Also of note, if you restore from a backup copy of your iPad from a computer, the biometric data is NOT backed up and you will need to re-do the fingerprints. This makes sense if you think about it- it prevents someone from bypassing the chip storage of your biometric data and accessing your fingerprint(s) by simply restoring your iPad from a backup.
    Hope that helps.

20. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

Half the questions you ask have answers on Apple.com. The other half are personal preference.

21. Closingracer macrumors 68000

the right iPad for me

A) stop being paranoid ....if somebody wants your fingerprint there is way more low tech ways of doing it and yes it's on a chip not through Apple pay , iCloud or etc

B) I do put my 3yr old niece fingerprint on my iPad Air 2 before taking it off before realizing I don't want to buy $6.99 apps I don't fell like paying for lol